PDA

View Full Version : Calif. Pronghorn Antelope

buckndee
01-31-2013, 04:47 AM
This is my first attempt tp post pictures.

This is my California, Lassen County Period 1, Zone 4, Pronghorn Antelope. That was a mouth full. Took 24 years and 11 preference to draw the tag. I had 9 week to figure where to hunt and how to hunt. Hired an outfitter, spent 2 days locating, scouting, and patterning 24 bucks in a 100 square mile area. Found the best of the best and on the 4th day got an opportunity for a shot at the biggest Antelope Buck we could find. It was a very satisfying, memorable hunt.

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad159/buckndee/IMG_3115.jpg/buckndee/IMG_3120.jpg

horsesoldier
01-31-2013, 05:12 AM
The pics arent showing up but congrats anyways!

x101airborne
01-31-2013, 06:40 AM
Hey, cant wait to hear the juice of the story. The way I had to do my pics is...
Open them in Paint
Resize to 60%
Save to a file on your computer
Open cast boolits
Go to "manage downloads"
Select "upload files"
Select pics to be uploaded
Complete upload
Go to thread where you want pics
Click "Go advanced"
Upload your pics
and post.

At least that is the way I remember I did it.

skeettx
01-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Take the attachments and put a return after the first one
so they are stacked

Mike

Hardcast416taylor
01-31-2013, 03:33 PM
No Pics! Congrats anyway on the "Speed Goat".Robert

GLL
01-31-2013, 05:23 PM
I look forward to seeing your photos !

Jerry

buckndee
02-01-2013, 12:03 AM
I still can't add pictures, maybe because I have a Mac. I tried to work with the Imaging Hosting, Go Advance, and Insert Image icon. I give up for now.

gkainz
02-01-2013, 01:05 AM
I can post pics from a Mac ... So it's not that. I'll put some instructions together tomorrow for you. Are they in iPhoto on your Mac now or just .jpegs in a folder?

buckndee
02-01-2013, 03:00 AM
I have most of them in iPhoto and few in .jpegs in my Documents. If I could post photos I would contribute and share more often on CastBullits.

Rockchucker
02-01-2013, 10:33 AM
I have a mac and use photo bucket for posting pictures, quite simple really. Just download the program and follow the directions for sign up.

skeettx
02-01-2013, 11:25 AM
OK, take your jpeg pictures and put them on
www.photobucket.com
it is free
Then once in the album, click on the picture,
to the right of the pictures will be some codes
click on the link to the right of the IMG Code and it will
change to "Copied"
Paste it here
Submit
Good luck
Mike

9.3X62AL
02-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Buckndee--

A California pronghorn is quite an accomplishment, on a couple fronts. First, your persistence in dealing with the stilted and idiotic draw system in place here is commendable. Also, a skillful and difficult hunt is required to fill any such tag--it's not like Wyoming here, with abundant numbers of animals. You should be proud of this harvest, it is literally a one-in-a-million achievement.

gkainz
02-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Photobucket is the easiest way to share pics, also easy to resize, etc ... but you still have to get them from the Mac to photobucket. The problem is where iPhoto stores the actual photos, vs the thumbnails. It's changed a few times across the versions of iPhoto, so it may be version dependent.

On this test, I selected "Go To Advanced" (next to the "Reply" button) and then click on the "Insert Image" icon in the tool bar. It lets you select "From computer" or "from URL". From computer should load directly to here, while "from URL" would be used for photobucket (altho it's easier to just click on Share photo in photobucket and paste the link directly here" ...

anyway, click From Computer, basic uploader, Browse, pic a photo and click Upload

photo copyright BK Photography - my son's shot of Yellowstone from last summer

My photo shows here, and your post shows an ATTACH link as well, so I suspect perhaps your photos didn't upload due to size restrictions, maybe?

GLL
02-01-2013, 01:16 PM
I also have a Mac and normally use a photo service. The Forum system does work well with a Mac though.

1) Place your jpeg photo on the Mac desktop.

2) Reply to Thread.

