PDA

View Full Version : hmm.. smokes a bit

cloakndagger
02-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Does "smoky" ammo affect accuracy? My latest test round out of my 38 using universal is smoky-er than my unique load for the same bullet. It didnt seem to bother my groups.

Tatume
02-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Are you talking about smoke in the air or smoke on your fired cases? If the latter, it means obturation of your cases is insufficient to seal the gasses. If the former, it's probably lube burning.

44MAG#1
02-03-2013, 01:51 PM
"It didnt seem to bother my groups."
Would that not be your answer? Sometimes we have our answer to a question right before us but fail to see it.
We are all that way at times.

I'll Make Mine
02-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Does "smoky" ammo affect accuracy?

Shooting through a cloud of smoke will often make it hard to see the target, and you probably can't hit what you can't see. Other than that, the smoke is all behind the boolit, so shouldn't have any effect on the grouping.

44man
02-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Another crazy thing to figure. Powder smoke just means some carbon but lube smoke can mean ash left in the bore.
Proper, accurate loads will have carbon and lube left on the brass because the pressure peak is farther out and brass is contracting from the cylinder walls. Clean brass means quicker pressure rise and maybe boolit damage. It is nothing to look for.
Accuracy is still number one even if brass is filthy and mine is filthy. Even overnight in the tumbler does not remove the lube.