PDA

View Full Version : Bailed out my Rossi today

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-01-2013, 10:57 PM
The 10 day jail period was up today at 3:57 pm and John Hancocked the final papers at 4:12 :-D
Now i need to clean and check function and feed and slug the barrel what leads to my question.
New to riffle sluging and not quite shure how to go about driveing the lead slug thru the barrel, from muzzel to breach or the other way. Your recomendations please.

Thanks Steve

Pb2au
02-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Congrats on the Rossi, you won't be disappointed. I slugged mine from muzzle to breach, well because it was easier......
A small suggestion. Remove the buttstock, wrap the the fore stock with a wrag, open the action, and hold the thing action down over a waste can. Now get a can of brake cleaner and throughly spray out the action. You will be surprised how much grease goo and crud come out of the action.
When you are done, lube it up, put the stock on and you will be good to go.
Enjoy your Rossi!

fordwannabe
02-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Youtube has a very good video on how to slug a barrel. It is some type of mil surp rifle but the principle is the same.

KCSO
02-02-2013, 12:07 AM
I have had a Rossi 357 in the car since 1973, I got it as a patrol rifles to go with my M28 and have had at least one ever since. Other than a little slicking up of the newer ones they have always shot well and been a reliable gun. Since I still carry the M28 once in a while I keep the Rossi in the vehicle and it has never let me down. The only problem I have ever had was one 44 with an oversize bore and a fat 44 cured that nicely.

Unless you are a whiz at taking a 92 apart I would suggest you slug from the muzzle.

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-02-2013, 01:02 AM
Unless you are a whiz at taking a 92 apart I would suggest you slug from the muzzle.

Never had one apart but plan on learning it inside and out

Congrats on the Rossi, you won't be disappointed. I slugged mine from muzzle to breach, well because it was easier......
A small suggestion. Remove the buttstock, wrap the the fore stock with a wrag, open the action, and hold the thing action down over a waste can. Now get a can of brake cleaner and throughly spray out the action. You will be surprised how much grease goo and crud come out of the action.
When you are done, lube it up, put the stock on and you will be good to go.
Enjoy your Rossi!

Turners has Gun Scruber on sale right now and will pic some up in the morning

Buckshot
02-02-2013, 05:23 AM
Turners has Gun Scruber on sale right now and will pic some up in the morning[/QUOTE]

............Use brake or carb cleaner. You can buy 3 cans of that for what they get for the stuff with "Gun' on the label. Does the same thing, trust me. Also I'd suggest you detail strip your new Rossi for 2 reasons. First is simply so you'll have done it and it will no longer be a big mystery. Secondly, I have 2 myself and have dealt with 3 others belonging to 2 friends. They ALL benefited from at least a good internal cleaning and oiling. One from years ago (stainless 38/357 carb) had enough pig's ears and slivers floating around inside to make you want to open your own recycling yard. That was the only one like that, and was in the growing years of SASS so maybe it was a 'hurry up' one.

.............Buckshot

joec
02-02-2013, 09:14 AM
I highly suggest if you want to take it apart spring for Steve's Gunz video which cover how to take it apart and put it back together. He also has some tune ups on it. I did it and haven't been sorry for it and mine is a 45 Colt. There are some other sites that describe it as well as pictures but not as good as Steve's. I used rubbing alcohol to clean all the Taurus/Rossi guns as they do come loaded with grease. I slugged mine from muzzle to breech using a football shaped fishing sinker, the one with the hole through the center.

John Boy
02-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Never had one apart but plan on learning it inside and out
Rossi 92: The COMPLETE - CORRECT Disassembly & Assembly Instructions! (http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=7504.0)

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Rossi 92: The COMPLETE - CORRECT Disassembly & Assembly Instructions! (http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=7504.0)

Very nice,lots of info there, Thanks John