PDA

View Full Version : Goofing at the range

7br
07-21-2007, 10:00 PM
I finally got a chance to head out to the range with my nephew for some basic powder burning. My choice of arms was a T/C contender in .22 hornet, a Dan Wesson .41 mag, and a T/C scout muzzle loading pistol.

I am actually trying to get ready to shoot IHMSA Field pistol, so most of the shooting was done at a 1/2 sized steel chicken and offhand.

I increase the hornet load from 4.3 to 4.4 gr of 231 with a rem 7 1/2 primer. The bullet is a 55gr RCBS that I had to beagle up to .224. (Welcome back Beagle) I know the pistol primers are supposed to be better, but I don't shoot well enough to tell. I feel pretty good at 25 yards. I moved the chicken out to 75 and couldn't buy a hit. I really need to get a full set of swingers.

My nephew picked up an ol' chrony at at yardsale with a bunch of other stuff. I ran three of the last five through the chrony. They grouped at 1.5 inches. Nephew ran the other two through and they were about 1in apart, but 3 inches to the right of where I hit. Top velocity was about 1725 and the low was about 1675. Wish it was a little bit tighter.

Next up was the Dan Wesson. It is a big and heavy and just hangs where you point it. Chickens were pretty well toast at 25 yards, by I still need longer range practice. 5 rounds through the chrony with 230gr LFN went 1214, 1173, 1192, 1187, and 1203 fps. This is with WW296 and Federal Mag match primers.

The muzzleloader was accurate enough to make me comfortable for deer hunting out to about 35 yards. I ran a 250gr Lee REAL over 70gr of Hodgdon 777. The mv from a single shot was 1255. Loading was very difficult. I really need to go with a sabot .44 or softer lead.

Got home and lubed up about 150 of the 55RCBS and need to get them loaded.