PDA

View Full Version : Corn Cob Tumbling Media

Reg
02-03-2013, 02:28 PM
I generally use ground cob media with Nu Car Wax for a final shine on cases.
While going through supplies a couple of weeks ago I noticed I was out of this media and decided to pick up some while on a trip to Denver. Hit every store in town , Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Sportsmans Warehouse, etc. and there was none to be found and no one seemed to know when they would be getting more.
I had noticed some corn cob bedding material in the pet supply section of a local store and was wondering if it would make a viable replacement. Got a sack. Big bag is only 3.00 but it is only a very course grind. About the size of a split pea.
Did go ahead and tried it and while not as nice as the regular stuff it did produce a shine but talk about getting jammed and packed in bottle neck cases !!! Real PITA to remove.
Had to use a small screw driver and actually pick that stuff out of each and every case. Didn't seem to do that with straight wall pistol cases.
My question is---- is there any way to grind this stuff up finer. I think if one could get it to about the same degree of grind that the stuff we buy for tumbling it would work fine and be another good source of supply.
It actually seems harder than one would suspect. Tried a meat grinder and that was a mistake. Jammed things up real good. Was looking at the wife's food processor and the looks I got back made me change my mind real quick. Tried a old hand crank grain grinder and about a half hours work netted me at least a tea spoon amount that didn't look too bad. Figured it might take several months to grind up that bag that is if you didn't eat or sleep for that several months.
There has to be a way.
Help !!
Anyone have any ideas ???????????????

44Vaquero
02-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Lizard beding, also sold at the pet store works well. It is comprised of crushed walnut shells. I like it better than corn cob. YMMV

bobthenailer
02-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Try drillspot.com/products/52...bs_blast_media they have the correct size in 40 lb bags , very reasonable price with shipping included @$35.92 deliverd

Kydaddy
02-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Grainger also has blast media in very fine grit. Works great and real cheap

220swiftfn
02-04-2013, 01:55 AM
A grain grinder takes sooo much time because it's too fine..... Try a coffee grinder instead if you REALLY need to proove it to yourself (or just get the "lizard litter" as mentioned earlier....)

Dan

mdi
02-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Try drillspot.com/products/52...bs_blast_media they have the correct size in 40 lb bags , very reasonable price with shipping included @$35.92 deliverd
I bought a bag when it was $25.00 delivered and still have a bunch left. Still a good buy. Usually the pet store corn cob bedding is softer, larger flakes than the blasting media (which works 100% better) and doesn't work very well. Also, one of the walnut/lizzard litters is light tan in color and finer than the "blasting media" walnut and doesn't clean as good/fast (the "desert brand" from Pet Solutions), It works but not as good as the darker, coarser stuff...

mongoosesnipe
02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
I run a 90/10 mix of walnut hulls to corn the walnut cleans better the the corn but you need the corn in the mix to get the shine and the walnut lasts a lot longer than corn but and form of corn or walnut will work the same there isn't and gun specific plant media. You could run the bedding you have through a grain mil or grinder to get it smaller but you would probably be better served just getting a new bag of finer ground media nth at said I am looking into building a rotary soap water stainless steel media tumbler they do some impressive cleaning compared to vibratory tumblers

MR835
02-07-2013, 03:27 PM
As stated drillspot has corn cob in the perfect grade 20/40 will not plug up primer pockets. I use Walnut shells in 18/40 grade works wonderful. I add Flitz polish to both media.

SAFE SHOOTING ALWAYS.

MR835 IS GONE

David2011
02-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Another vote for Drillspot.com. I believe they're a subsidiary of Grainger. I got mine overnight at the "shipping included" price and have seen similar posts from others here. It's the best corn cob I've used. YMMV.

David

John Boy
02-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Do any reloaders consider that wet cleaning of brass with a rotary tumbler is faster, more efficient, less messy and cheaper in the long run?

Here's an example using polishing media and a burnishing solution

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Casting/IMGP1026.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Casting/IMGP1024.jpg

Reg
02-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Do any reloaders consider that wet cleaning of brass with a rotary tumbler is faster, more efficient, less messy and cheaper in the long run?

John Boy,
Now those are some very impressive looking cases, would you care to talk a bit more about the process.

Tried the coffee grinder, was either big chunks or fine dust. Not too good.

Yes, could go out and just buy what is out there but am trying to take a simple and readily available product one can find anywhere and make it usable.

There has to be a simple way to take the course ground cob material and reduce it just a bit finer. Just haven't found it yet is all.

jcwit
02-08-2013, 09:23 AM
There has to be a simple way to take the course ground cob material and reduce it just a bit finer. Just haven't found it yet is all.

I don't think there is something thats available to the ordinary man.

Invent something, or go to DrillSpot as has been recommended. Cost is low, and the shipping is free.

oldtoolsniper
02-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Yes I did the same thing you did.... I became one with a dental pick... I found that tapping the open end on the pool ball handle got the stuff out pretty fast however my floor is covered with it. It was cheap but the time involved wasn't so fun.

What about a food processor from a thrift shop. I hope you find the answer!

mdi
02-08-2013, 01:53 PM

Yes, considered it. The extra cost of a good rotary unit and stainless steel pins and the mess of a soapy liquid plus rinsing and drying kinda left me "cold". If I were going to submit my cleaned brass to an art museum or take photos of the interior (great fotos, BTW!) I would reconsider. But I get very clean and shiny brass in my wobbler with drillspot media so that's good enough for me and my guns (95% of the time I shoot alone and I'm the only one to see my ammo).

I reloaded for 12 years before I got a tumbler (a small rock tumbler), and found dull brown brass shot just as safely and accurately as virgin appearing, shiny brass. If I were to get another tumbler now though, it would prolly be a rotary.

oldtoolsniper
02-08-2013, 02:09 PM
I do use the stainless pin wet method as well. I heat my house with wood so this time of year drying brass is pretty easy for me. I have two regular shakers I use with corn or walnut media and I have the ceramic media as well. Each way has it's plus and minus column. I prefer the wet stainless above the others because there is no dust and all the crud goes down the drain.. I don't really think its necessary to have it that clean but after 23 years in the Corps I believe brass and shoes should be shiny!

The ceramic does as good a job as stainless but it is a bear with bottle neck cases, unless you like shaking each case by hand I would not go that route. It does a great job on straight wall stuff. .223 with ceramic and you will be drinking before you get to a hundred cases.

Reg
02-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Tried the food processor, chunks and dust.
There's gotta be a way !!

dilly
02-11-2013, 02:33 AM
I can't tell you the way but my experience has mirrored yours. The corn media was just too big, and jams the primer pockets terribly. Lizard litter walnut media is what I use. By the way, who cares how long it takes? I mean I really just leave it on while I'm at work anyway. You don't have to babysit it.

llwsgn
02-16-2013, 07:17 PM

+1 This stuff works very well for me

Reg
02-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Hate to give up on great ideas but it looks like drillspot is going to be the way out.
It just dosn't look like there is any reasonable way to reduce the stuff to a usable size without a lot of work and making a tremendous amount of fine dust.
As the saying goes--- it was sure one heck of a idea !!!!

:takinWiz: