PDA

View Full Version : New Reload's

Gliden07
02-02-2013, 10:58 PM
I've been setting up my New Hornady LNL AP press for about 11/2 months. Because of the shortages mainly, finally got everything set up and ready to go! Cast 330 Boolits with a LEE TL356-124-TC, let Boolits harden for a week I sized 25 at .356 (Gun slugged at .355) loaded them with 4 grains of W231 and OAL was 1.090, also loaded 25 that I didn't size same spec, both Boolits were tumble lubed with 45-45-10.

Went to the Range today shot 10 of the sized loads, took barrel off and checked for leading nice and clean!! Very Accurate too!! Shot the other 15 checked again very nice!! Then I shot the 25 unsized loads they worked fine too, no leading. Loads seem very accurate too, 7-10 yard groups in 2" range! Sub 1" double taps!! Will be GREAT IDPA loads. Four grains of W231 nice light recoil very easy to get back on target. The only thing I'm not real happy with is the loads are a little smokey, I know its the 45-45-10.

After reading all the things on here about how difficult 9MM could be to load I was worried it wasn't gonna be one of my better decision's. I'm glad everything worked out!! Came home tonight and sized the remaining Boolits and tumble lubed them, Gonna see how well the progressive part of the AP press works next! :-D

PS: Thanks to all that helped me out with info and components as well!!

ShootR
02-02-2013, 11:14 PM
I do almost the same process as you. It works great. You will like the progressive part.

runfiverun
02-03-2013, 12:07 AM
231 is a smokey powder all on it's own.
i used to shoot 4 grs of it in cowboy shoots [in 38 specials rounds] to simulate black powder.
back when the game was fun.

blikseme300
02-03-2013, 02:05 AM
9mm is not hard to load if you pay attention to detail. The most common problem being squeezing down the boolit in size by the brass. A proper expander is a must to prevent this.

I use LnL AP's as well, 4 on my bench currently and one is dedicated to 9mm. The case collator & feeder sure speeds things up a lot. I have a custom PTX that opens up the brass nicely so that the boolits are not sized down. I use Lee 124TC boolit as well.

I am puzzled by the OP's mention of waiting for the boolits to harden before loading. Cast for most pistols don't need super hard alloy as size & fit are always king. The only pistol calibers that need true hardball are the 357 Max and 10mm in my experience.

Smoky loads are a different animal. It is very unlikely that 45-45-10 is the cause of the smoky loads. I have observed more smoke from bees wax based lube than the TL mentioned using the same powder. Some powders are just smoky, especially when down loaded. As long as the loads are accurate the smoke don't matter. Just don't be down wind when shooting these if you don't like it.

Gliden07
02-03-2013, 08:57 AM
9mm is not hard to load if you pay attention to detail. The most common problem being squeezing down the boolit in size by the brass. A proper expander is a must to prevent this.

I use LnL AP's as well, 4 on my bench currently and one is dedicated to 9mm. The case collator & feeder sure speeds things up a lot. I have a custom PTX that opens up the brass nicely so that the boolits are not sized down. I use Lee 124TC boolit as well.

I am puzzled by the OP's mention of waiting for the boolits to harden before loading. Cast for most pistols don't need super hard alloy as size & fit are always king. The only pistol calibers that need true hardball are the 357 Max and 10mm in my experience.

Smoky loads are a different animal. It is very unlikely that 45-45-10 is the cause of the smoky loads. I have observed more smoke from bees wax based lube than the TL mentioned using the same powder. Some powders are just smoky, especially when down loaded. As long as the loads are accurate the smoke don't matter. Just don't be down wind when shooting these if you don't like it.

I use ACWW for my Boolits. After my first casting session and posting on here, it was suggested that I let my Boolits rest for about a week to harden before sizing. Since I was new to this hobby and open to suggestions I did it, now when I cast its just part of my procedure. I don't think it makes the Boolits significantly harder I think it stabilizes the Boolits prior to final sizing and part of that is a slight hardening? Maybe someone with more know how could chime in and explain it?