PDA

View Full Version : The World of Guns Ammo and Reloading

Huntducks
02-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Got this in a email today from a friend can't say if their is any truth but it sounds like it could be right.

Here you go:

Smith & Wesson-is running at Full capacity making 300+ guns/day-mainly M&P pistols. They are unable to produce any more guns to help with the shortages.
RUGER: Plans to increase from 75% to 100% in the next 90 days.
FNH: Moving from 50% production to 75% by Feb 1st and 100% by March 1.
Remington-Maxed out!
Armalite: Maxed out!
DPMS: Can't get enough parts to produce any more product.
COLT: Production runs increasing weekly...bottle necked by Bolt carrier's.
LWRC:Making only black guns, running at full capacity...can't get enough gun quality steel to make barrels.
Springfield Armory: Only company who can meet demand but are running 30-45 days behind.

AMMO: Every caliber is now Allocated! We are looking at a nation-wide shortage of all calibers over the next 9 months. All plants are producing as much ammo as possible w/ of 1 BILLION rnds produced weekly. Most is military followed by L.E. and civilians are third in line. MAGPUL is behind 1 MILLION mags; do not expect any large quantities of magpul anytime soon. RELOADERS!!!! ALL Remington, Winchester, CCI & Federal primers are going to ammo FIRST. There are no extra's for reloading purposes....it could be 6-9 months b/f things get caught up.

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Sounds very beliveable, Only thing I might need would be primers

MtGun44
02-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Sounds right. I have friends in the ammo industry and similar info from them.

Never let the primer and powder stocks get low!

Bill

Beau Cassidy
02-01-2013, 11:00 PM
I can believe it. By the time 9 months comes around there will be fewer stores to supply due to smaller shops closing up because they can't get inventory. It is certainly going to consolidate the market some.

dragon813gt
02-01-2013, 11:27 PM
While I can believe it I would like to know the sources of the info. Especially the capacity numbers. If they aren't directly from the manufacturers it's just more speculation.

1bluehorse
02-01-2013, 11:40 PM
While I can believe it I would like to know the sources of the info. Especially the capacity numbers. If they aren't directly from the manufacturers it's just more speculation.

I received the same e-mail and I believe the info came from folks at the shot show...

Cherokee
02-02-2013, 12:40 AM
Same here as post #6

Huntducks
02-02-2013, 02:23 AM
After looking into it a little more, the info looks like it's from the SS.

I was at a reloading wholesaler today were i buy my supply's, and he thought he stocked up enought on primers bullets and brass to withstand a run like we had 4 years ago WRONG he is out of SP & SR primers
and all Win and Fed primers all 22-9mm-45 J bullets all cast in 9mm - 45 and most brass, and he is only open 3 days a week,he got a load of powder in yesterday all the pop stuff is gone, he is lucky he started his Bus. as a shotshell place and still has a large group of buyers and lots of stock.

captaint
02-02-2013, 12:47 PM
You guys made me go look. So I have 5M SP primers, 5M LP, and about 2M between the rifle primers. I should be OK for 6 months, anyway. We'll have to see after that. I suspect I'll be able to pick up some in the mean time. I hate this. Mike

mdi
02-02-2013, 01:26 PM
SS? Who/what is the SS?

DrCaveman
02-02-2013, 01:38 PM
I have only been reloading since the first Obama election. I thought there was a 'panic' around that time, but since I wasn't buying components yet, all I saw at that time was a 15-20% increase in ammo cost, and a bit of a shortage. Shortage went away quick, prices stayed the same.

So I began reloading. Then casting. All was good, bought an AK, got a bunch of hi cap mags which were a dime a dozen. Still didn't care for 223, just a personal thing I guess.

NOW, no stores in my area have any primers other than for shotshells. Reading the reports here, we are out 6-9 months?

Has it EVER been this bad before? Is there some infantry-based war on the horizon that I am not hearing about? Or is there an unparalleled increase in people who are trying hand loading?

In any case, I have supplies, but am sadly rethinking going out to practice with 300 rounds weekly. Gotta keep the coffers full 'just in case'. Seems like 'case' may have entered the building.