3) "Go Advanced"

4) In "Attachments" open "Manage Attachments"

5) Check "add Files"

6) Open "Select Files"

7) Click on the photo on your Desktop.

8) "Upload Files"

9) Image will appear in Attachments" box

10) Check the little box under the image

11) Click "Insert Inline"

12) Image code is now in your Reply

This entire process takes about 10 seconds !

Jerry

buckndee
02-01-2013, 01:48 PM
6003360032Ok, here we go.

Calif. Pronghorn Antelope

This is my 4th attempt to post pictures.

This is my California, Lassen County Period 1, Zone 4, Pronghorn Antelope. That was a mouth full. Took 24 years and 11 preference to draw the tag. I had 9 week to figure where to hunt and how to hunt. Hired an outfitter, spent 2 days locating, scouting, and patterning 24 bucks in a 100 square mile area. Found the best of the best and on the 4th day got an opportunity for a shot at the biggest Antelope Buck we could find. It was a very satisfying, memorable hunt.

THANK YOU!! GLL, I have printed your instructions and saved them to computer so I can find it for future reference.

And for the rest of the story! After two days of scouting, opening day we set up before sun rise on a little bench on the edge Of the Madeline Plains in Lassen County Calif. An hour into the hunt the big boy shows up feeding slowly left to right across the plain at about 1400 yds. The plan was to flank around in front of the herd and ambush them. But then a very dark rain cloud came out of now where and drenched the area with heavy rain. The Antelope all bedded down and we got soaked as the wind kicked up. I was dresses in cotton desert camo as the predicted temp was 94 degrees. Well, I got hypothermic, uncontrollable shivering, told the guide I did not think I could take a shot if we got an opportunity. Wind and rain finally stopped, after a half hour I dried out and warmed up. So did the Antelope, they got up out of their beds and started feed in the direction of the only water source 5 miles away to our right.. The big Buck didn't fallow the herd, he feed straight away from our position and disappeared into the BLM foot hills miles away. We spent the rest of the 94 degree day searching for him to no avail. Saw 23 other bucks but nothing to get excited about.

Sunday morning we were back at our vantage point at first light. I spotted the Big buck as he got up out of his bed at about 1400 yds. He and 4 does were feeding to our right. A young Buck appeared, moving towards the doe's. This got the attention of the big guy who promptly chased the young buck off 200 yds. The Buck went back to the doe's, then started pawing the ground, prancing about, squat urinated, horned the wet earth, pawed again and just stood still staring into the distance. The young Buck had headed back towards the doe's position. The big guy canted his head and gave the other Buck the evil eye. The guide was looking through the spotting scope and me with my 10x binos. All of a sudden the big Buck charged the young Buck as they zig-zag 300 yds through the Sage Brush. Then they lit off in a straight line running FLAT OUT in a straight line across the Madeline Planes. The guide got excited, narrating what was happening, said we may get an opportunity for a shot. I put my binos down, shifted my shooting sticks towards a pre-determined shooting lane. The guide was getting very excited, said they were running right towards our position, OH MY GOD, they are going to over run our position, he stands up as they drop into a depression, they reappear 300 yds out. He starts bawling like a "Calf" trying to slow or stop them, then thinks what am I doing. He lets out a Coyote "Bark Howl" call just as both Bucks swing into view again at 200 yds running flat out. The Big Buck screeches to a halt in a cloud of dust, looks our way. BOOM, WOP, DROP.

WOW!! Did that just happen. The guide was jumping about with excitement and rambling, can you believe what just happened. It was only 60-90 seconds from the first interaction between the Bucks, the mile long chase, THE END.

We did not fallow up for 10 minutes. Reenacted the shot, took pictures, savored the moment, packed up our gear and then went to locate my Pronghorn. There was no ground shrinkage, he just got bigger and bigger. What a memorable hunt after waiting 24 years to draw a California Antelope tag.

Jal5
02-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Very nice and great Picture! That is one of my dream hunts for the future. Joe

horsesoldier
02-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Great buck!!! I like your camo as well!

Baja_Traveler
02-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Boy - that is a beautiful goat!

Congrats!!

GLL
02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Outstanding antelope and great photos !

