PDA

View Full Version : Freechex III 2 day delivery

Forrest r
01-30-2013, 10:18 PM
It suprised the heck out of me when the 30cal freechexIII showed up in the mail today that I ordered on Monday. I called Charlie on Monday & told him what I wanted & he put his wife on the phone to get my cc info & my adress, ect.

I tinkered with it for a little while tonight & then decided to cut some strips to get ready to run a batch of them tomorrow or the next day.

skeet1
01-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Forrest r,
You are really going to like the freechex III. I have made several thousand checks with mine since I got mine and it works great. Lately I have started using "Frog Lube" for cleaning and lubricating mine and it seems to work very well.

Ken

altheating
01-31-2013, 12:06 AM
I received mine three or four days ago. Had a bit of a sticking problem at first. Problem solved with motor mica as a lube on the strips. I timed myself this afternoon, 30 minutes = 1268 complete checks without a single check sticking in the tube. So far I have cranked out 12,000 of them little buggers! Its paid for already and not even a week old.
I cut a 6"x6" piece of denim material folded it and poured the mica on the cloth, just pull the cut strips across the cloth and start punching.

JeffinNZ
01-31-2013, 04:54 AM
Two days? Charlie is slipping...... ;-)

DukeInFlorida
02-01-2013, 06:20 AM
Yeah, and he told me on the phone recently that he was VERY busy!

He did a custom mod on one of my FreeChex III tools in one day, and shipped it right out.

Forrest r
02-01-2013, 07:07 AM
I was supprised when I saw it in the mail on Wednesday. I called & talked to them on Monday @ 4:00 est & it was in my hand @ 2:00est on Wednesday.

Thank you for the tips on the different lubes. I had some old coil stock laying around & used the saddle soap to clean/lube it.

A friend of mine has one of these & we normally use a car wax or jp wax & just wax the sheet of flashing before we cut it itno strips.

tjones
02-03-2013, 12:57 AM
I was supprised when I saw it in the mail on Wednesday. I called & talked to them on Monday @ 4:00 est & it was in my hand @ 2:00est on Wednesday.

Thank you for the tips on the different lubes. I had some old coil stock laying around & used the saddle soap to clean/lube it.

A friend of mine has one of these & we normally use a car wax or jp wax & just wax the sheet of flashing before we cut it itno strips.

Our USPS really does a good job all things considered. -tj

ph4570
02-05-2013, 01:50 PM
I just ordered one for 224. Charlie had USPS shipment tracking number within minutes of my paypal transfer. Now I need some 0.008 material to be at the ready for the tool arrival.

Forrest r
02-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Nice!!!

The .008 material should be easier to find than the .014 material. I picked up some killer (soft) .008 material the other day for no other reason than it's extremely hard to come by the soft flashing material like that was. When you look to buy your check material test it by bending a corner of the material to see how hard it is to fold. It should fold easily with just a little resistance. The store I picked it up at had 10" x 10' rolls & 10" x 50' rolls of the flashing. The 10' rolls were a lot harder/stiffer than the material from the 50' rolls for some reason.

A 3/4" x 10" piece of the material that I bought, it folds and holds the folded shapes easily.

Shamus
02-07-2013, 02:25 AM
Litho plate works well with the FreeChex II in the light calibers. Not the easiest to find, but .008 litho can be found online or maybe at your local news paper. Your usual Home Depot roof flashing is really thin also and could work, it's around .009 or so.

fcvan
02-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Amerimax flashing is some pretty good stuff. I like to buy mine in 6"x50' rolls. There is a chart I looked up on their web site which shows the advertised thicknesses. The part numbers are:

66006, .0078, red labeled 'Versa'
68006, .0092, blue label 'Economy' (mine actually measured .0105)
68106. .014, yellow labeled 'Standard'

I can get the blue and yellow at Ace, but have to order the red from Lowes for parcel delivery for less than $20. Not too bad.

Sagebrush7
02-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Just a note. The FCIII are baked in an oven. So the carbon and cooking oil forms on the surface. I clean my checkmakers with heavy duty WD-40 and brass brushes when I get them. Sometimes even then it takes a little while to smooth them up. Take coarse emery paper and sand lightly round the cutter. It will hold lube better. I have about forty FCIII's now. My 30 caliber gave up after 250,000 plus checks. Split down the middle. Charlie said he would replace it! What a fellow!

Forrest r
02-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Good info Sagebrush7, I won't be making anywhere near that many gas check but it's always a good thing to be able to make the highest quality product possible.

fcvan, that's just it, Amerimax is junk. Take a look at the pic of the flashing I posted that was bent/folded. Try doing that with the Amerimax flashing & post a pic for us. I'd like to see you get the hard/brittle Amerimax flashing to hold/stay in place the soft curve like the left side of the flashing in the pic I posted. All the Amerimax flashing I've looked at for the last year was like a diving board, when I'd bend the very corner of the roll part way & let it let it go. It would spring back there's be a (dddooooyyyyyyyyyynnnnnnggggg), just like a diving board.

Sagebrush7
02-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Amerimax has 5% nickle in it. Very similiar to the same tensile strength C210 copper that is used in making Hornady checks. Soft Aluminum forms nice but can be shredded by the rifling of the gun. If you pick amerimax Aluminum about .004 thicker than the mathematical equation you will find it will not spring back as half hard brass and other such materials. Copper at $ 4.61 a pound I cannot compete with Hornady.

Jeff H
02-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Mine took three days but Charlie spent some extra time with me on the phone and making sure the Freechex III was going to make what my mould required. There's a .44 and a .22 being planned for now that I have dealt with Charlie and used his gas check maker. It does exactly what he said it would with the thicknesses he told me to use. Yonky set me up with material and was every bit as attentive to my mould's idiosynchracies.

That tool is a bargain.