PDA

View Full Version : Smelting with a hot plate?

Tom_in_AZ
01-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Will a hot plate be hot enough to smelt with or do I need a gas burning device of some sort?

Thanks,
Tom

wch
01-30-2013, 12:48 PM
The melting point of pure lead is 621 degrees F.

rmb721
01-30-2013, 12:59 PM
IMO, gas will be a lot faster.

mold maker
01-30-2013, 01:29 PM
From your question it sounds as if your just starting out and, the following is meant only to help you safely join our ranks.
It (smelting with a hot plate) is possible, but the hot plate is much better for preheating molds and ingots. A gas burner like a fish/turkey fryer will be a better choice for smelting. Just make sure it is strong enough to safely hold a couple hundred pounds, as in step up on it, to make sure the welds hold before you fire it up.
The pot you use is another issue. No aluminum or cheap iron/steel pot. The aluminum can slump at our temps and the cheap pots have handles that wont support the weights involved. Cast iron is what most prefer, SS pots can be used if heavy enough material and handle fasteners were used. Don't move or pour from a pot. Always dip or ladle the pot nearly empty and let it cool, still on the burner.

shadowcaster
01-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Mold maker took the words right out of my mouth.. +1. Also, for ingot molds,I have found that steel or cast iron ingot molds have performed the best for me. Use several and rotate them. My cast iron wedge pans cost me 9 dollars each at target.

Shad

Tom_in_AZ
01-31-2013, 12:18 AM
Thanks, sounds like I need a turkey fryer type set up.