PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Mould selection

Fernando
01-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Is there a rule of thumb as to bullet selection
Do guns really favor a certain weight over others.
Is it a profile that they prefer.
Just a velocity window.
Say I try a 250wfn vs 250swc and the wfn shoots best
should I stay with that style and try different weights.
Or is there no logic and you must try all of both kinds
at all velocities to find what is best.
Or just pick one that looks cool and work with it til it shoots?

white eagle
01-28-2013, 07:22 PM
being each and every gun has its own like and dislikes its a guessing game
just keep trying and you will find one that works well for you

bigboredad
01-28-2013, 07:48 PM
A lot of truth in what white eagle says for me I have found heavy for caliber works better also the lbt style seems easier to find uaccurate loads for

RobS
01-28-2013, 09:33 PM
I've found that shooting designs of equal weight the one that provides more bearing surface seems to be more accurate. A same weight, same meplat diameter designs can have different bearing surfaces by changing the nose profile from lets say a secant, to a tangent profile or even a nose profile that is a Keith style SWC. Heavier for weight caliber boolits have more bearing surface and is one reason why it's often times easier to find accuracy and with a greater variety of powder to boolit combinations. One also needs to look at meplat diameter as it pertains to application intent and range of distance to be used.

Silver Jack Hammer
01-28-2013, 09:49 PM
There are some rules of thumb as to what boolit weight will provide greater accuracy at different rates of twist, then along comes a revolver that breaks all the rules and shoots better with a boolit weight that the "experts" say is not optimal. I've heard Alpha Precision has recommendations for boolit weight by rate of twist.

Colt SAA's usually favor a boolit with more bearing surface, Ruger Blackhawk's are less finicky.

gwpercle
01-30-2013, 02:30 PM
It's pretty much a guess, but if a certian bullet looks interesting, just post the mould make and number with a description of the gun you will be using it in and velocity/use intended and chances are several people around here have tried it and can let you know on feasibility. Not much around here has not been tried by somebody at sometime. Also another guide is the mould maker... they will at times, Lyman does this , gives a list of which moulds are suitable for what calibers.
gary

44man
01-30-2013, 03:54 PM
There is quite a range of weights most revolvers can shoot and it just comes down to matching velocity of each to the spin. It always comes down to working loads for each boolit.
Problems can crop up if the twist is too slow and you can't spin up the boolit or with a real short barrel that loses just enough velocity to be short of spin.
Real light boolits can be shot at very high velocity but in most cases, slowing them is more accurate.
Heavy boolits need just enough for stability.
The two most common problems are wanting to shoot any boolit as fast as the gun can handle or trying to shoot a very heavy boolit real slow.

RobS
01-30-2013, 11:54 PM
The two most common problems are wanting to shoot any boolit as fast as the gun can handle or trying to shoot a very heavy boolit real slow.

True.............

gunfan
01-31-2013, 12:03 AM
Who wants a moldy bullet? ;)