PDA

View Full Version : Pewter

Gliden07
01-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Bought some Pewter at a junk store for just under 4 bucks. I got 1 pound 15 ounces. Figured it was a pretty good deal. What should be the max I should pay for Pewter? And is there a good book out there for Alloying Lead or maybe a good web site?

imashooter2
01-31-2013, 09:42 PM
Modern pewter is better than 85% tin and tin is over $17 a pound if you buy new virgin ingots. How much the pewter is worth depends on how badly you want / need tin.

Your trifle over 2 bucks a pound seems pretty reasonable to me. :)

You don't need any special techniques to alloy in tin / pewter. Just put what you want in the pot with the lead and it will melt right in. Here's a good web site to start reading:

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

500MAG
01-31-2013, 09:52 PM
I pick up pewter at thrift stores and flea markets and average about $2 a pound. Be careful, a lot of what is labelled pewter is not. Stay away from Wilton pewter (RWP) because its not pewter.

wrench man
02-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Modern pewter is over $17 a pound if you buy new virgin ingots.

The shop across the street from my work is Pewter casting shop, I asked the owner what she would sell me pewter for, she said it cost $9 a pound, we have to go across the street with the fork lift and unload a pallet of it about once a week?, maybe you're not buying in big enough bulk??

I've been averaging about $3 for the thrift shop stuff, have several #'s of it on hand, figure since wheel weights are free I could spend a little on some tin to sweeten them up.

imashooter2
02-01-2013, 12:36 AM
The shop across the street from my work is Pewter casting shop, I asked the owner what she would sell me pewter for, she said it cost $9 a pound, we have to go across the street with the fork lift and unload a pallet of it about once a week?, maybe you're not buying in big enough bulk??

I've been averaging about $3 for the thrift shop stuff, have several #'s of it on hand, figure since wheel weights are free I could spend a little on some tin to sweeten them up.

Your "quote" is not what I said. I said:

Modern pewter is better than 85% tin and tin is over $17 a pound if you buy new virgin ingots.

Your associate quoted you a very good price. It's less than half of what RotoMetals lists for pewter. I doubt many of us have use to buy pallet quantities of tin or pewter though.

Von Dingo
02-02-2013, 03:50 PM
On average, I've been paying $4-5 lb going the thrift store route. Considering they are charity's I'm willing to go a little higher sometimes. Sometimes it averages out to be less. Still, it beats retail, and yesterday I found a NICE office chair that needed some shampoo for $15.00 too, needed that.

TheGrimReaper
02-02-2013, 04:02 PM
I'd bought it too! Seems like pewter nicknacks used to be everywhere. Not anymore!!!

RG1911
02-08-2013, 05:44 PM
I pick up pewter at thrift stores and flea markets and average about $2 a pound. Be careful, a lot of what is labelled pewter is not. Stay away from Wilton pewter (RWP) because its not pewter.

Yeah. I recently learned that. Fortunately, I hadn't dropped a lot of money.

Richard