PDA

View Full Version : Would like to get into swaging .224 bullets but I'm new and don't know where to start

MikeD7
01-30-2013, 12:00 AM
As the title states, I would like to get into swaging .224 since they are next to impossible to find. I am starting from scratch so I need the whole deal including a single stage press. I would like to get into this without breaking the bank. I want to know which press would swage the best. It will never be used to reload ammo, just swage. I also saw BTSniper's kit. Is his the best? What is the cheapest? Thanks in advance!

Utah Shooter
01-30-2013, 12:31 AM
His is a really good setup. The best and the cheapest are a debatable topic.

How long would you like to wait to get some? If 3-6 months is a good wait time for you the possibilities are wide (4-6 makers). I myself use Blackmon press and dies. They ran me about 650 for the whole thing minus the de rim die that I already had. I did have to wait about 2 or 3 months to get them though.

Reload3006
01-30-2013, 08:26 AM
+1 with Utah Dr. Blackmon is the least expensive route into swaging and he builds high quality gear. He has the least expensive swaging press or he offers a Rockchucker Or reloading press conversion kit. for a little less. The only down side to Dr. Blackmon gear is his dies are Like Corbins M class dies and dont hold up well in calibers over .357 CH4D is by far the least expensive route but he doesn't make anything under 30 caliber and you were talking .224. I also have noticed that Hawk Dies find him on Ebay and email him makes .224 now could be worth checking into. (I cannot vouch for his quality or credibility I have not used any of his products or know of anyone who has) He did have several dies at a reasonable price and a conversion for a RockChucker press BT has a good reputation I personally opted for RCE equipment I can honestly say I am not the least bit sorry. I have Blackmon and RCE the RCE is much more heavy duty and for me worth the money.

The really down side to swaging is you are going to break the bank no matter whose equipment you buy. Unless you are like Duke and make bullets to shoot from a machine gun you will probably never recoup your investment in terms of savings on bullets. But in times like these you will have bullets to load when no one else does. What is that worth to you? It is the very reason I got into swaging. Now I not only have bullets to load I have better bullets than I can buy. To me that is worth more than any savings I can achieve over any of the major bullet mfrs.

Lizard333
01-30-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm one of the people that think using a reloading press is nuts to use for swaging. Not to say it can't be down, but its like using a ford ranger with a four banger to pull a ten thousand pound trailer. Sure it'll do it, but its not happy, and for how long. Read into this long enough you'll see most guys that are using reloading presses to swage have either broken them, or modified them to be better suited. Me, I prefer to buy stuff once, and be done with it.

That said, I bought RCE's Walnut Hill press. At the time, BT wasn't making swaging setups for 224. I bought RCE's dies as well. All said, I now have a complete setup for 224, minus the next ogive I'm ordering now. I can do lead tip, HP, rebated boat tails, trim jackets, and turn 22LR brass into jackets as well. I'm into it for about 1800$ for the whole setup including a rock solid swaging press.

Will I ever recoup my cost. Nope. Am I worried right night that buying 224 bullets is next to impossible. Nope. Can I make better bullets than factory. Yep.

These are my reasons. Your mileage may vary.