PDA

View Full Version : Clays Vs Clays Uni Vs Unique?

wonderwolf
07-18-2007, 08:19 PM
I currently burn unique in all my handguns. In my 1911 and my 625 45 ACP I use a load of 5.5 unique with a 230 Gr cast bullet. Its nice in the 625 and it functions in the 1911 (accurate as well). I burn 10 gr of unique in my .44 mags with Keith 250's as my standard load. I have been looking around to try some other powders since I have not experimented much with others and clays, Clays Universal caught my eye. I got a pound of the Clays today on the way home to try but all the load data I found is for Clays Universal?. Is clays just for lighter bullets? it lists a load of 45acp on the bottle using a 155Gr cast bullet but I've never seen such a beast nor would think it would cycle a 1911 unless you put light springs in it.

I could stay with unique but bullseye has also been on my mind for a while. My dad used to load 38spl loads using 158's and 3. something grains of bullseye and it was a nice target load. I'm just kinda seeing what else is out there before I buy a large amount of a certain type. to keep me going for a while.

GP100man
07-18-2007, 09:24 PM
wonderwolf
go to hodgdons site& build your cartridge. itll give you low hi & pressures.
its kool in a way but some of the info has been ommited, like imr 800x in 357mag.

:cbpour:
GP100man

trickyasafox
07-19-2007, 02:15 AM
i left bullseye for unique, and like you, i use 1 powder for as many different applications as possible. bullseye wasn't bad, i just wanted something higher volume.

Lloyd Smale
07-19-2007, 06:20 AM
clays is a much faster burning powder then universal clays and should NEVER be used with univeral clays loading data. Universal clays is a decent powder that burns at a very simular rate to unique. Its cleaner burning but has never given me the overall accuracy that unique has. Ive found some loads that shot well with it but never better then unique did and usually not as well. I use alot of power pistol anymore although it too will never replace unique on the bench it seems to do better for me the universal clays does. Another often overlooked powder for about the same applications is good old herco. Some of the most accurate midrange handgun loads ive found use herco.

wiljen
07-20-2007, 07:13 AM
The new Alliant 20/28 may be a good bet too. I bought a lbs of it and am just beginning my testing. Alliant's data puts it between Unique and Herco in burn rate so it should make a great pistol and cast bullet powder but its too soon to tell. I also picked up a can of Alliant 410 that is between 2400 and RL-7 (per Alliant) that I am hoping will be the ticket in the 357 Max.

August
07-20-2007, 09:53 AM
I have used Unique for many years and finally gave up on it because it is so dirty. I have used Clays for the past two years, firing thousands of rounds in SASS competition. I have recently given up on Clays because of its tendency to ignite irratically due to position in the case. I never had a squib, but sometimes got wild ignitions variation. I have recently changed over to Titegroup and so far like it a lot. It is not position sensitive and is clean. I have fired about a thousand rounds so far and it has been extremely accurate and consistent.

So, if you're on a quest, try some titegroup. It's economical too.

targetshootr
07-20-2007, 05:21 PM
A couple of years ago I bought Clays by mistake thinking it was Universal but it didn't take long to notice it works fine for plinking loads.

rbstern
07-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Clays is my primary 38 special plinking powder.

I've found that for low powered loads, it is position sensitive, particularly with light bullets. It works much more consistently at closer to max loads. I shoot the Lee 358-105 SWC over 4.0 grains. This load is not position sensitive, and still very accurate. I used to load it at 3.0, and then later, 3.5 grains, but found that I would sometimes get inconsistent recoil and report based on the tilting of the gun. 4 grains solved that issue. Also find that less barrel leading at 4 grains, and suspect the bullet is doing a better job of sealing the bore at the higher pressure.

The bulky, flakey powder doesn't seem to ignite as consistently at lower pressures as the finer grained powders. I've had Red Dot behave the same way in low powered pistol loads, and it is very much like Clays in terms of corseness.

The really nice thing about Clays, aside from tremendous economy, is that it is relatively clean. It all burns, and doesn't leave a lot of residue.