PDA

View Full Version : NOW THAT i HAVE A STEYR 95 8X56R

brstevns
02-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Was given a Steyr 95 in 8x56R for a gift. Til I can afford dies, brass and a mold I thought I would see what everyone recommends. Help Please! Looking for loads also.

Wayne Smith
02-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Gentlemen, I will be sending him a couple of clips, some brass, and some bullets and some Frankienstein boolits for his new gun.

BTW, Mr. Stevens, Graffs has the brass and bullets for that gun. I know you are on a short budget, so buy some medium speed powder if you don't have any. From 3031 to 4064 speed works well, as well, if you are interested, a full case of WC867 and a kicker also works well with the Frankenstein boolit.

brstevns
02-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Gentlemen, I will be sending him a couple of clips, some brass, and some bullets and some Frankienstein boolits for his new gun.

BTW, Mr. Stevens, Graffs has the brass and bullets for that gun. I know you are on a short budget, so buy some medium speed powder if you don't have any. From 3031 to 4064 speed works well, as well, if you are interested, a full case of WC867 and a kicker also works well with the Frankenstein boolit.

Thank you Sir and God Bless. I think I have some powder that will work. Have AA3100. imr 4198, reloader 15. Will these work?
I might have 1 lb of the AA8700

SciFiJim
02-04-2013, 01:32 AM
For a mold, a 323471 if you can find one. Mine casts a 219gr boolit with my alloy. I use 2400 for powder. Make sure you slug the bore to check the groove diameter.

budman46
02-04-2013, 11:42 AM
lee dies work well for my m95, but their .329" mould listed for the steyr needs to cast at least .331", so i got a lee .338 cal. mould and size it to .331", gas-checked and lubed with liquid alox. it works nicely with 20 gr of 2400 without punishing me.
4198 should work well, also.

the clips which mr. smith gifted you are important; single-loading without first working the rim under the ejector will cause the ejector to break...probably pretty quickly (i don't aim to test the hypothesis).

i enjoy mine...not enough to shoot full power loads, though! recoil is said to be fierce; i like my retinas attached properly to my eyeballs.:mrgreen:

twotoescharlie
02-04-2013, 11:50 AM
do not single load this rifle, must be loaded from a clip. forcing the extractor over the rim of the bullet will break it. bullet must enter the extractor from underneath. don't know what the situation is now, but several years ago parts were hard to find especially extractors.

TTC

brstevns
02-04-2013, 12:25 PM
lee dies work well for my m95, but their .329" mould listed for the steyr needs to cast at least .331", so i got a lee .338 cal. mould and size it to .331", gas-checked and lubed with liquid alox. it works nicely with 20 gr of 2400 without punishing me.
4198 should work well, also.

the clips which mr. smith gifted you are important; single-loading without first working the rim under the ejector will cause the ejector to break...probably pretty quickly (i don't aim to test the hypothesis).

i enjoy mine...not enough to shoot full power loads, though! recoil is said to be fierce; i like my retinas attached properly to my eyeballs.:mrgreen:

Thanks for the information on using the 338 bullet. Were did you get the sizer die? I first need to size bore and will go from there. Do you know what FPS you are getting with the 2400 load?

wallenba
02-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Also, if you remove the bolt from the rifle, be ready for a challenge getting it back in. There's a trick using a dime. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOSGRXguXM
Like the others have said, use the enbloc. If you break that extractor, I doubt you will find a replacement. This rimmed cartridge and magazine are designed to allow the case rim to slide up and under the extractor claw. Note how the bolt face has no rim on the bottom edge.
I resort to loaded ammo for brass sometimes. Here's some reloadable non-corrosive primer stuff. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/791227/prvi-partizan-ammunition-8x56mm-rimmed-hungarian-rs-mannlicher-208-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-20
I prefer the FMJ version, since they are not crimped into a cannalure like the soft points. A plus if you just plan to pull them like I do. The review states they have a .323 diam. Mine all check .329.

Wayne Smith
02-04-2013, 01:55 PM
OK, you have coming 15 cases in 3 clips. Some of the condom bullets and some of the OldFeller Frankenstein boolits from my mold. I believe NOE now has this? Sizing dies come from Buckshot as far as I am concerned. He does both the H&I style for the Lyman and RCBS or the Lee style. He and OldFeller cooperated on the original Frankenstein design and he has several of these rifles and knows them inside out. Do a search here for the 1895 Steyr or for the 8x56R cartridge and you will get an education. All you need to do is PM him and tell him what you have and need.

