PDA

View Full Version : No more stuck cases!!!!

500MAG
01-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Last week I decided I was going to decap & size 3 thousand 223 cases. I worked on the first 1000 over 3 nights after work. I was wrenching my arm off and getting a stuck case about every 200. Normally, I put the cases in loading trays and spray each side with Lyman case lube. Today, I started and the first 3 cases in a row stuck. After cussin up a storm I looked around my garage and found a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil. I took a wash cloth and put a little bit in the cloth. I did a quick wipe on each case as I loaded them in the loading trays. I started running them and I went thru the remaining 2000 cases faster than a knife fight in a phone booth. I thought they weren't sizing and had to drop them in my case gauge to believe it. It was fantastic. I'm happier than a midget at a tall girls miniskirt convention.

429421Cowboy
01-29-2013, 09:05 PM
MMO should be in the list of 101 things mankind couldn't live without. I love that stuff! Never thought of using it for case lube before, but the pleasant aroma would be a bonus lol.

500MAG
01-29-2013, 09:07 PM
The only reason I have a bottle is because when I was a kid my grandfather told me I should always have one on hand. Boy was he right.

RGMJ
01-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Where can you buy this amazing oil? I have just about given up on Hornady One-shot and RCBS case lube for my mil spec 5.45 cases.

bryonbush
01-29-2013, 09:53 PM
is it just me or using the ol lyman case lube pad the cats meow? line brass up, roll on the pad and size, its easy. heck i get two rows of brass on my pad and then roll them with my hand and im good to go for about 20 cases.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/274234/lyman-case-lube-pad

500MAG
01-29-2013, 10:03 PM
is it just me or using the ol lyman case lube pad the cats meow? line brass up, roll on the pad and size, its easy. heck i get two rows of brass on my pad and then roll them with my hand and im good to go for about 20 cases.

Have a Lyman case lube pad, well had one, I threw it in the garbage today. Didn't do squat for 223. No lie, I went thru 2000 cases in a flash without one nearly stuck case.
RGMJ, you can get MMO at pretty much any hardware, auto store or good old Walmart.

Jailer
01-29-2013, 10:20 PM
Liquid lanolin/anhydrous isopropyl alcohol mixture in a spray bottle. Put a couple hundred in a gallon ziplock bag give about 3 or 4 squirts and knead em around a bit to cover completely. Open bag and let alcohol out and start sizing.

I've sized over 5 or 6 thousand this way and haven't used a third of a 16oz bottle yet and not one stuck case.

Gee_Wizz01
01-29-2013, 11:21 PM
I have used MMO, but I think lanolin/alcohol in sprayer is the easiest and best. I also dump a bunch of cases in a Ziplock and give the bag 3 or 4 squirts and roll the cases around in the bag. Dump out on cookie sheet and resize. If you don't like mixing your own, you can buy Dillons spray lube as its the same stuff.

G

joesig
01-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Liquid lanolin/anhydrous isopropyl alcohol mixture in a spray bottle. Put a couple hundred in a gallon ziplock bag give about 3 or 4 squirts and knead em around a bit to cover completely. Open bag and let alcohol out and start sizing.

I've sized over 5 or 6 thousand this way and haven't used a third of a 16oz bottle yet and not one stuck case.

I spray the cases in a plastic tray, roll, and let evaporate. With as easy as this method, I would never go back to a pad.

o6Patient
01-30-2013, 10:23 AM

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/274234/lyman-case-lube-pad

That's what I've always used without more than 2 stuck cases in 30 years and they were just
operator error...however I don't load by the thousands either.
However never using it for case lube..and not planning to -I will vote +1 for the utility of mystery oil,
love the stuff.

41 mag fan
01-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Lanolin/alcohol.....best thing I ever found, plus it's faster than the roll pad, less messy too.

Baja_Traveler
01-30-2013, 11:22 AM
So whats the Lanolin/alcohol ratio? I'd like to try it...

Moonie
01-30-2013, 03:33 PM
You can use anywhere from 5-1 to 7-1(Alcohol-lanolin) or even less if you are feeling lucky.

Use at least 91% alcohol, anything less won't mix well.

rda72927
01-30-2013, 09:30 PM
WW Grainger has or can get in 1 day, 99 % alcohol. Works MUCH better than 91 or 95%.

mongoosesnipe
01-30-2013, 09:42 PM
I use Dillion spray lube which I am pretty sure is a lanolin alcohol lube and I have not had a single case stuck case though I find it nessisary to tumble after sizing to clean the lube off

Gee_Wizz01
01-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Nearly all of the hardware stores carry denatured alcohol and it's a lot cheaper.

cylinderman
01-30-2013, 11:07 PM
Another one here for the lanolin/alcohol case lube but always have MMO on hand for whatever it may be8-)

imashooter2
01-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Either Imperial Sizing Wax or just anhydrous lanolin. Touch your fingers to it and rub them together for a second, then pick up the case and roll it in your fingers on the way to the press. Works like a charm.

brassrat
01-30-2013, 11:19 PM
The red bottle Heet seems to be the best, in price and is high % in Iso. Got to find the bargain rate thou (WM). The metal can, denatured alchohol is a bit more

7of7
01-31-2013, 12:36 AM
I'm happier than a midget at a tall girls miniskirt convention.

That's funny.....

I use Hornady One Shot, the pump spray bottle. Haven't had any issues with stuck cases.. (yet)
Marvel Mystery Oil,... most auto parts stores has it.. works great as an oil treatment (recommend running it just prior to the oil change) It will clean the engine.. I have seen where it has fixed a sticky valve in an aircraft engine... It is just some fine oil..

LeadBrain
01-31-2013, 01:10 AM
It can be used as a fuel treatment as well. Cleans/ lubes injection system, intake valves, and top of the pistons. Air tool oil also. MMO is great stuff.
I like imperial sizing wax for my hard to size cases. All though next time I am in a pinch, i may give MMO a try.

Lloyd Smale
01-31-2013, 06:59 AM
i use lanolin too but do it a bit differnt. For most rifle loading i just like others put a bit on my finger and give the case a rub before sizing. If im going to do a bunch of 223 or 308 i have a differnt way. I put a bit in the microwave just to soften it and then put a dab in the palm of one hand then work my two hands together to spread it to the palms of both hands. I take a shoe box and fill it about half full of cases then just work my hands around in them for a little bit to distribute the lube. Never had a stuck case doing it that way.