PDA

View Full Version : 91 /30 Accuracy

Sam Johnson
02-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Does anyone have any experience of accuracy testing with the 91/30 . Is accuracy improved with or without the bayonet mounted ?
Sam

Hardcast416taylor
02-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Accuracy is better without the bayonet mounted on the rifle, also a lot of people will feel more comfortable around you on the range with the bayonet off. Most Mosin Nagants give very nice accuracy. With a VERY GOOD barrel cleaning they give better accuracy once the gunk is cleaned out.Robert

Ironnewt
02-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Depends on the particular 91/30. SUPPOSSEDLY the bayonet was only removed when troops were in transit, rear areas and well off the front lines. Imperial Russian (M91's) and later Soviet (91/30's) doctrine was not big on individual unit/soldier actions but mass attacks.

That being said, my 42 Ihzhvesk will out shoot my 37 Tula any day of the week. Bayonet or not

Ironnewt
02-02-2013, 05:14 PM
The previous poster and I were typing at the same time. Bayonets are for the most part frowned upon at the range.

Dutch4122
02-02-2013, 05:24 PM
91/30's were sighted in with the bayonet attached. Most will shoot either to the left or right from the point of aim without the bayonet attached.

You will have to drift the front sight back towards the center in order to correct for windage. Also, they will typically hit 10-12" high at 100 yards on the lowest rear sight setting. This was done because troops were taught to aim at the belt buckle for a high center mass hit.

Hope this helps,

I'll Make Mine
02-03-2013, 02:06 PM
I'd take the bayonet off and store it unless you're going into short range combat.

Shooting high can be corrected at a very reasonable cost with a Smith Sights replacement front sight (adjustable elevation); the Classic Black and Target Gold have a screw adjustment, while the Hunter Red and Tactical Green fiber optic posts are slip fit held by a setscrew (and they really do seem to light up in woods hunting). Shooting right or left without the bayonet is a matter of drifting the sight to compensate. My 91/30 (run of the container, 1943 Izhevsk) has done as well as just over an inch at 50 yards, and averages just about twice that figure, with Bulgarian and Russian surplus 147 grain FMJ and with Brown Bear 203 grain soft point hunting ammunition -- that's more than good enough for any hunting shot I'll get in the heavily wooded North Carolina game lands (furthest I can expect to see a deer is 150 yards -- that's still point blank for elevation when sighted at 25 yards, and no worse than six inch group size).

Of course, if you take the rear sight off its dovetail, you can easily mount a long eye relief scope in its place and then you won't have to worry about where the iron sights are set...