PDA

View Full Version : Mildot scopes????

waco
02-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Is there a good place that easily explaines how to use a Mildot scope?
Seems pretty complicated to me.
I have a rifle I bought with a Leopoldo 3.5X10 Mildot varix 3
And would love to know how to properly use the scope.
Any help would be great!
Thanks guys.
Waco

Bullshop
02-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Not complicated at all. 1 mill = 3.6" at 100 yards
double at 200
tripple at 300
ect.
1 mill = 36" at 1000 yards
Use it to estimate range if you know the dimentions of your target or to compensate for drop.
Here is a simple example Say your intended target is 500 yards away and you have a 100 yard zero. Look at your trajectory chart and find that lets say your bullet will drop 36" at 500 yards from a 100 yard zero. OK at 500 yards 1 mill = 5x 3.6 or 18" Your correction would then be 2 mill or 18" x 2 = 36" Cabish?
If you decide its too much trouble I would like to buy the scope.

kweidner
02-02-2013, 09:59 PM
They are great for quick aiming points too. Sometimes I don't have time to dial with ranges out to 500 on my flat shooting Rifles, I can use the mils or halfway point and hold less than MOA at target easy. Remember though that your scope is not a first focal plane design. Do this testing at max power until you get the hang of it. If you dial down power your impact point will change accordingly. I have my quick reference field tables calibrated for maximum power as there is less room for errors when the scope is topped out. Who is to say you can zoom to 14 power exactly correct every time? There is no argue on all the way up.

P.K.
02-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Not complicated at all. 1 mill = 3.6" at 100 yards
double at 200
tripple at 300
ect.
1 mill = 36" at 1000 yards
Use it to estimate range if you know the dimentions of your target or to compensate for drop.
Here is a simple example Say your intended target is 500 yards away and you have a 100 yard zero. Look at your trajectory chart and find that lets say your bullet will drop 36" at 500 yards from a 100 yard zero. OK at 500 yards 1 mill = 5x 3.6 or 18" Your correction would then be 2 mill or 18" x 2 = 36" Cabish?
If you decide its too much trouble I would like to buy the scope.

:goodpost:

Although how an esteemed rocket surgeon such as yourself misspelled "capiche "is a head scratcher.:bigsmyl2:

kweidner
02-02-2013, 10:14 PM
I forgot I also sometimes use them to get rifles without enough scope elevation out to 1000+. The third mil adds about 11.3 minutes. (10.8 x 1.047 for third mil to moa conversion) If my scope only has 20 minutes of up and I need 27, I use 3rd mil as aiming point and dial the difference 15.7. Had you not done the conversion to moa you would have dialed 16.2 and had a .5 MOA miss. Thats only 5 inches and change at 1000 but worth noting. I have some sightrons with 1 inch tubes and no canted base that requires this to get my 142 smk out to 1000+ with my 6.5 x .284.

375RUGER
02-02-2013, 10:19 PM
http://www.leupold.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Tactical-Milling-Reticle-Man.pdf?9d7bd4

or

http://www.mildotmaster.com/index.htm

Artful
02-02-2013, 10:42 PM
This the one you got?
http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Leupold_LRM3.asp

http://www.tacticalforums.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001277.html

Mil-dot Reticle is designed for correct use at one power setting, keep that in mind.

W.R.Buchanan
02-02-2013, 10:47 PM
I just bought myself a Leupold VX-R 3x9 Scope with the Mil Dot reticle for Christmas. I am mounting on my Gunsite Carbine as soon as I finish the mount. I also got a XS Picatinny full length rib with Peep sight at the rear.

Believe me the Leupold instructions are not very clear.

I was going to get a mildot master from Dillon just to be able to do quick calcs at oddball distances.

I use this gun primarily for shooting LR Silhouette, and the distances are known and I have my load sussed out very close in MOA.

