PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy questions

MaxJon
01-28-2013, 07:02 AM
I am shooting the Lee C312-1552R in my .303 and want to know what would impact on accuracy the most. Would I be better off keeping the grease grooves inside the neck so the bullet has a fair jump to the lands? Or would I expose the grease grooves to minimise the jump? Either way the bullet base sits in the neck so that's a bonus. Thanks in advance!

rhbrink
01-28-2013, 08:13 AM
My most accurate cast boolit loads almost always have some engraving on the nose so I would seat it out. Try it both ways and see what works for you.

RB

largom
01-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Touching the lands is usually the best but sometimes I back off .005 for certain guns. If you are concerned about grease grooves out of the neck don't lube those grooves. Depending on your lube, it is not always necessary to fill all of the grooves and can be more accurate.

Larry

Larry Gibson
01-28-2013, 01:05 PM
I'd opt or keeping the grooves inside the neck with the GC not protruding into the powder space. That's what I do in my .303 with that bullet because the lube does not pick up dirt and powder residue that way in handling, loading and during firing. If you are using it in a SMLE with , the usual very long throat, issue sights are you and/or the rifle going to be able to tell if there is any difference in accuracy due to seating depth? My .303 certainly can't tell the difference and neither can I.

Larry Gibson

Gunnut 45/454
01-29-2013, 12:42 AM
I try to keep my load just of the lans. Usually will not see to much accuracy loss with .002-.005" off the lans. Especially with pointy bullets. With flat points I might have them just kiss the lans.

1Shirt
02-03-2013, 03:10 PM
In most of my rifles (Milsurps included) I tend to get best accuracy with max blt length that the chamber will allow and that are short enought to fit in the magazine. As to lubed grooves outside of the case, it is a matter of the care in handling. If it works for you great. If not, don't do it. I don't like gas checks below the neck and into powder space, but sometimes it is the only way it works.
1Shirt!