PDA

View Full Version : modify Savage 340 to .25-35

atr
01-31-2013, 09:21 PM
a general question,
could a Savage model 340 in 30-30 be re-chambered to the .25-35 cartridge ?
thanks
atr

Bullshop
01-31-2013, 09:42 PM
You cant rechamber a 30 caliber to a 25 caliber. You have two options. To re-barrel to 25 caliber or to re-line the existing barrel to 25 caliber if you are to have the 25/35 on your 340 Savage.
Since the 340 uses a smaller but similer barrel lock nut system like the 110 and other models for larger cartridges it is a simple matter to re-barrel.

atr
01-31-2013, 10:26 PM
Bullshop
yes thats what I was thinking....re-barrel with .25 cal
I think I should be able to find a good barrel which will fit the action
thanks
atr

nekshot
02-01-2013, 11:15 AM
I have thought of doing this also in my cheap attempt to get a 25-35. I gave up using the sav 340 action because of the short window the action has to eject a loaded round. In other words I felt the longer heavy bullets in 25 cal would have to be seated real deep to eject easily if I chose not to shoot and wanted to unload. I cannot eject barnes 130's out of my 340 with out seating very deep in the case. But a cast roundnose might work. Just my bramblings! nekshot

Bullshop
02-01-2013, 11:38 AM
I believe the 340 has a real simple stamped steel extractor kinda like a Marlin. If so its really simple to partially extract a round then pop the extractor over the rim so the cartridge can be easily removed. I do that with a Marlin when I shoot long heavy PP boolits.
No problem at all really and I wouldnt let that be a deterrent for me.

nekshot
02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Bullshop, your thoughts are what I thought should work on mine but the tip of the bullet would not clear the reciever and there is no way any metal can be removed from the action with out jeapordizing the lock up of bolt. Trying to pull the loaded bullet straight back thru receiver with a loaded round does not work on mine unless bullet oal is same as proper length for normal extraction. I do acknowledge that my gun might not all be correct same as me! If you can find a way to make this work let me know and my 30-30 barrel is coming off in a hurry!

Bullshop
02-01-2013, 12:54 PM
What I ment was to partly extract the loaded round just far enough so the extractor is visable on the rim. The use something like a small screw driver or pocket knife to pop the extractoe over the rim thus releasing the round from the bolt. Then fully retract the bolt to the rear most position. At that point the ejection port is fully clear and the round can be easily removed with fingers by holding the rim and pulling it to the rear of the port then out and away from the port first pulling the rim away while continuing to withdraw the case rearward. Think in terms of loading a cartridge through a loading gate as in a lever action. The cartridge is much longer than the loading gate but goes through in an angling motion. Same thing but in reverse.

nekshot
02-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Ok, I am gonna retract all I said. I went out and measured a loaded round for my 340 and then took A hornady 117 sp and when inserted to cannelure it is about 1\4 inch too long, but that is a long neck and plenty of room to seat deeper worst situation file off the tip. So I throw my hat in the ring and say yes it will work. The only reason I won't do this to mine is the ogive falls back into the neck and that bugs me. Sorry for shooting off my thoughts with out measuring this from go. nekshot

pietro
02-01-2013, 06:40 PM
For the once in a while a loaded (overly-long) round needs to be removed from the rifle to make it safe, why not just withdraw/remove the bolt & cartridge from the rear of the action with the loaded cartridge held to the boltface by the extractor - just like the fella with single-shot benchrest rifles do ?

Or, would the ejector mess things up ?

runfiverun
02-01-2013, 07:19 PM
i pulled the ejector from mine,and used a bobby pin bent into a loop to just roll the case to the side.
it will eject an empty if i really put the ooomph to it.
otherwise it just rolls the cartride to the side with the bolt at full withdrawl.

nekshot
02-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Pietro, that was what I thought I could do, but something at the devise that kicks the cartridge out(if I remember correct) would not let go because the cartridge has to clear the reciever and if it won't clear that metal edge it is a real bugger to get out. I replaced one extractor and don't need to relearn this on mine. Because I can't seat boolits into the rifling and extract if not fired is why my guns accuracy suffers with cast. It makes up for it with jackets seated to proper oal for extraction.

uscra112
02-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Hmmm. I wish I'd thought of this. Might be a good use for the .25-35 High Wall barrel I've got laying about, and I'm beginning to warm up to the 340 after fondling this .222 that I've got. (I do love cheap rifles. Goes with my character. ) Gun show tomorrow - maybe I can find a donor rifle.