PDA

View Full Version : Faster way of sizing and lubing bullets

Mousehouse
02-03-2013, 05:00 PM
I have been using a Lee sizing and lube set. One of the old Lee lube sets that came with a small dish, lube and cutter. It works well but isn't very fast. With ammo being in short supply I am thinking about ramping up my lead bullet production. Plus I want to shoot more.

What are my options for a better sizing and lube setup?

Mike W1
02-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Something like the Lyman 4500 or the RCBS LAM2 or a Star. Most prefer the RCBS over the Lyman it seems. I have the RCBS myself and set up right I can obtain speeds of 750+/hr with it. The Star is supposed to be a lot faster but then it costs considerably more too. I couldn't justify the cost of one myself and I think it's a little trickier to set up for smaller batches than the othersfrom what I've read. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Tomuchiron
02-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Speed up your lee sizer. turn the press upside down and remount it.
then just drop your bullet in the hole. If you get real fast you will pinch your finger. that is where the extension tubes started. Lube your bullets before resizing. I been using spray silicone because I have alot and no other use for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xYkgeAMoBY
Tumble lube has been working fine for me.
Mike

MT Chambers
02-04-2013, 12:37 AM
The Star sizer is the easiest and fastest by far and without any mess, if I could only have one it would def. be the Star, about 5 times faster then the RCBS.

engineer401
02-04-2013, 01:41 AM
The Star sizer is the easiest and fastest by far and without any mess, if I could only have one it would def. be the Star, about 5 times faster then the RCBS.

I agree. I used to have a 4500. I went to the Magma/Star and never looked back. Most of my dies are form Lathesmith, a Vendor Sponsor. He does good work and is a stand-up guy. An air feed and heater are must have. They saves a lot time and of guess work on the piston. My heater is simply a Lyman heater and a dimmer switch.

Lefty SRH
02-04-2013, 06:28 AM
I have 2 Lyman 4500s and 1 Star. The Star is definately the fastest but not well suited for small runs unless you have a punch and die set thats stays set for a specific boolit.