PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about staring reloading/casting for shotguns

nemesisenforcer
01-30-2013, 01:52 AM
anything I need to know beforehand?

Was planning on getting the Lee molds for #4 buck and maybe the 7/8 ounce slug to start off.

I got a 12 ga and the wife has a 20 ga.

Probably going to invest in the Lee Loadall with the conversion kit.

What hulls and wads work best?

pipehand
01-30-2013, 09:26 AM
For around 45 dollars, the Load-All is a great deal. Might be economical and convenient to just get one in each gauge. I favor the Remington STS/Gunclub/Game load hulls as they are one piece and closer to the old AA hulls I first started loading 30 years ago.

The Hodgdon manual is available on line, as is the Alliant. The Hodgdon is a bit more comprehensive. Look through it and see what powder gets you the most versatility for both gauges. I've never loaded 20 Gauge, but I think it needs a slightly slower powder? than 12. Unique/Universal may not be ideal for every application in those two gauges, but I bet it will cover most of what needs done. Most of the slug data given is for very high velocity(1500fps+) to recreate factory loads. A lot of us prefer to not get beaten up that badly, and use Trap load level powder and charges. Search this site for "Lee Slugs". There's a lot of info. Standard caveats apply.

sargenv
01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
The Load all is a nice little starter, but my first press was actually a Mec Sizemaster.. the Collet sizing system is far superior to the ring sizer that the Lee uses. It's a bit more spendy, but with an adjustable charge/shot bar, you can load anything without having remove powder or shot or turn the lee upside down to replace bushings. That was one thing that always irked me about the Lee in that it was inconvenient to empty the shot or powder or change a bushing without a major hassle. The MEC comes with a primer feeder in every gauge save .410. I still own my first Sizemaster from the mid 80's.

bullet maker 57
01-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Hello, I have 3 Lyman shot shell reloaders. Two of which are 12 guage and one for parts. I also have a complete conversion kit for 20 guage. PM me if you are interested.

Price is reasonable plus shipping.

Thanks

Pete

Peterloo
02-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Hi.

I too am a shottie reloading noob with a Loadall.

A couple of pointers from experience:

It's easy to run out to the local supplies store and buy a random assortment of powder, wads, primers and hulls - I did and its a waste of good money. Think about what you are going to want to load and read up on the loading data for those loads. THEN go and buy your supplies.

Invest in a good set of scales. I see a lot of reloading-specific scales but they are over-priced to my mind. I bought a set of jewellers scales and a calibrating weight for about £20.

Never trust the Lee Loadall powder bushings. Always weigh at least 6 throws. You will find that the throws produced by the bushing will only rarely be accurate.

Same goes for your shot throws.

Don't run out and buy all the latest kit. Its tempting to buy a nice melting pot and all the accessories at >£100. I bought a heavy-based saucepan for £5, a flat camping gas stove plus 12 gas refills for £15 and two (large & small) ladels for £2.50. Of course the cheaper set up and rampant children is a no no!

Ventilate!

A good set of thick gloves is a must (I have the scars!) an apron is optional (depends if you don't mind burn hols in your favourite trousers).

Remeber the 6 crimp is at the back - took me a good number of crappy crimps to realise this!

You will find that once you get into the rythm reloading is quite cathartic. My reloading station is in my small but homely shed and I can sit down there with the radio on happily casting and loading for hours. Though this may be more age-related.

Enjoy!

koehlerrk
02-21-2013, 04:35 PM
As much as I like Lee equipment, check out Shapshooters buckshot mold. Just got the mail and a 00 / #4 combo mold was waiting for me today.

May not be as fast as the Lee, but dayum is this thing built like a brick! Very well built, I'm looking forward to melting some of my "mystery metal" alloy and casting buckshot from it.