PDA

View Full Version : Safest way to clear boolit stuck in star sizing die?

Jumping Frog
02-02-2013, 03:49 PM
OK, I already started to bend the handle on my Star Lubesizer, so I stopped. I backed the die out and here it is.

Obviously, the boolit I was trying to push through was too big. I also tried using the star fixture you use to clear a bullet and that is what pushed the hole in the surface. Either way, it is too big.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Jumping_Frog/466662cf-72d7-4574-9867-b6dcfb06be57_zpsebdf284c.jpg

What do you suggest is the safest way to get this bullet out. I thought about using my hand drill to drill out the center of the bullet, but I am not willing to risk scoring the sides of the sizing die.

Then I thought, "Well, I surely can't be the first person ever to have a stuck boolit". Suggestions?

dragonrider
02-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Turn it over and support the flange on someithing with a hole in it bigger than the boolit and beat it out with a punch that is just a bit smaller than the size die.

VHoward
02-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Or you could melt it out. I don't think 700 degrees is going to effect the die.

6bg6ga
02-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Turn it over and support the flange on someithing with a hole in it bigger than the boolit and beat it out with a punch that is just a bit smaller than the size die.

This would be the proper way to do it.

captaint
02-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Froggy - All of the above is good advice. I would personally drill it out first, then get
a punch that's big enough. The boolit doesn't look that small diameter. Now - here's
the important part. How not to do it again. Lube that first boolit good. Use lube,
grease, something to slick that baby up. We learn by experience. That's OK, that
way we don't forget. Mike

Jumping Frog
02-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Or you could melt it out. I don't think 700 degrees is going to effect the die.
Yep, this was the answer I tried. Turned on my melting pot and just dipped the flanged end into the melt. Worked like a champ.

Thanks all.

6bg6ga
02-03-2013, 02:19 AM
Depending on the temp that was needed to harden the die this may not be the best method. It may be easier and safer to remove the stuck bullet with a simple punch. By using a punch you don't have to worry about splashing lead when you drop the die into the molten lead.
Safety should be first and foremost.

rodsvet
02-03-2013, 02:37 AM
I don't think I would heat the die as a first attempt. The punch would be my first try. I know nothing about metal hardening or tempering but you can't hurt the die using the right size brass punch.

6bg6ga
02-03-2013, 02:58 AM
Since the title of this thread is "Safest way to clear a bullet stuck in a Star sizing die?" I feel that the safety portion should be stressed to the up most here. Its a heck of a lot safer to remove a stuck bullet with a brass punch than taking a chance of splashing lead when trying to dip the die in molten lead.

runfiverun
02-03-2013, 03:46 AM
you aren't gonna de-temper steel at 700-f.
you might turn it a funny color but not de-temper it.

David2011
02-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Just don't use Kroil on Star dies. I made that mistake once. It does not act as a lubricant when the film is squeezed down to nothing. I tried it just to see if the boolits would slide through more easily. They most definitely did not and the first one got stuck.

David

Ben
02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Jumping Frog

What size bullet did you put into the die and what size is your die ?

Jumping Frog
02-03-2013, 04:41 PM
.435" into a .430"

6bg6ga
02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
That would have gone thru my Ballisti-Cast Mark VI

HATCH
02-08-2013, 07:16 AM
The correct way is to just flip the die over on top of another die (that has a larger hole). Get a punch and hit it out. Its just lead and will come out easily. Just takes two secs.

Now i have found that on a new unused die that it will stick a boolit very easily. I got a new 401 die front lathesmith and stuck a 40/180 in it and locked it up good.
Did this several times until the die got warm enough and some lube got over all the surfaces.

Try using bullplate lube on a boolit and see how it goes....

btroj
02-08-2013, 08:40 AM
I have a mould for 44 mag that drops at .435. I lube lily with lanolin and run them thru a Lee .432 frost then lube with my Star. I don't like sizing down that much with my Star, seems like it puts an awful lot of stress on it.

Muddydogs
02-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Since the title of this thread is "Safest way to clear a bullet stuck in a Star sizing die?" I feel that the safety portion should be stressed to the up most here. Its a heck of a lot safer to remove a stuck bullet with a brass punch than taking a chance of splashing lead when trying to dip the die in molten lead.

Not to be a jurk but really. We melt lead to 700 degrees, put stuff in the lead that might cause flames, stur hot lead with sticks and stuff, add lead to a molten lead pot, pour hot lead into a little bullet mold, heat all kinds of stuff to mix with this or that to make lubes and get worried about holding the top of I die with gloves or pliers in some hot lead to melt out a bullet.