With the gun zeroed at 200yds, I have 4 holdovers for the 4 distances. .5 MOA /200m 4.0moa/300m 7.5 moa/ 385m and 12.75moa /500m.

I will end up with the same dial moves with the new scope but it will be easier to judge unknown distances with the Mil dot scope.

Something I can't do with a conventional scope.

There are about 50 different places you can download info on how to use the MIL/MIL system. Simpler is better. The Mildot Master instructions are one of the easiest I've seen. You still need to practice a little so it gets imbedded into your brain.

The Mildot system works better with meters.

They teach it to Army troops so it can't be that hard.

Randy

Bullshop
02-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Oh rats man I cant spell in any language!!!
I looked at the sites in the links given and if I had gone there first I would agree its too complicated.
Why oh why make something so simple out to be so complicated or maybe its just that I dont speak laywer.
I can say this once you get the system working in your own head it works "just fine Roy".
I understand you guys clicking in for long range target shooting and that works fine but for my purpose there is not enough time to click and the range is constantly changing so clicking can get confusing. I am talking about hunting fur as an ocupation. You have very little time to call the range and get off the shot. In the past month as is common here on the open prarie in winter I have not had a shot less than 400 yards. With a mil dot scope I keep a 100 yard zero with the cross hair and use hold over to compensate for drop. My scopes are calibrated to .5 mil.
I also use standard duplex ret scopes but set them up to use as a similer system. What I do is zero at 100 yards using the top v of the duplex as my aimimg point. Wit that on a standard 3x9 Leaupold VX11 old model set at 9x you have roughly the equivilent of mil spacings between the top v on the duplex and the center cross hair then another between the center cross and the bottom v.
With a 25/06 I use often with a 100gn bullet at 3300 fps mv that puts me on at 100 top v, 350 center cross, and 500 bottom v. Very fast and dependable IF IF IF you call the range right.

kweidner
02-03-2013, 06:31 AM
My favorite reticles are those that have MOA graduations. They are more precise because there is less distance between them. I am comfortable with mils to 4 or 5 depending on the catridge. The .223 has too much drop out to 5 to use mils alone there is about 7.5 MOA difference in my home swaged bullets between 400 and 500 because of weight and BC. In my 22-250 there is only 2.25 MOA difference at the same ranges. This means with my faster 22-250 I can use the mils very effectivley out to 500. The 223 not so much. It is fine to about 350 with mils alone. If either scope were MOA I could use them both to transonic without clicking. This would get my 22-250 to 700 without even reaching for a turret.

Bullshop
02-03-2013, 11:32 AM
If you have a mil dot scope on a 223 you can get more range using the mil system by sighting in as I described for sighting in a duplex ret. Sight in using the upper most dot to zero at 100 yards so then you have all the remaining positions for hold over.

kweidner
02-03-2013, 02:06 PM
If you have a mil dot scope on a 223 you can get more range using the mil system by sighting in as I described for sighting in a duplex ret. Sight in using the upper most dot to zero at 100 yards so then you have all the remaining positions for hold over.

Agreed about elevation. The problem I run into is distance between the mils. As an example 500 to 600 is 10 MOA and change in my particular load. There is no intermediate hold overs on a MD reticle. You can bracket with the mils and use a halfway point, but over the course of 100 yards you are talking about an almost 3 mil difference. Although theoretically you would have 7 distinct aiming points over those three Mils using halfway points. Keep in mind though you are talking a 90" to 179" inch drop between 5 and 600. This is just not precise enough for anything other than a 2+ moa engagement. 2 moa at 600 is a 12.56" difference. Thats a pretty big miss in my book. If shooting coyotes, it is a difference between a dead animal and a clean miss. Not so much an issue with an elk or moose though. :mrgreen:

mongoosesnipe
02-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Most balistic softwares will give you bullet drop in mils I use the jmb balistic software free online http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi I like mildot scopes more for a windage or hold over aiming point than for range estimating but if you know the target size range can be estimated surprisingly accurately

nekshot
02-03-2013, 02:50 PM
I don't have a mildot scope and would like one but there is more if and ifs in this thread about using them then I think I am capable! Are these ifs the same as "if the cow had b-lls she would've been the bull?"