What do you older casters say: are these timetables just paranoia or are we really screwed for the next year?

40Super
02-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Most of these "shortages" are just caused by people worried about a shortage and buying huge amounts, which cause some stores to be out, then other people see that the stores are "out" and begin talking about the shortage online. All those that read about the apparent shortages then go out and buy huge amounts "just in case", which runs the rest of the store out. Get the picture????

Also quite a few are getting into reloading to save money and others are worried about new laws, which makes thing worse.

Hardcast416taylor
02-02-2013, 05:25 PM
I hold the old axiom to be true. "If you read it as an E-Mail on the internet, then it has to be the TRUTH"! I have 5 complete sets of chickens teeth for sale, any buyers?Robert

kir_kenix
02-02-2013, 06:13 PM
I can believe everything in the OP's post. Except for Sprinfield Armory keeping up. I've had an XDs on order since the begining of December, and the only one I've seen locally was at a gunshow today. Guy wanted $799 for it. Sprinfield also has had one of my XD's...and they have been "working on it" for about 6 weeks.

I don't think anybody, any manufacturer, or any importer can keep up right now. I know a dealer that told me today that Olin Coorp has said it will be 9-12 months before they fill their complete backorder. Future orders are only going to push this backorder ever further back.

I feel that when this bill dies in congress, things will cool off a little. People will cancel orders, the hoarders are going to need to pay their mortgages, and the gun companies will catch up. All in all, as bad as this sounds, this could end up being a really good thing for the industry if it can survive the next 12 months. In Nebraska CCW permits are up 200% according to the local news station...even non-gun people are out there buying and "stocking up."

Olevern
02-02-2013, 07:15 PM
I have only been reloading since the first Obama election. I thought there was a 'panic' around that time, but since I wasn't buying components yet, all I saw at that time was a 15-20% increase in ammo cost, and a bit of a shortage. Shortage went away quick, prices stayed the same.

So I began reloading. Then casting. All was good, bought an AK, got a bunch of hi cap mags which were a dime a dozen. Still didn't care for 223, just a personal thing I guess.

NOW, no stores in my area have any primers other than for shotshells. Reading the reports here, we are out 6-9 months?

Has it EVER been this bad before? Is there some infantry-based war on the horizon that I am not hearing about? Or is there an unparalleled increase in people who are trying hand loading?

In any case, I have supplies, but am sadly rethinking going out to practice with 300 rounds weekly. Gotta keep the coffers full 'just in case'. Seems like 'case' may have entered the building.

What do you older casters say: are these timetables just paranoia or are we really screwed for the next year?

If there is, it will probably be fought on the streets of America. Obummer is arming his own personal Army (He calls it "Homeland Security"), probably because he doesn't trust professional military to raid civilian's homes and do the dirty work he has in mind.

runfiverun
02-02-2013, 07:16 PM
S/S is shot show.

anybody thinking 6-9 months needs to think 6-9 months after they start seeing ammo shelves full.
they don't make primers just for sale.
they sell primers when they have extra from manufacture of munitions.
ammunition ='s higher profit margin.

iomskp
02-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Do any of the Chickens teeth have fillings.

DrCaveman
02-02-2013, 07:27 PM
S/S is shot show.

anybody thinking 6-9 months needs to think 6-9 months after they start seeing ammo shelves full.
they don't make primers just for sale.
they sell primers when they have extra from manufacture of munitions.
ammunition ='s higher profit margin.

Well that sucks. Hope you're wrong but I doubt it. Making me regret shooting up all those primers yesterday.

At some point, you gotta sit back and say: this is all I have left, no more practice shooting til I get more, right?

DrCaveman
02-02-2013, 07:30 PM
I hold the old axiom to be true. "If you read it as an E-Mail on the internet, then it has to be the TRUTH"! I have 5 complete sets of chickens teeth for sale, any buyers?Robert

You got a few thousands primers? I will buy them along with the chicken teeth, as long as it is a package deal. No primers anywhere I can find.