PDA

View Full Version : Pickled Eggs again

Tom-ADC
02-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Used this recipe, and bought 2 dozen hard boiled eggs at Costco, we'll see. I left out the liquid smoke.

DARK AND SPICY EGGS
1½ cups cider vinegar
½ cup water
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon mixed pickling spice
¼ teaspoon liquid smoke or hickory smoke salt
2 teaspoons salt

joec
02-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Here are two I've used and liked though different

First the easy one
Pickled Eggs

We have always made "pickled" eggs with beet juice. We always called them red beet eggs though. Here is the recipe we used:

8 - 10 shelled hard boiled eggs
2 cans of beet juice (approx 1/2 qt)
1/4-1/2 c vinegar (depends on how tart you want it)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c sugar

Mix together and boil in saucepan until sugar is dissolved. Cool and pour over peeled hard boiled eggs. Keep in fridge in a container with a tight lid several days and occasionally shake container to rotate the eggs and make them evenly red. You can also add grated horseradish with the drained beets that had been ground up.

Note: I used can beet and use the beets too.

Now these have some bite to them but love them when I have the time to do them.

Pickled Eggs

36 hard boiled eggs, peeled
3 Tbsp kosher salt
4 1/2 Cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 Cups water
4 1/2 tsp. sugar
2 Tbsp peppercorns, crushed
4 Red Habanero peppers ( stems removed and halved)
1 can chipotle Jalapeno peppers with liquid (adobo sauce)
12 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp crushed allspice
1 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
3/4 tsp. celery seeds
1 lrg. red onion, thinly sliced

Combine the ingredients in a non-reactive saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for about 10-15 minutes. Layer the eggs with the mixture into a CLEAN 1 gallon glass jar, put the lid on and place in the refrigerator. It will take about a week for the eggs to absorb the flavorings. They will keep, if refrigerated, for several weeks.

Makes: 1 gallon, depending on the size of the eggs.

Tom-ADC
02-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Joe, I like the top one, but the bottom one just plain scares me!!

cylinderman
02-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Joe, your second recipe seems just the order for me. Love hot and spicy food with real bite, thanks for the recipe.

joec
02-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Joe, your second recipe seems just the order for me. Love hot and spicy food with real bite, thanks for the recipe.

I like hell hot myself but the first one also works for a daily snake food. I don't get to make the second often due to it takes more work and of course it lasts longer. I still have a few of each though in my fridge. One for the wussies the other for me and the wife, who like hot foods even hotter than I do.

joec
02-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Joe, I like the top one, but the bottom one just plain scares me!!

You could modify it and leave out the Habanero peppers and just use the chipotle in adobo or simply use Jalapeno only, or for that matter an even milder pepper or none at all. These are basically maxed however they are recipes not a formula so feel free to modify to your tastes.

Twinkiethekid
02-09-2013, 10:19 PM
I tried the DARK AND SPICY EGGS! came out awesome thanks!

Tom-ADC
02-11-2013, 01:19 PM
You could modify it and leave out the Habanero peppers and just use the chipotle in adobo or simply use Jalapeno only, or for that matter an even milder pepper or none at all. These are basically maxed however they are recipes not a formula so feel free to modify to your tastes.

I haven't tried mine yet, I'll have a couple for lunch. Glad you liked them.

TheGrimReaper
03-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Used this recipe, and bought 2 dozen hard boiled eggs at Costco, we'll see. I left out the liquid smoke.

DARK AND SPICY EGGS
1½ cups cider vinegar
½ cup water
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon mixed pickling spice
¼ teaspoon liquid smoke or hickory smoke salt
2 teaspoons salt

Made these a few weeks ago, left out the liquad smoke and took to work today. First time I ever tried a pickled egg. Let me tell you........these things are AWSOME!!!

steg
03-20-2013, 12:56 PM
The one basic rule I follow when making pickled eggs is to taste the brine, if the brine tastes good so will the eggs.