PDA

View Full Version : I really never expected to get one

Wayne Smith
02-02-2013, 07:52 PM
after my father-in-law's was stolen. Being the cheap bastard I am I figured the 03 was out of sight.

US Remington Model 03-A3 #35531** - unfortunately in a white line roll over cheekpiece white line butplate, pistol-grip cap also white line, and a pistol grip that someone literally scratched on instead of checkering, stock. Black plastic nosepiece, also white line.

Barrel says RA then a flying bomb then 43 under that.

Fortunately someone simply dropped it into the stock after hogging out some wood. Trigger guard and bottom metal are military.

All for $300! So, what do you think?

I kno, but picts will be added tomorrow when I get the other computer up. I don't know how to add pics to an iPad.

Dutchman
02-02-2013, 07:59 PM
I think you can afford to spend maybe $250 to find an 03A3 stock and make the world right again. I don't think you'll be hurt financially with that amount of $$ spent overall. IMO the best stock for a 03A3 to actually shoot is the Type C with pistol grip. The buttstock config is pretty close to the Garand in shape and feel. You might find a repro but I'm not sure about the price.

You can take that white line cr*p stock and cut it in two and toss it in the fireplace and enjoy the flames :).

Dutch

TNsailorman
02-02-2013, 08:17 PM
I think CMP is selling military style stocks for the 1903 and 1903A3. I don't know who makes them for CMP, maybe Boyd's. Boyd's also has the C stocks for the 1903A3. Might want to check those 2 sources out. I agree that your rifle would be worth putting back in order. james

Wayne Smith
02-02-2013, 08:18 PM
I really think I want to do that. What metal do I need? I know a butt plate. Is there any metal on the barrel?

Oh, the front sight insert has a C stamped on it. Does this signify something?

30calflash
02-02-2013, 09:10 PM
I really think I want to do that. What metal do I need? I know a butt plate. Is there any metal on the barrel?

Oh, the front sight insert has a C stamped on it. Does this signify something?

The C stands for the front sight height. A-F IIRC. They were zeroed to the rear sight by installing the one that would coincide at the distance fired. I think the heights were in increments of .015"

Buttplate, swivels front and rear, stacking swivel, front and rear bands and a bayonet lug with attaching screws for all the above. Nice exploded pics on the Gunparts catalog. A3's had stamped parts but you see them with milled hardware at times. HTH.

Wayne Smith
02-02-2013, 09:36 PM
From what I've seen since I've been researching the front sight should also have a hood?

Dutchman
02-02-2013, 10:06 PM
From what I've seen since I've been researching the front sight should also have a hood?

Negatory. What you've seen is a front sight cover. It was not intended to be used when shooting. Protection during transport.

Dutch

Wayne Smith
02-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks. I have a list of parts to get. Gunparts.com is probably the best place. Used to be Numerich Arms, I may even have an old catalog!

Gtek
02-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Gunparts is a throw of the dice IMHO. Springfield Sporters and Bill Ricca are also other very good sources. Gtek

nhrifle
02-03-2013, 12:53 AM
Sounds like the 03A3 that I was shooting just today. I took it in trade for a Kentucky rifle I built. When I got it, Bubba had most definitely done his evil work to it. The stock had been hacked into sporter length, the barrel was chopped down to around 16-1/2", so on. I got a NOS Springfield Armory barrel in trade from a buddy for some cast boolits. I bought all new external metal and an upper handguard from Sarco (except the cross bolts, made those from some round stock I had lying around), a Boyd's C-stock, and an M1907 sling from Midway. Also bought the chamber reamer from Midway.

Long story short, I gave it a new life and returned its self respect, and it rewarded me by being one of the best cast boolit shooters I have. I load mine with the Lyman 311299 over IMR4350, and it will shoot reight along with most rifles out there.

Wayne Smith
02-03-2013, 06:48 PM
As promised, some pics

Wayne Smith
02-03-2013, 06:51 PM
A couple more pics. Military bottom metal, I think, please ignore the stock! I'm trying to. One thing, the barrel is fully free floated, by about 1/4"!

30calflash
02-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Looks like you have the A3 triggerguard/mag assy. Sheetmetal was the standard for almost all of the hardware on these. The above has a lot going for it to be an as issued 03A3 again. You may be able to gunbroker the stock to pay for some of the things you need.

TNsailorman
02-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Wayne, the only parts that I have left from all these years are a handguard band and the sling swivel for it. Unfortunately, I don't have the screw that goes with them. Shoot me your address by private message and I'll get these in the mail to you---no charge. james

30CAL-TEXAN
02-05-2013, 01:00 AM
You might check SARCO they had some 03A3 stocks and other parts listed a while back.

HighHook
02-05-2013, 01:17 AM
Looks like you did great on the price. Nice rifle. Let us know how it shoots.

Multigunner
02-06-2013, 04:51 AM
Negatory. What you've seen is a front sight cover. It was not intended to be used when shooting. Protection during transport.

Dutch

Theres the USMC #10 sight cover that has a larger hood intended for use while shooting.
http://www.users.fast.net/~kragmeister/collection/m1903.htm

These may have been used on the early WW2 1903 as issued to the Marines rather than the 03A3.

PS
I had remembered seeing the larger hood on rifles used in a WW2 era war movie (possibly Guadacannal Diary) and remembered seeing these on Springfields in the same scenes as 1928 Thompsons with similar hooded front sights.