PDA

View Full Version : reloading for shotguns

1fast8
02-01-2013, 03:13 AM
i am not really redy to start casting at this time i load only pistol calibers is it cheaper to just catch shells on sale than to load them if you are bying the shot

Blackhawk Convertable
02-01-2013, 09:11 AM
I can reload shotgun shells for around $3.25 per box of 25

gnoahhh
02-01-2013, 11:05 AM
It all depends on the application. If all you're doing is shooting some informal stuff, the shells on sale at K-Mart are fine, and you can't do better by reloading. If on the other hand you shoot a lot, and especially if you want ammo tailored to your needs, then reloading becomes a viable option. Also, if you shoot a 28 gauge, or .410, then reloading becomes a very real means of saving money- $3-5/box versus $12-15/box for factory stuff.

TRG3
02-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Besides loading slugs for deer hunting with my 12 gauge H&R USH, I reload 3" .410 for rabbits in front of beagles to be used in my single-shot or double-barrel, both of which are not too fussy about the final reloaded shape of the shell. Since my .410 reloads sometimes are a little "bent", this is a good thing. My favorite .410 loads are #4 or #5 shot which can be difficult to find in factory loads, so re-loading solves this problem. A 25# bag of shot used for .410 reloads lasts a long time.

6pt-sika
02-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Bear in mind this is all based on 25+ years ago !

Back then I shot skeet and trap all the time maybe a 1,000 shells a week . Anyway a reload box of 410's cost me less then $2 and a box of factory was about $7.50 I think . I had four Ponsness Warren 800C loaders at a cost of $550 each 25+ years ago . I paid for the 4 loaders in one year based on the savings on reloads over factory . Over the following years the savings was noticed but at first you need to realize that a certain amount has to be shot before you can say you are saving !

As my scores got better I shot no handloads in actual matches , but shot reloads for practice , play , dove etc .

My loading now is more based on loading things that are relatively hard to get loads for that being damascus guns I want to keep pressures down on or short shells that are difficult to get locally .

Also for my present loading I am using all MEC600JR's two new and two used ! Have used 12 and 20's at a cost of about $30 each . My 10 and 16 were new and at a cost of about $165 each . I don't load the amount I used to so high volume expensive loaders and not a necessity anylonger and I can get by on the MEC single stage now .

Firebricker
02-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Speaking for 12ga only you can save a little loading target loads so you have to shoot a lot to make it worth starting up from scratch. However when you start pricing hunting or specialized loads you can save a lot so you just have to weigh out what you expect to be shooting. FB

1fast8
02-02-2013, 01:10 AM
thanks for all the info i dont shoot SG's as much as pistol and usually shoot the cheap 7 1/2 target 12ga so it probably be better to just keep watch in the sales adds

jimb16
02-04-2013, 10:54 PM
I reload .410s for around .06/ round. I make my own shot. $3/box vs $12......$9 per box savings. I use a MEC 600 Jr. I use a PW for the 12 ga. and a Mec 600 jr for the 20 ga. Since I shoot all 3 guages for skeet and shoot 2-3 times each week, reloading is the only way for me to afford that kind of shooting. My 20 ga MEC is over 40 years old and still runs like new. I've only needed to replace 1 part other than the wad fingers in all that time. You can't ask for greater dependability than that. Both the .410 MEC and the 12 ga. PW are used machines and both work well too. I've amortized the cost of all those machines many times over. In the past 30 years, I've purchased 12 boxes of factory shotgun ammo, and I've still got 8 of them!