PDA

View Full Version : Plug top lube hole? Lyman sizing die

mparks
07-19-2007, 08:37 PM
In order to size my 280gr LBT WFNs down to .452, I need to push them down into the sizing die so far that I get lube into the crimp groove. I've been just sizing down far enough to lube(sizes to about .4525) and then backing off the lube pressure and giving the bullets another pass to get down to .452.

Is there a way I can plug the top hole of the sizing die? I've heard of this being down with shot but I don't understand quite how this would work.

Blammer
07-19-2007, 08:54 PM
I don't think you can do it with the top plug hole but could be wrong.

sounds like you'll have to size first then go back and lube.

garandsrus
07-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Mparks,

I don't know if it will work, but I would try putting a couple wraps of the metallic tape used for connecting duct work around the top hole.

John

Bass Ackward
07-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Call me weird, but I like lube in my crimp grooves on wide band, LBT designs especially. :grin:

mparks
07-19-2007, 10:53 PM
I just ran some through and let the lube into the crimp groove. Makes a little film of lube on the boolit after seating/crimping but I'll be ok as long as I don't drop them in the dirt. I'll probably wipe that off for the rounds that will sit in my pocket during hunting season.

Anything to save a step I guess.:-D

454PB
07-19-2007, 10:56 PM
I've had the same problem with two .45 designs. I have used the "two pass method" as you describe, also used a Lee sizer and two passes, then finally bought a Star sizer and the problem is gone. I don't know if using lead shot to plug the upper holes will work, it works on Star sizers, but they have a two diameter stepped lube hole. That larger outside diameter hole is where the shot gets trapped. On the Lyman/RCBS type, the lube hole is one diameter, and the shot may get pushed in far enough to touch the boolit.

Blammer
07-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Here is a thought! drill out the top lube holes to a tad bigger dia 1/2 way in and put a piece of shot!

Pat I.
07-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Using shot to block of a hole or two works fine with the Lyman dies with no fancy work. Just tap it in and anything left on the outside gets peened against the die.

beagle
07-19-2007, 11:51 PM
As has been suggested, use a nose first sizing rig. I use this method for a lot of downsizing ops.

Also, you may be able to drill and tap and use a ground down set screw in each of the holes.

The best method would be the nose first sizing on two passes./beagle

leftiye
07-20-2007, 12:37 AM
I know there's problems with dirt adhering to the lube, but that's a solveable problem (especially for us rocket scientists), and not a problem at the range when going from box to barrel.

A recent idea I've come across is that lube on the front driving band, and or beginning of ogive could be a big positive factor as the boolit contacts forcing cone or leade. Less leading there, easier sizing/ engraving, hence less boolit deformation. And later, less leading downstream.

sturf
07-20-2007, 04:23 PM
J B Weld works better