PDA

View Full Version : 457122 mystery

billnconnie
01-28-2013, 02:29 PM
I have a question about my 45-70 load.
I am loading the 457122 over 27 gr. of H4198 with 1 gr. of pillow stuffing to fill the empty space.
I am using Federal 210 primers.
I worked the load up last spring and have been able to get 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds.
During this past deer season I shot and missed or lost a nice buck with this load, the report from the rifle seemed weak and the recoil was almost unnoticeable.
Yesterday with temps. at 35 degrees I took the load to the range and had 2 out of 20 rounds that gave the same results and hit 24 inches low at 100 yds.
Do I need to try a magnum primer or more stuffing (dacron) or maybe more crimp?
I've been loading for 41 years and this just has me mystified.
Oh, the gun is a Knight KP-1 and I have checked the bore and the bullets are .02 over bore size.
Thanks for any help,
Bill

runfiverun
01-28-2013, 02:39 PM
when stuff like this happens it's either not enough powder in the case or weak ignition.
i use 24.8 grs of 2400 with and without the dacron and a crimp you can't see.
with the fed 210 primer usually,sometimes it's a winchester.

i'd look at making sure the amount of powder is consistent.
and that the primers are seated fully to the bottom of the primer pocket.

if those 2 things are correct i'd take a closer look to make sure the powder isn't going bad.

billnconnie
01-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Powder is OK just a year old, but the primers are 10 to 15 years old.
Would increasing the filler help to keep the powder down at the primer?
Thanks, Bill

runfiverun
01-28-2013, 10:27 PM
no adding more does nothing.
it's should allready be held back.
unless you arent fluffing it up and are gettign some powder up in the dacron which isn't being burnt.
but 1gr of dacron should fill up about 1/2" of 45/70 case easy enough.

this is the second post about 4198 in the 45-70 where something weird was happening with the velocity.
the other was about a month ago where they couldn't develop any velocity with a 350 gr boolit.
and was having some severe velocity variatons also.

smoked turkey
01-28-2013, 10:49 PM
I would think about the firing pin spring or something like that if the loads seem to be ok. I have had problems with improper sizing causing excessive headspace. This results in similiar things you have happening. However I wouldn't think that would happen with the 45-70. I'd look at the rifle to see if all is up to snuff there.

billnconnie
01-29-2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the replies;
I don't believe it is something wrong with the rifle as all other loads shoot fine, did try some more loads this afternoon with new primers and just a touch more crimp and the 10 I shot over the chronograph showed a average of 1236 fps with a SD of 37.
Maybe it was the old primers.
Thanks, Bill