PDA

View Full Version : Same bullet, differant revolveer.

greenrivers
02-02-2013, 11:35 PM
I have been using a 300gr. WFN GC Lyman bullet cast of WW and water quenched over 12gr of Unique in a Ruger SRH for several years without leading. I recently replaced the Ruger with a new Freedom arms model 83 in the same caliber, .454 Casull. After a number of rounds using a jacketed bullet, I switched to the cast and was pleased with it's accuracy. But when I checked the bore I found a lead build up ahead of the forcing cone, in the lands. None in the cylinder or forcing cone. The bullets mike out at .4525, while the forcing cone and barrel are both .4535. Sound like a lube issue? The barrel looks smooth and perfect with no signs or feel of restriction or roughness. My first thought was that the load is too light for the bullet to obturate to the throats and barrel, but there would be signs of lead in other areas as well wouldn't there? Anyone else had this issue?

**oneshot**
02-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Sounds like you need to size them a smidge bigger. How do they fit the cylinder throats? I size to a finger push through on the cylinder.
I cast for 2 different Ruger BH's and have to size different for each. They both like the same alloy, just different size.

greenrivers
02-03-2013, 04:29 PM
It did occur to me that the bullet needed to be sized a bit larger to fit the throats closer, but I did test them for push through before loading them and it was a great fit. Besides if it were base cutting I would think that the throats and cone would be leaded. That is what is confusing. As it is a Freedom Arms, I doubt if I can size any larger as they would not chamber. ?????????????

runfiverun
02-03-2013, 06:19 PM
sounds like a constriction in the throat right there to me.

greenrivers
02-06-2013, 01:15 AM
I have been spending some time in past posts looking for an answer before trying something else. One of the things I had noted was that Freedom Arms recomends very hard bullets to prevent forcing cone damage. But when I ran across a post that someone stated they used a fifty fifty mix of WW and Lino, the light went on. (Not a real big bulb to start with) Shot some today over a charge of 2400 and got outstanding accuracy with no leading. (Thanks Lloyd!) Hope I can return the favor.