PDA

View Full Version : TC 1000+ lube recipe?

selmerfan
02-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Has anyone ever gotten close to a homemade lube recipe that is similar to TC 1000+ natural lube? I'm guessing it's mostly beeswax and olive oil, but at what ratio? Or, what's a great muzzleloader lube recipe?

**oneshot**
02-02-2013, 05:52 AM
50 50 beeswax and olive oil.

shredder
02-02-2013, 10:46 AM
If it is beeswax and olive oil it had me fooled. Sure smells like there is citus oil in there somewhere and it also melts far below beeswax temperatures. 1000+ will be completely liquid at body temperature. You never know, it just does not seem right to me.

selmerfan
02-02-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm looking for a BP lube that I can pan lube boolits before heading for the range, put them in a box and not have to worry about a lube mess at the range. Will Emmert's fill the bill?

357maximum
02-06-2013, 04:52 PM
My conical lube is mostly rendered deer tallow with a small amount of microwax #430 added to it for a little stiffness. It is the only lube I have found that does both accuracy and storage perfectly.....(IE no blooming/oxidization or drying in storage) I stay away from beeswax rich conical lubes for this very reason.......it will always bloom/oxidize no matter what you add to it.

Patch lube can be damn near anything that resembles a fat or oil....I normally use ballistoil straight out the container, but straight deer tallow works great too...and that is free for the work involved.

....as far as some of them "all naturalllllllll lubes" paraffin and other petro waxes can be found in the ground...naturally occurring as lumps...is that natural?

selmerfan
02-06-2013, 04:55 PM
I've thought about rendered deer tallow - I have good access to free beef tallow, so I'll probably use that. What would you use to stiffen it besides #430 microwax? Will beeswax do the trick? For storage I'm currently running an olive oil soaked patch down the bore. Just getting started - shot 8 times yesterday to sight in, well, three to sight in, 5 to blow up milk jugs at 60 yds with the peep sight and TC Cheap Shot sabot loads - haven't got the conicals/maxis running yet.

357maximum
02-06-2013, 09:52 PM
I can hear the flack coming my way now...zoof zooof zip zip zooom

....but if you have to stiffen up your beef tallow a bit.....add only as much canning paraffin that it takes to get it where you want it...should not take much. If gets "crumbly acting" after you stiffen it add a touch of vaseline. Take my word for it...paraffin will not harm your gun or make TAR when you pull the trigger. I have had all the lighter petro oils and waxes through my BP guns....vaseline/mineral oil/paraffin. I would not recommend axle grease, but the light petro's will do no harm, and some of them actually work much better that the natural stuff like beeswax.

Polish a steel plate and burn an equal amount of any ingredient you want to on it with a propane torch...and then inspect the residue.....or you can blindly follow wives tales from the keyboard commandos amongst us...your choice.

selmerfan
02-06-2013, 10:55 PM
So you're saying I won't have sticky patches of black goo left over after I shoot when I use anything containing a petroleum product? ;)

357maximum
02-07-2013, 01:11 AM
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING-----vaseline/mineral oil/microwax/paraffin have all been run through my BP guns at full tilt...cleaned up better than beeswax...and I shoot REAL BLACKPOWDER.

selmerfan
02-07-2013, 08:54 AM
I only have pyrodex select and 777 right now - no black powder in town. I may be able to find some in the Twin Cities next weekend, but I'm not sure where.

Maven
02-07-2013, 10:11 AM
.357max. is correct. Too much of a fuss is made about petro. products and BP shooting. That taboo doesn't appear to be based on controlled observation and measurement, but on repetition of someone else's [bad?] experience after using it. Btw, you may want to google "Stumpy's Moose Snot" or search this site for the recipe. It's easy to make and very effective.

357maximum
02-07-2013, 02:28 PM
I only have pyrodex select and 777 right now - no black powder in town. I may be able to find some in the Twin Cities next weekend, but I'm not sure where.

I might try the 777 but I have zero, none, notta use for pyrocrap....but that choice is up to you. I prefer the real deal and can clean my underhammers/sidelocks using real BP faster/better than my Dad can clean his sidelocks using 777. That "hard to clean, burns nasty thing is another bussword invented by a salesman...his name was Bruce Hodgdon methinks.

Most places that carry it do not advertise that they have it..??????????

I would contact your local muzzleloader shooters or reenactor groups. They may be able to point you to a local source. I can get both Wano and Goex somewhat locally. One place is a gunshop, the other is a hardware store...neither place has any signs that say they sell it. You have to know, or have to ask..................not sure why.???? Then again you can always make your own if you are the adventurous type....it is not that hard to make a good BP....If I can do it anyone can.

selmerfan
02-07-2013, 03:09 PM
I actually inquired about making my own BP - and I am the adventurous type. I casually asked our chief of police, a good friend of mine, about making BP. He doesn't think it's legal and that the BATFE would look at it as an improvised explosive device, but that was totally off the cuff on his part. I'm just getting started, literally, the 777 and pyrodex are the first two cans of BP sub that I've ever purchased. Clean up hasn't been bad with the pyro, I haven't shot the 777 yet. It doesn't provide the smoke that i envisioned, nor the smell, except when cleaning, which is like rotten eggs. The more I read, the more I am becoming convinced that actual BP, Goex or Swiss, is the way to go here, but I'll burn up the two cans of sub that I have first.