PDA

View Full Version : mossberg 12 ga

kd5exp
01-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Can anybody tell me if a Mossberg 500 barrel will fit the Maverick 88 12 ga. I am trying to find a rifled barrel for mine.

sparky45
01-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Yuuuuuup! At least it did on mine.

35remington
01-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Yes it will. I have both Mossbergs and a Maverick. Completely interchangeable unless your Maverick or Mossberg has the 7 shot magazine tube. These have more limited barrel changing options.

kd5exp
01-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Thats good to know. Now some shopping.:-D

John in WI
01-31-2013, 07:14 AM
I triple that--I have a Mossberg 500 and Maverick. It works out nice--2 shotguns and 4 barrels interchangeable between them.

kd5exp
01-31-2013, 10:20 AM
I found one, $135 delivered. From what i have seen that's not too bad. Ok now , I have question, how do you load for these. I have read load them just like bird shot and some talking about loading them without a wad. Is there 2 kinds of slugs for this setup or 2 kinds of rifled barrels?

35remington
01-31-2013, 07:32 PM
It's easier to answer when you state the question plainly. As you've got it now it's rather vague. What, exactly, do you want to load? It is not clear.

kd5exp
01-31-2013, 10:16 PM
I am shooting a Mossberg Maverick 88 smooth bore but have a rifled barrel on the way. I just got the Lyman 525 gr Sabot S/C Mould in and want to load for that. I also have the Lee key 1 oz slug. I have seen were they say the rifling tears up the wad and not to use it. Then to use the WAA12 wad. Then where you load it just like shot. I have been reading what I can find and watching some you tube where they are shooting them. I don't see where you can not have a wad without having a larger diameter slug. sorry to be so ignorant but I want to learn about this and not have any KABOOM's.

35remington
02-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Both slugs need to be used in a wad because they are not large enough in diameter to engage the rifling in a rifled barrel. The wad engages the rifling and the slug spins with it.

You don't have much choice in the matter. All data for both slugs uses a wad.

kd5exp
02-04-2013, 10:19 PM
OK, that's what I was thinking but I read somewhere not to use them. It did not make sense unless you had a bigger slug which I have not seen anywhere. I have the WAA12 wads and a lot of used shells and a few once fired.
I need to order some new shells for these. I read yesterday that once fired is as old as you should use for accuracy because the inside of then shell gets ruff. I don't see how that's makes a difference because the slug ride the wad out but going to abide to it.

35remington
02-05-2013, 09:39 PM
If roughness matters the wad can be mica'ed but shoot and see first.

Dumpster dive for hulls. That's how I get mine.

kd5exp
02-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Only range I know of is on Fort Sill Army Base and they don't like a civilian coming on without complete inspection. I can get on there but I don't mess with it, never see many people there. I have some Mica for some reason, memory fails me at the moment. Got my rifled barrel in today, not what I expected. You can see the rifling but just barely. I'll try it out soon. Weather has been wounder full last couple days. I broke out in a sweat today. I hope this is not a sign of the summer coming on.

kd5exp
02-07-2013, 08:52 AM
I found my Mica and have some dusted. I will try to get out today and try them, weather permitting.

kd5exp
02-11-2013, 10:05 AM
I ordered some Cheddite primed hulls and loaded some up yesterday. Micaed the wads and loaded a light load with 700X and sabot slugs. Went to my neighbors(Little Bit) and we shot some to check them out. We put and empty can of fix a flat on the barbed wire fence and backed out about 50 yards. First shot I made barely moved the can but you could see the grass through the big hole it made. Bit was amazed that I even hit the can. I let him shoot it and he hit it also. He is already talking about deer hunting with this slug. We shot his 223 Contender and he never hit the can. I hit it once but missed 2 times. I told him mine went through the big hole we made. LOL. I am going to try a red dot on this rifled barrel and see how it does. All in all I think this is going to be a real hoot to shoot.

missionary5155
02-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Greetings
The swap even works down here in Peru...
Mike in Peru

kd5exp
02-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Weather has been so bad here I have resorted to shooting games online. Not very many good ones out there is there. Going to be a nice weekend coming up me thinks. Got all my boolits casted and some loaded to test before I do any more.

kd5exp
02-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Windy but warm today but went out anyway. I loaded up some Sabots and tried them out. I was impressed. At 60 yards the wind doesn't mess with them much. I started with 17 gr 700X and worked up to 30 gr before I decided to back off to 21 gr. Shoulder couldn't stand it. Book says you can go to 49 gr of Blue Dot but 40 was too much for this BOY. Couple of fliers but I was pulling a little because of the recoil. I am using some Cheddite primed hulls with WAA 12 wads micaed. The shot gun will have to fill in till primers come back in stock. I need to get a Red Dot scope for this. Next I will play with the Lee 1 oz slug. Pics is 12 rounds.