Bullshop
02-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Thats why for shooting coyotes at long range I use cartridges that shoot flatter than a 223, 25/06 being a favorite. As I said also that my scopes are calibrated in half mils. They have dots with mil spacings and hash marks with half mil spacings for both windage and elivation. Its a workable system for what I am doing. When I miss it is most often because of a bad call in range estimation. I do have a lazer but there is seldome time to use it.
Where the lazer comes in handy is that if I hunt the same area long enough I get to know it by practicing with the lazer. This I do in the off season as well by taking long walk abouts not shooting coyotes but just shooting for ranging. I will lazer distant objects then try to make first shot hits on them. That keeps me tuned up for judging distance in that area in the fur season. I only shoot coyotes when they are prime so I can sell the fur. I expect to see up to $100.00 for my best coyotes this year at the spring NAFA auction. Several of this winters take will make that grade. Keeps my hunter thing well honed and is my way of having fun. That and it pays for itself +.

W.R.Buchanan
02-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Bullshop: When shooting a Coyote for fur, do you shoot it in the head or body?

I know they are not the easiest animals to actually score on, but do you often get a choice? or, is it what ever brings it down.

Randy

nekshot
02-03-2013, 03:35 PM
At that price I could pay for a luppy in a week. Do the fur buyers take coy dogs?

Bullshop
02-03-2013, 03:56 PM
I try to hit just behind the shoulder for the least amount of damage to the hide and the largest target. With the hide off the carcase is not too big so I aim at the largest part. If the shoulder is hit it will ancher them but will also make a bigger exit hole. I stich all holes before streching. What I said about the price I expect to get did not mean for any coyote from any area. Where I live and one of the reasons I live here in what is called the high line there is a sepperate sort or grade called Montana silky at the auctions. This is the highest grade of all when being sorted and brings the highest price. Lower grades wont do nearly as well.
Sorry about the thread drift but I think the op was answered.

W.R.Buchanan
02-03-2013, 04:28 PM
I expect that hides from AK would be more plush than the ones from SoCal jsut due to the temp differences. I saw one the other day that looked like he had mange or something, he was nearly bald and looking really bad. He was running down the middle of a highway at high noon, so something was not right with him.

I know they are having problems with Wolves that have some kind of mite, that is eating them up at a furious rate. The show I saw started out telling about how the wolves were decimating the elk herds in the northern Yellowstone. The reason why was the mites were eating the wolves up, and by losing so much hair, they were dropping their core temps. This resulted in the wolves having to eat more to maintain their body temps during the winter.

I wonder if Coyotes are affected by the same parasites?

Randy

Doc Highwall
02-03-2013, 05:02 PM
This site does a good job explaining mil dots. Check out his other vidoes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5AGsHSIsVo&list=PLACF2AEF0EC711484&index=9

nekshot
02-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks Doc, even I could understand what he was teaching. Takes the mystery out of all those dots.

migtek02
02-04-2013, 02:20 AM
One more ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAbaBYZa8iI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

waco
02-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll give all the info a look.

Bulltipper
02-07-2013, 07:09 PM
The mildot master comes with a book and a slide rule, for $30 it is in my precision rifle case. Thanks Doc for the video referral, will give me some stuff to review while SWMBO watches her recorded General Hospital in the evenings.

357shooter
02-08-2013, 07:03 AM
OK, I assume SWMBO is your wife. What does it stand for?

Please don't use acronyms assuming everyone knows them. Thanks

Doc Highwall
02-08-2013, 12:21 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed

Bulltipper
02-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks Doc. 357, sorry, I thought if I knew that one, then everybody must know that one...