I don't know the AA powder, the others are within the speed range. Hornaday should have data for this cartridge.

brstevns
02-04-2013, 02:21 PM
God Bless you Wayne Smith

TreeKiller
02-04-2013, 11:15 PM
People say to only load from the clip but if you lay a round on the follower that pushes the rounds up from the clip and close the bolt with the gun pointed up you will notice that the rim of the case will slide up under the extractor just as when fed from the clip.

DIRT Farmer
02-05-2013, 01:09 AM
In mine the Lee 220 grn 338 boolit chambers easy as cast and finger lubed no gas check. I am loading with 10B101 so the powder choice won't help. I am using Lee dies and needle nose to flare the case mouth, loading on the cheep, shooting as well as I could expect with the trigger mine has.

brstevns
02-05-2013, 10:30 AM
In mine the Lee 220 grn 338 boolit chambers easy as cast and finger lubed no gas check. I am loading with 10B101 so the powder choice won't help. I am using Lee dies and needle nose to flare the case mouth, loading on the cheep, shooting as well as I could expect with the trigger mine has.

did you slug your bore? wondering what it measures?

budman46
02-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the information on using the 338 bullet. Were did you get the sizer die? I first need to size bore and will go from there. Do you know what FPS you are getting with the 2400 load?

the sizer die is one of lee's units that i honed out to .331" (my bore size) with emery/crocus cloth in a split brass rod and a cordless drill. chrono'd, the load gave me 1800 fps.

Wayne Smith
02-05-2013, 11:39 AM
I just remembered, if you get the Lee die set the Oldfellers Frankenstein I sent you will not slide through the seat die. I sent mine back to Lee with a couple of boolits and they reamed it out to fit. It is a simple job, any machinist can do it in a few minutes. If you know what you are doing you can probably do it yourself.

brstevns
02-05-2013, 02:41 PM
I just remembered, if you get the Lee die set the Oldfellers Frankenstein I sent you will not slide through the seat die. I sent mine back to Lee with a couple of boolits and they reamed it out to fit. It is a simple job, any machinist can do it in a few minutes. If you know what you are doing you can probably do it yourself.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I can do that myself if needed.

bcp477
02-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Something else to consider. The 8 x 56R might well make a terrific PAPER PATCH rifle. I considered getting one for a long while, so I considered the details (based on paper-patching for my Mauser) before even looking for a rifle. The point is, depending on the actual groove diameter of your rifle, it might be very easy to work out a paper patch boolit combination. That would accomplish two things at once.... namely, an easier time making common sized boolits work in the rifle and being able to make loads that you can shoot at "normal" rifle velocities, i.e., over 2000 fps.

Just food for thought.....

brstevns
02-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Something else to consider. The 8 x 56R might well make a terrific PAPER PATCH rifle. I considered getting one for a long while, so I considered the details (based on paper-patching for my Mauser) before even looking for a rifle. The point is, depending on the actual groove diameter of your rifle, it might be very easy to work out a paper patch boolit combination. That would accomplish two things at once.... namely, an easier time making common sized boolits work in the rifle and being able to make loads that you can shoot at "normal" rifle velocities, i.e., over 2000 fps.

Just food for thought.....

Right now the only mould I have that might work for PP is one for the 303 british that makes a .316 dia bullet at 220gr.

junkbug
02-06-2013, 06:17 PM
What diameter cast bullet would you guys choose to paper patch a 8x56R Hungarian, all other things being equal? Would you want .010" under groove diameter, or.015" under groove diameter.

Thanks. Hope I'm not drifting this off topic.

brstevns
02-06-2013, 11:44 PM
What diameter cast bullet would you guys choose to paper patch a 8x56R Hungarian, all other things being equal? Would you want .010" under groove diameter, or.015" under groove diameter.

Thanks. Hope I'm not drifting this off topic.

No way are you drifting I am wondering the same.

DIRT Farmer
02-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Actualy I just loaded one round, it fit in the gun and shot it into a mud bank, recovered the boolit, it had land marks lightly inpressed on the nose and showed no sign of cutting in the grouve marks. I figured the reading on that one would be off anyway and never got around to slugging it.

gojo41
02-08-2013, 11:34 AM
I use the lee .329,205gr gas check mould,hornady 8mm gas checks, lee liquid alox, lee .329 sizer die,23gr imr4198+ small dacron tuft shaped like a cigerette to keep powder against the primer,with rear sight upright in its lowest position I can hit steel 90% of the time at 300yds

Wayne Smith
02-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Bill, if you get a copy of the Frankenstein mold you will have to get some .338 gas checks from Blammer.

brstevns
02-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Bill, if you get a copy of the Frankenstein mold you will have to get some .338 gas checks from Blammer.

