PDA

View Full Version : inconsistant powder drops

kkingsly
01-31-2013, 08:57 PM
i am new to reloading im using a lee pro 1000 set up for 9mm i have only made like 500 rounds so far but my total weights at the end are all over the place. i have pulled a couple bullets and found my powder was diff up to .5 of a grain any ideas ?

01-31-2013, 10:14 PM
I don't use a Pro 1000, nor load for 9 mm, but experience says your problem is at least three-fold:
1. Powder measures have an inherent +/- tolerance.
2. Powders can and do "bridge", some more than others.
3. Inconsistant movement of the press/powder measure handle will result in inconsistant results.

Add up those factors and it's not inconcievable that you can be off by .5 grain.

D Crockett
01-31-2013, 10:25 PM
many years ago when I started to reload I had this very same problem. my answer to this problem was to get a good electronical scale and weigh each and every load. I will probly get some flack over this but I can say my loads are consistant . not saying you should do this but it works for me so I have stuck to loading that way for years.

Kydaddy
01-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Agreed. I use an rcbs powder dispenser/scale. Best thing ever. Of course before I got it, I I'd very charge (pistol included) on my balance beam scale.

I knw it's overkill but makes me happy :)

C.F.Plinker
01-31-2013, 10:58 PM
What powder are you using?

gunoil
01-31-2013, 11:04 PM
#2 pencil on anything near or @ the powder. All those pieces. Up ,down, under, sideways, in, outside. Black or shiny.

kkingsly
01-31-2013, 11:49 PM
i am using accurate # 5 did the pencil trick but i think i made a rookie mistake my theory was that i would crank out some rounds and weigh them afterwards well turns out that my 124 grain cast bullets that i bought from a buddy dont all weigh the same sometimes up to 1.2 grains off that mixed with the problems listed equals im an idiot thanks for your help im a newbie only been reloading a short time i like to learn things the hard way

brassrat
02-01-2013, 01:14 AM
Well, learning things the hard way, is reloading rule #1. Enjoy the ride !

o6Patient
02-01-2013, 12:03 PM
.5 gr differential in a small case such as the 9mm would be unacceptable to me,
I would try a different powder, different measure.. or both. (Run a whole hopper full
of graphite through the measure and check again..??:Fire: