PDA

View Full Version : Front sight i.d

lreed
01-30-2013, 08:00 PM
I buy bits and pieces of firearms, flea market-yard sale stuff when I find interesting articles. An item I can not identify appears to be a "lollypop" front sight with a base that fits a Mauser dovetail---Any ideas?? Thanks lreed

KCSO
01-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Probably a Mosin but hard to tell, could you hold it a little closer to the screen?

P.K.
01-31-2013, 05:20 PM
Probably a Mosin but hard to tell, could you hold it a little closer to the screen?

{{{{{Chuckle}}}}}

lreed
02-02-2013, 06:17 PM

Here ya go, gents....maybe you won't get nose grease on the screen by looking at a non-existing picture. Anybody know what this thing is? Thanks.
lreed

L Ross
02-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Mojo sight? They make/made after market aperture front and rear sights for mil/surp rifles.

Duke

Frank46
02-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Looks like someone modified a lyman or other brand of globe sight and if the insert shown is a staff with a ball on top it usually is referred to as a pinhead for obvious reasons. Lyman did make such an insert for their globe sights years ago but today mostly aperture type inserts. Frank

lreed
02-03-2013, 07:20 PM
No, it doesn't appear to be a rework of anything else, no stamp,no threads,just a smooth tunnel. I first reckoned it could be something Swedish as I thought they did target work with their bolt rifles. It is slightly taller than a regular Mauser blade, probably work real on a boolit rifle. Thanks for the response. lreed

jonk
02-04-2013, 11:32 AM
That is absolutely, definitely, 100% a Mojo front peep sight. There should be a rear peep with micrometer installed as well, otherwise someone sold the gun but didn't feel like putting the stock front sight back on.

See www.mojosights.com

They're nice.

lreed
02-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks-jonk and L Ross. It is as you say,was the rear sight also an aperture? I very much like globe fronts and receiver rears, use them on several rifles.
One can sometimes find interesting items for sale,junk to most people,but not me! Thanks lreed

jonk
02-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Yes, also a aperture rear; maybe if you call them and tell them what you have they can sell you just the rear, not the front as well?

KCSO
02-06-2013, 04:48 PM
They are not a bad target sight IF you have a good peep on the rear and can get use to them. I was weaned on a post front and could never train into the front apreture sight.