PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody help me find?

Olevern
01-28-2013, 03:31 PM
A number of years ago I purchased several "jam fit" mandrels to hold a cartridge case by it's mouth while it was spun in a drill and cleaned (usually with a piece of OOOO steel wool).

I can't find the one I purchased for the .224 cases and would like to also purchase ones in 30 cal, 357 cal., 44 mag, 45 Colt and .45-70.

I have done searches on the net to no avail.

Anybody know of a source for these (would want hardened steel, to avoid wear from the steel wool).

thanks,
vern

LUBEDUDE
01-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Last year or so ago, some made something of the sort.

Maybe they will chime in. Or- you can do a search.

Olevern
01-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Last year or so ago, some made something of the sort.

Maybe they will chime in. Or- you can do a search.

Not sure what to search for. What would you call them?

shooter2
01-28-2013, 10:01 PM
I think they were called " case spinners", but my memory increasingly faulty lately.

Olevern
01-28-2013, 10:15 PM
O.K., my third internet search revealed that they were called K-Spinners and they were made by a now-defunct company called Hanned Precision.

So....any of your machinists out there think this is a viable product to add to your line? I would be your first buyer.

BTW, I found out where my .224 K-Spinner went....my reloading buddy, when asked if he had seen it said he had borrowed it several years ago...so, at least I have one caliber.

mdi
01-29-2013, 02:37 PM
I made mine from a hardwood dowel. I used a dowel larger in diameter than the case mouth, chucked it in a drill and tapered it with a file. I sanded it smoothe and it would hold cases quite well for manual polishing...

LUBEDUDE
01-29-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm sorry Vern, I did not make myself clear. I was talking about a search on THis site.

BTW, from what I remember, MDI's idea is what the thread was about.

MT Chambers
01-29-2013, 06:16 PM
I just use tight fitting brass brushes that you would use for cleaning your rifle(but oversize).

largom
01-29-2013, 06:40 PM
I have an old Lee case spinner set which chucks into an electric drill and grips the case rim. Works good but I have not used it in years.

Larry

Olevern
01-30-2013, 02:31 PM
I have an old Lee case spinner set which chucks into an electric drill and grips the case rim. Works good but I have not used it in years.

Larry

Yes, I have those too, they are slow and eventually, working with a large enough batch, start wearing the skin off'n your fingers as you tighten the cases up and loosen them.

The K-spinners you just slide the case down over the taper and it grabs and spins.

Also, the Lee case holders (which are made for trimming) cover the head of the case so that it has to be polished somehow separately.

oldtoolsniper
01-30-2013, 04:32 PM

Mine are called show me case spinners.

Below are the Lee type.

I'm betting you're looking for the ones on top.

I found them on my loading bench! :drinks:

Olevern
01-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Indeed, those in the top picture are the tools I am looking for.

swamp
01-31-2013, 12:01 AM
I would like to have a few myself. Have been making mine useing Delrin rod tapered to size. The problem with the Delrin is it wears down too quick.

Olevern, thanks for starting this thread. Been thinking of those tools for awhile.

swamp