PDA

View Full Version : Buckshot mold

Kydaddy
01-31-2013, 11:42 PM
Waning to buy a #1 buckshot mold. Suggestions?

Bullwolf
02-01-2013, 12:41 AM
This was my approach to making #1 Buckshot for 12 gauge, and some 30 caliber rifle plinking.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/shot_sizes.jpg

I simply purchased an inexpensive 2 cavity Lee round ball mould in .311 caliber.
http://westernfirearms.com.au/images/313892.jpg

The only downside to doing this is if want to cast a large quantity of Buckshot in a hurry. The dual cavity mold is a lot slower than using one of those monster 18 cavity 00 or 000 Lee Buckshot moulds, or even a Sharpshooter Buckshot mould.
http://www.titanreloading.com/image/data/D2g/00Buckshot.jpg

Fortunately for me, I got started casting as a youngster using a single cavity round ball mould, and I still find it relaxing to cast at a slow pace in my older age.

On the fun side of things, it also makes a nice gallery plinking load. Simply tumble lube a ball in Alox, or 45-45-10. Then run the .311 ball through the appropriate bullet sizer and load it behind a mild charge of pistol or shotgun powder.

I originally bought this mould because I couldn't get a 9 pellet 3x3 stack of 00 buck to fit into a 2¾ 12 gauge shell, unless I cut the petals off my shotgun wads. The #1 Buckshot however stacks nicely in a 3x3 column inside of a 12 gauge wad.

Before purchasing this mould, my only Buckshot fold crimp success involved either removing the petals from my 12 gauge wads, or using a 2x2 stack of 00 Buckshot for an 8 pellet load.

- Bullwolf

exdxgxe4life
04-29-2013, 08:00 PM
You wont regret getting a 1-2 cavity Lee. While a 6 cavity has it's obvious advantages, I just feel as if they are lower quality then their 1-2 cavity brethren.

cf5757
04-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Check out JT Knives here. I just purchased a 12 cavity 00 mold from him. Great mold. He is making some additional buckshot molds in additional sizes. (I think) check him out in the vendor section.

plainsman456
04-29-2013, 09:22 PM
If you get one that has multiple balls be sure to get it hotter that the fire of(you know where) or it will not fill right.

I got a mold from ebay years age i think it was a Buckshot mold.

gbrown
05-02-2013, 08:56 AM
I cast some OOOO and OO buck in a mold sent around the forum in a benefit auction a year or so back. They came out nice. Ordered a OO buck Lee from Natchez and they sent me an O buck mold. Started to send it back, but decided to keep it. Ordered an OO buck mold from JTKnives off the S&S. Waiting for it to come in. As plainsman456 says, get 'em hot and they cast good and quick. Good to have around. Lots of uses for them, plus non-casting reloaders are looking for buckshot all the time.

oldfart1956
05-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Kydaddy you might want to put a post down in the Wanted to Buy forum. It's kinda buried down in the Swapping&Selling forum. With that being said, and should you decide to go with a single cavity Lee I do have the following molds available. 90409 (2 of these) 90412 and 90416. These are all new molds. Not the new design (pins) but unused old style v-bar type molds. Diameters are as follows in order: .313/.330/.353 so you can check on the above posted chart to see if any might suit. Now I don't want to discourage you and possibly lose a sale but I should imagine casting such tiny balls (the sprue is gonna be bigger than the ball :) ) might test most mere mortals patience. Audie....the Oldfart..

45-70 Chevroner
05-08-2013, 09:48 PM
You wont regret getting a 1-2 cavity Lee. While a 6 cavity has it's obvious advantages, I just feel as if they are lower quality then their 1-2 cavity brethren.

I have 5 six cavity Lee molds and I can't tell any quality difference between them and my 2 lee cavity molds, if any thing I think the six cavity molds are better because of the handles. Not trying to start a fight but that is just MHO.