PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli & Chiappa

brad925
01-31-2013, 02:39 AM
I am looking at buying a 1874 Sharps in 45-70 made by either Pedersoli or Chiappa. Just wanting some opinions on each. Quality, fit and finish that sort of thing. Also rolling block or falling block. Pros and cons. Sorry to ask all of this but it is a fair bit of cash to part with so i want all the info from people that know something about them not just from the guy trying to make some money selling me one.

knifemaker
01-31-2013, 05:18 AM
I bought a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps about 12 years ago. You will never hear a complaint from me concerning anything on that rifle. Smooth action, great trigger and super accurate. Took two buffalo, American bison, with it. one shot kills because of the accuracy I put the bullet at the junction where the spine meets the skull at 45 yards and just over 100 yards. With several loads accuracy was under 1 inch for 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Had one group of 1.5 inch at 200 yards bench rested.
It is a very strong rifle, you can load it up to 29,000 PSI without voiding the factory warranty. The rifle was tested to 72,000 PSI before it sprung the breech block just .003.

Bad Ass Wallace
01-31-2013, 07:19 AM
Pedersolis are utter rubbish, what, you pay $1 for a target and they only use the little bit in the centre!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/ericsrifletarget1.jpg

After I bought the first, I bought another 4 just to prove they were all the same!:Fire:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Picture001-2.jpg

montana_charlie
01-31-2013, 01:21 PM
Chiappa makes the Armi Sport Sharps rifles.
They closely mimmick the various models in the Pedersoli line.
Some rifles are quite good while others are rather poor in one way or another.

They usually run a couple of hundred dollars less than the Pedersoli models they simulate.

If you are accustomed to looking at Sharps rifles, you can pick out the Armi Sport because the lever bow reaches down further than any others.

NSB
01-31-2013, 01:36 PM
I've had two Pedersoli 1874 Sharps rifles. They were absolutely flawless in quality and accuracy. As mentioned above, Armi Sports may be good and may not be. I've not seen a Pedersoli Sharps that wasn't good. It is head and shoulders above the rest of the Italian imports. Fit and finish are outstanding.

Don McDowell
01-31-2013, 02:07 PM
If those two were the only brands available, I'ld lean towards the Pedersoli. Altho in the recent past there's been some Pedersoli's with some serious qc issues. One is described in full detail here (look for the locked thread Iron Mike was the author), and more recently on another board a fella was given a new pedersoli rifle and it had some real serious issues.
Also one wants to be careful with the price comparisons with the exchange rate nowdays the CSharps and Shiloh rifles are not out of line in price with the imported versions.

hickstick_10
02-03-2013, 04:20 PM
In full agreement with Don Mcdowell

Get a base model shiloh or c sharps you can have them imported by Prophet River Firearms out of loydminister for a few hundred bucks more. With the Canadian dollar on par there is no better time to get a domestic rifle. Both companies have in stock rifles ready to ship.

You are going to break the odd part on an 1874 its just the nature of the beast, when you do the american guys will send you a new one no questions asked, with the italian models you are on your own.

A shiloh will take a ruger#1 load, according to the company owner.

Theres nothing wrong with the pedersolis, but what they cost nowadays do not justify the purchase to me anyways, you will get better value for your money with the domestic brands. Ive only seen one chiappa and its very aparent why it costs less then a pedersoli.

'74 sharps
02-03-2013, 06:41 PM
I have 2 Pedersoli '74's in 45-70 and have put many 1000's of rounds through them. I had 1 lever spring and 2 firing pins break in all of that shooting. Five minute repair and good to go. My favorite is the Long Range, 34" 1/2 round 1/2 octagon barrel with a cheekpiece, checkering,pistol grip, and a shotgun style butt. The old time curved butt can be kind of a thumper when shooting. This model has better wood and the blue is as good as I've seen on any firearm. Dixie Gun Works usually has them in stock.

oldracer
02-04-2013, 12:45 PM
I have an Armi Sport Sharps with 6x long scope for sale if interested? I also have an original 1871 Rolling Block action with a Badger barrel that was home made many years ago for sale. They are both about the same as accuracy.

oldracer
02-04-2013, 02:26 PM

NickSS
02-05-2013, 06:27 AM
I own three Pedersoli rifles and one army sport one. I also own a couple of Shilohs and several C Sharps rifles of various types. There is little to choose between my Shilohs and C Sharps rifles. They are all accurate and work flawlessly except for an occasional broken firing pin after thousands of shots. My Pederalies (one 74 45-70 Infantry rifle, One Cabelas' 45-70 74 hunting rifle and one Rowling Block in 30-30). Are all excellent rifles and quite accurate. They will shoot right along with my Shilohs and C Sharps rifles. I have used them for BPCM and hunting and like them.

The one Armi Sport rifle I have is an 1863 Berdan Percussion rifle I bought for the heck of it and it works fine. Fit and finish is good but not as good as any of my other rifles. In rank of finish I would rate them Shiloh, C Sharps, Pedersoli and Army Sport.

BCRider
02-06-2013, 06:12 PM
I hate to bad mouth any brand but I'd go for Pedersoli over Chiappa/Armi Sport any day of the week.

I personally bought an Armi Sport flinter. Both the design and execution of the lock were dismal. Three major faults, one of which led to it busting quickly.

A local gunsmith that does a lot of our Cowboy Action work for folks has begun to turn away working on the Chiappa lever guns depending on what the person wants. He says that they simply make too many compromises to make the big bore .45 style work with the smaller .357 caliber by not swapping out the innards for the proper stuff to suit the caliber.

It's a shame too because the outsides look amazing. Clearly their management believes in eye candy over function though. And that doesn't work for me.

bbqncigars
02-09-2013, 01:39 PM
If I was buying today, I'd buy American made. That said, my Armi 1874 Sharps Creedmoor is one damned fine gun. Accurate, great wood, and the fit and finish are spot on. I guess I got lucky.

Roundball
02-09-2013, 02:03 PM
My Pedersoli 1874 in 45-90 works very well and is nicely finished. It does not compare to fit and finish to my C. Sharps 1874. This is somewhat of an apples and oranges comparison since this C. Sharps is not a plain grade rifle. The point has been made that plainer American made Sharps are basically in the same price range as the fancier Pedersoli's would justify some shopping. My experience with Armisport muzzle loaders has been more than dismal. The Armisport in anything would be an absolute last choice only marginally better then throwing rocks.

John Boy
02-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Shiloh - C Sharps and Pedersoli have match quality bores in their barrels. Chiappa does not
Next it all comes down to fit to finish and the other items of excellence.

pls1911
02-09-2013, 06:45 PM
For all the reasons already stated, buy Pedersoli.
Three 74s and three Rolling blocks and all are FINE fit, finish, and shooters...

oldrodder
02-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Having NO experience with Sharps rifles of any make, I just puchased a 1874 Pedersoli "Quigley" model in Cal. 45-120
I find it stunning, flawless! The most beautiful piece in my safe. If it shoots half as good as it looks, I'm a happy camper!

Mike