Jerry

gkainz
02-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Very nice speed goat and a great story! Well done!

rush1886
02-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Nice goat Sir! Congratulations on the kill and your patience in waiting for the tag. Have you measured him? He looks like a qualifier from here!

MT Gianni
02-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Nice buck and a great story. Some may be put off of the flavor of speed goats but if taken care of and cooled down quickly I have had some good eaters. The meat needs moisture, and the blood stinks. If the cook is put off by the smell when the package is opened of thawed they may not eat it. I think it is at it's best served with a warm red center.

skeettx
02-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Totally AWESOME
Thanks for sharing
Mike

buckndee
02-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Thanks everyone for helping me gain the ability to post pictures. I have been able to post pictures on Rimfire Central but buy the photo Bucket route. GLL tutorial got me through finally. I will try the other suggestion again soon.

Yes he did score for the Boon & Crocket all time record book and has been accepted. Final score 82 2/8th. Horn only length 15 1/2 and 16 inches. But it was the overall mass out to the tips and the huge cutters that made the grade.

Got 47 lbs of boned meat out of him. I butcher, cut and wrap my own meat. It was a good hour before we got him dressed out, and 3 more before he got to the meat locker for finale cooling. Hung for 6-7 days before I cut and wrapped. The meat taste fine, especially if the wife enjoys it, she does not care for my Bear meat though. We are having Antelope burgers tonight. Medium rare of course, same as I do steaks.

Thanks again.

I plan to go out of state for my next antelope, can't wait 24 years again to draw a tag.

TXGunNut
02-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Nicely done! Thanks for sharing. Great pics. Methinks a trip to the taxidermist is in order.

buckndee
02-02-2013, 10:09 PM
OK, already back from the taxidermist and residing with the other critters in the man cave.

3006guns
02-02-2013, 11:30 PM
You were on the Madeline plains, less than 30 minutes from me and didn't stop by for coffee? If you'll notice, most of the remote homes out there have a pole with a Yagi antenna on it. Maintaining those radio telephones was my job for a number of years.

I was coming back to the highway (395) from a repair once and an antelope managed to get in front of my bucket truck. He couldn't get off the road because either side was fenced and antelope prefer to go under rather than over, like deer. Anyway, this old boy put the pedal to the metal and I began clocking him...25, 30, 35, 40 mph and he was pulling away from me! The road finally came to a T intersection and the other side had no fence, so he ran straight out into the sage brush for probably 200 yards, stopped and turned to look at me with his flanks heaving. I turned towards Ravendale and waved on my way by.

You got a nice one and as mentioned by another member it's no less than a miracle with the "draw-a-tag" system used in California. Congrats! :).

Greg
02-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Buck-

That is a beautiful Prong Horn !

Oh, and a story to retell / relive many times

taco650
02-07-2013, 09:09 PM
OK, already back from the taxidermist and residing with the other critters in the man cave.

very nice!!

Alvarez Kelly
02-09-2013, 01:10 AM
That is one of the nicest antelopes I have seen! Congratulations!!

02-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Very nice antelope and a great story. An antelope hunt is on my bucket list.

swheeler
02-13-2013, 02:04 AM
Congratulations on a nice buck! Well done

Brad Phillips
02-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Very nice buck and a real nice job on the taxidermy too!

roggom
02-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Nice buck, and the story got my adrenaline running. Must have been very exciting to finally draw a tag. The Taxidermist did a wonderful job on that mount as well.

pls1911
02-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Sweet story, HellofaGOAT!!
I've seen lots of New Mexico goats and yours ranks among the best of 'em.
Congratulations.
KKKalifornia???

warboar_21
03-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Nice Speed Goat.
I was stationed in Herlong, CA back in the 90's and always wanted to hunt them as they were pretty abundant on and around our base. Never could get a tag though.

dualsport
03-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Congratulations! Brings back some fond memories of a hunt 25 years ago on the Likely Tables. I got one but nothing like yours. Tasted great. I just kept the horns.

Kull
03-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Photobucket is the easiest way to share pics, also easy to resize, etc ...

Try http://imgur.com/ .