For the time being I will probably go with the Lee 338 mold and size down if need be.

wallenba
02-08-2013, 01:14 PM

Yeah, the bigger boolit will not go up in it. I solved my problem with an RCBS 338 Ruger Compact Magnum seater die. It's short enough and fat enough for the 8x56r.

Dschuttig
02-08-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm running the frankenstien mold here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?145207-Attn-Steyr-M95-owners!-8X56R-Mihec-Oldfeller-frankenstien-Boolit-Re-do-starts-Here!!!

If anyone wants one let me know. This one is going to be made my Miha and will have hollow point option./ Dan

Fishman
02-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Has any company made some new clips for these rifles? Seems it would be cheap to do and profitable.

Wayne Smith
02-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Don't know of anyone making them. They are available on eBay. Bill, I think you will need the 338 gas checks for the Lee mold, too. You can check and see what Darrel, or Blammer has in stock. I got mine from him.

brstevns
02-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Don't know of anyone making them. They are available on eBay. Bill, I think you will need the 338 gas checks for the Lee mold, too. You can check and see what Darrel, or Blammer has in stock. I got mine from him.

Thanks. As soon as I can save enough or trade for the mold< I will look into the gas checks.

Wayne Smith
02-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Bill, expect another package. I have some of the Lee boolits set up to use but, with the Frankenstein, I probably won't bother. I can box them up for you and you can compare how they shoot in your rifle. They are sized in the same size die, so that won't change.

brstevns
02-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Bill, expect another package. I have some of the Lee boolits set up to use but, with the Frankenstein, I probably won't bother. I can box them up for you and you can compare how they shoot in your rifle. They are sized in the same size die, so that won't change.

Thank you again Sir. Hope someday to be able to pay you back for your kindness.

Wayne Smith
02-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Bill, just pass it on to someone who needs it. That's what I am doing.

Windyvista
03-08-2013, 11:03 AM
I purchased a Steyr M95 for my teenage son as a Christmas present. He saw it in a gun shop one day and fell in love with it. I was pointed to buffaloarms.com and Graffs.com as sites for 8x56r reloading supplies and ammunition. Buffaloarms.com sells the clips for the M95. The best price I found on brass was at Graffs.com $56 /100.

brstevns
03-08-2013, 06:41 PM
What COL are you guys using for the Lee.338 bullet?

Buckshot
03-09-2013, 03:19 AM
What COL are you guys using for the Lee.338 bullet?

...........Too cold to run out to the shop to check my notebook, but you can seat it to place the GC at the neck/shoulder. Then just check it in your carbine's magazine. If I were to decide to paper patch for the M95 I'd sure start out with the 210gr Loverin Lyman 323471, and patch it with 16 lb typing paper. Might have to size the slug down a thou or 2, but maybe not with their generous (usually very generous) throats.

.............Buckshot

zaphod042
04-11-2013, 01:41 AM
I just purchase an Steyr 95 8x56R from J&G - should get it on Friday. Does anyone have a cheap source for stripper clips? I had tried e-sarco.com which had them listed at $3.00 each but just an email back saying they were sold out. ebay prices are much too high - I want them to shoot with not for a collection. I'm going to slug the bore of the rifle but I expect that the bore diameter is not going to be the nominal .329 -- is it better to buy a .329 mold and "beagle" it up or buy a .338 mold and size the bullet down? Does anyone make custom H&I style bullet sizer dies for the Lyman 4500 or RCBS lube-a-matic? It appears from my research that Lee the only source for .329 bullet sizing dies that can be honed to .330 to .335 - is that correct?

muskeg13
04-11-2013, 04:06 AM
zaphod042, I'd wait on the mould until you have a chance to slug the bore. Mine came in at .330, and the Lee .329 mould actually casts them at .330, so it works fine without beagling or having to size .338 cast boolits down. Also, the Lee .329 sizer (actually .330) can be used to size any .338 jacketed down to .330, just lube them up good first. Buffalo Arms may be able to supply custom sizing dies http://www.buffaloarms.com/.200_.400_caliber_custom_rcbs_and_lyman_sizing_die s_pr-4179.aspx?CAT=4179

Good luck on the clips. I got a few from Sarco 2 years ago, then picked up more with loaded 1938 Nazi ammo at a gun show for less than what I paid for the Sarco clips alone. You can shoot rounds singly by fitting them under the extractor and against the bolt face as you chamber a round. You won't break the extractor this way.