PDA

View Full Version : ring on my 9mm boolit when setting

corey012778
02-03-2013, 01:29 PM
I made up 3 dummy rounds to set my crimping. when I went to inspect the from the setting process. right now I am using a lyman setting die I picked up off fleebay for like $14. I do have an lee setting die, but have to do the whole depth setting process again.

so is the ring on the top of boolits normal? I been mainly casting for muzzleloaders and just got into center fire this year.

MtGun44
02-04-2013, 01:15 AM
The seater should match the boolit shape. Many have a semiwadcutter or round nosed boolit seater
stem that can be interchanged, or older ones had only one - RN or SWC.

If you use the wrong style, it can mark the boolit nose, mostly consmetic, but will not give as consistent
LOA as a proper punch.

Bill

corey012778
02-04-2013, 02:11 AM
ok, so don't really worry.

mdi
02-04-2013, 01:43 PM
The ring is from an illfitting seating die stem/punch as MtGun44 says. You can use some emery paper or the like to polish the "socket" or drill it to a better fit on your bullets, or just shoot 'em. If you are seating the bullet and crimping at the same time you may get rid of the ridge by separating the process and seating, then crimping (added pressure to seat against the crimp may be imprinting the lead bullets...).

HATCH
02-04-2013, 01:47 PM
On my 40 cal/10mm seating die there is a hole in the center of it.
It will leave a small circle on the top of all the rounds.

I am tempted to fill the hole in with JB WELD and then smooth it out but I sent my 40/10mm mold off to get hollowpointed so it will be a moot point in a few weeks as the hollowpoint will be bigger then the circle.

ROGER4314
02-17-2013, 02:05 AM
I've known people who epoxy their seating plug and custom fit it to the bullet they are using. I don't worry about the little ring if it appears. If the bullet is badly deformed like a soft point being crushed, I might react differently.

Flash