PDA

View Full Version : M-die question?

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
01-30-2013, 04:29 PM
If I want an M die to expand 9mm cases so that the case will accept a .358 boolit without swaging it down, which m-die should I get? Should I get the M-die for 38 spl, 38 super, or 9mm? I fear that the 9mm M-die will still not give satisfactory expansion. Would the die for 38 spl even work on such a short case?

Thanks for the advice.

BK7saum
01-30-2013, 04:32 PM
I think I would go with the 38 spcl m die. Any of the pistol caliber dies should go down far enough to expand the 9mm case.

joe i
01-30-2013, 05:37 PM
At first, I used the Lyman Multi-Expand Powder-Through die with the .38 Spl insert, but later found the regular 9mm insert would do fine -- I was loading Penn Bullets' 124 gr RN at .358 with no swaging. Pulled boolits still measured .358.

One thing to keep in mind with the .38 Spl insert is that it's possible to run the die in far enough to expand and bulge the 9mm case wall where it gets thicker at the midpoint. If you bulge it enough, it won't chamber, or worse yet, it will chamber but will be nigh impossible to manually extract an unfired cartridge (unless you force the slide open on a wooden bench). Yes, I speak from experience. Definitely drop-test your ammo in your pistol's barrel if you go this route. I found Remington cases to be the worst for this, YMMV.

The Lyman Multi-Expand set at least allows you the choice of changing inserts, and can be useful for other calibers as well. I first heard of it on this forum, and after using it, I highly recommend it.

-Joe

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
01-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Thanks Joe, is that similar to the Universal expanding die that Lee sells?

joe i
01-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Hey N.S.,

Hopefully, someone else can answer that question because I have no experience with the Lee die. I bought the Lyman Multi-Expand because I wanted a powder-through expander when I was first getting into reloading -- with a Lyman 55 measure on top, it sped up the process as much as possible with a single-stage press, and the different inserts allowed for use with most pistol calibers. (I was using Dillon die sets, which don't come with an expanding die.) I think I bought the Multi-Expand through Midway.

Ah, the good ole days of averaging 50 loaded cartridges an hour on a Rock Chucker...they make me appreciate my Dillon 650, Oh So Much.

-Joe

gsdelong
01-31-2013, 04:15 PM
The lee die is hard for me to have repeatable results with because it is a cone shape it varies slightly every time you change it on the press. You can do what I did and by the M Die and order the different size "plugs" from lyman for a few bucks a piece.

Greg

Greg

fouronesix
01-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Yep, the Lee "Universal" expander is a simple mouth belling only thing with adjustment at the mercy of case length. The M die is completely different and actually expands the entire neck and puts a very subtle flare in the mouth on the .1" final step of the expander and is forgiving of about .1" variance in case length. Comparing the two is like comparing like apples to oranges.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
The lee die is hard for me to have repeatable results with because it is a cone shape it varies slightly every time you change it on the press. You can do what I did and by the M Die and order the different size "plugs" from lyman for a few bucks a piece.

Greg

Greg

So which M die do you suggest I get, or should I just get one (say 9mm) and get the other 2 inserts (38 spl and 38 super)?

gsdelong
01-31-2013, 08:57 PM
I do not think it matters as the Die body would be the same. And there is only two different plugs as Lyman shows the same part number for 38 Super and 9mm. So you could by 9mm and 38/357 Plug or the other way around.

luky-dude
01-31-2013, 10:00 PM
So will these M-dies work in a Dillon 650 with the Dillon powder measure? I need them for 9mm and 45acp

01-31-2013, 10:00 PM
If you already have the die body, forum member Buckshot will make a plug that will have both diameters spot on to your exact dimensions. Quality work and reasonably priced.

Wal'
02-01-2013, 06:14 AM
I am using the Lyman 38P M die which allows the plug to fully size the 9mm case for a .358 boolit with great success.

The .358 fit nicely without any sizing down when taper crimped, the Lyman 9mm M1 38AP is a smaller size, more suited to .356/357 boolits

luky-dude
02-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks 462 But how can I contact Buckshot???

02-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks 462 But how can I contact Buckshot???

Do you know how to send a member a private message (PM)? If not, click on the "Private Messages" link, located on the tool bar, at the top of each sub-forum.