PDA

View Full Version : Just a walk

DIRT Farmer
01-29-2013, 12:27 AM
It started out as one of those days, woke up with stomach troubles but head out and get the morning work in. I finished up still felt like that "stuff" and thought about ploping in the chair but I knew the tube would only make things go down hill. I had three coyote snares still out and needed to check the back side of the farm.
I picked up the bubbaed 93 Mauser carbine and filled the magazine. No need to get serious I just needed a walk.
I pulled the snares and tossed a few limbs in the fence row, watched three does wander out of the CRP ground and feed around they didn't really spook when they saw me, just wandered off. I was starting to feel better and noticing more of what was around me. I saw a squrriel run up a tree on the fence line and thought about it as I like to eat squrriel but the Lee 135 over 10 grains of green dot at that angle seemed like a bad idea.
The ground had not completly thawed through and was soft, sloppy going still the futher I walked the better I felt. I was heading in when a squrriel ran up a tree about 10 feet almost twenty yards from me. Low and behold a willow almost ten inches through was in a direct line behind him. I closed the bolt, steddied the sights and pulled the trigger. There is some thing to be said for using enough gun. And for making a perfect neck shot when that was what I intended. Feeling like a new man I headed in. Did I say I really like to eat squrriel?

smoked turkey
01-29-2013, 12:51 AM
Sounds like you made a good day out of it. A little outing around the place can do wonders for a man. Good shootin on the squirrel.

Olevern
01-29-2013, 08:57 AM
The only thing better than a squirrel in the pot (or pan) is more squirrels in the pot (or pan). Good job and enjoy the eatin'.

x101airborne
01-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Mmmmm breakfast. Great job!

derrickman
01-29-2013, 04:48 PM
and don't forget the dumplings!!!

DIRT Farmer
01-30-2013, 01:04 AM
Naw my favorite is fried squrriel fried taters biscuts and enough milk gravy to cover the taters and biscuts except for one biscut with real butter and molasses or jelly. Eat enough to not be real interested in breakfast or just have it for breakfast and be set for the day

Idaho Mule
01-31-2013, 09:25 PM
DIRT, I love taking walks like that. The walks around the place (I call them ranch inspections) always make me feel better. Hope your tummy troubles got cured, but they should've since you had fresh squirrel for breakfast. JW

TCLouis
02-01-2013, 10:58 PM
A walk in the woods/outdoors is POWERFUL MEDICINE for body and soul!

More so after a fresh snow!

pls1911
02-05-2013, 10:11 PM
AMEN to a little woods time to clear one's head.
Squirrel.....Mauser.... "Use enough gun???"
HAHAHAHAHA..walks also restore a fine sense of humor.

DIRT Farmer
02-05-2013, 10:40 PM
You know, it is amazing how getting back to normal on eating helps. We do our own meat but my wife came from a large family (12 kids) and wants no part of canning. Prepared is fine with her. A few nights ago I cooked up a pot of beans and corn bread and ate "enough" That and some fence work, And I feel much better. I can't wait to get the Spring greens and a garden out. I have about two lbs of turnip seed left plus some Chinese radishes and about 1 oz of kale seed. As soon as I can hit the food plot ground with a disk That 2 acres will get planted. What I can't eat the cows will.