PDA

View Full Version : A Fool and His Money, . . .

Jeff R
01-27-2013, 09:38 PM
. . . Are soon separated. But, I couldn't be happier! I took in a local gun show yesterday and picked up a few items that will keep me moving along the pathway to the first Boolit. I picked up these two molds, a bar of tin, and a 20 pound ingot of linotype. Along with my x-ray lead, I'm a couple steps closer.

I got the 2 cavity mold for $50 and single cavity mold for $45.

To my newbie eye, the molds look like they are in nice condition. One of them is missing the set-screw for the sprue plate hinge screw, in the photo below.

Does anyone happen to know the size and thread for this screw? I am hoping it is an item that can be bought at the local hardware store.

I also bought a small cast iron pot, and on the way home stopped at a plumber buddy's house and walked out with 40 pounds of scrap lead.

I have learned a lot from this forum in a short time. I'll keep you posted as to my progress. It is fun to read threads about other guys first casting attempts.
Thanks!
JR

Alan in Vermont
01-27-2013, 10:05 PM
The setscrew is a standard thread but I don't remember what it is. Take the mold with you to the hardware store and try what they have in #10 diameter. Go with a socket head set screw instead of trying to stay with that skinny screw slot type.

canyon-ghost
01-27-2013, 10:18 PM
429215, I'm impressed!

GT27
01-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Nice find!

Catshooter
01-29-2013, 12:46 AM
Jeff,

Good on you man! Those are two excellent moulds and it sounds like you're getting there. The screw size you want is a 10x32 and yes it's an off the shelf item. The screw that the sprue plate swivels on for both those moulds is a 10x36. Very much not an off the shelf item and Lyman doesn't make them either. Erik at hollowpoint dot com can though.

Welcome to the site Jeff. If you ever get down to Iowa I'd be happy to help you with your learning curve.

Cat

jlchucker
01-30-2013, 12:14 PM
429215, I'm impressed!

The 2 cavity Lyman mold for that boolit is the very first one that I bought, for casting boolits that I used in a Winchester 44 mag trapper. I spent many a pleasant afternoon at my gun club range where I'd pick off clay pigeon fragments that littered the 75 yd an 100 yard berms behind rifle target backstops. The range was configured with trap and skeet ranges off to each side of the rifle range, so there were plenty of little targets littering those gravel-banks that are placed behind the target holders at various measured distances. I've still got the mold. None of the gunrag people ever seem to mention the 429215 boolit much, if at all, but it's a good one. You done well, my friend.

gwpercle
01-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Jeff,
You did good...both bullet designs are desirable and at a reasonable price too. Ain't this FUN ?
Welcome to the club ...you are on your way.
gary

P.K.
01-31-2013, 07:48 AM
Wow, nice haul! And thanks for saving me from wasting BW for a post on that set screw! ;-)

The setscrew is a standard thread but I don't remember what it is. Take the mold with you to the hardware store and try what they have in #10 diameter. Go with a socket head set screw instead of trying to stay with that skinny screw slot type.

Thanks for that!

DrCaveman
02-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Nice 358429. Which one is single cav? I stumbled upon a SC 358429 ideal at my local muzzleloader shop (the only store in my area which stocks molds, that I know of) and fell right in love.

Still my most accurate 38 cal mold. Maybe it has to do with the fact it's single cav, so boolits are more uniform. And I didn't mind the relatively slow pace of single cav. Just buckle down, bang out 500 or so, and you are set for a while. Also like to use it as a partner for another mold, especially a 6 cav which can use a few more seconds to cool. What I mean is that I run both molds at once, one is being filled while the other is cooling.

Jeff R
02-03-2013, 10:57 PM
DrCaveman,
The 358429 mold is a single cavity mold. I hope I have results as good as yours.

I could be wrong, but after two trips to the hardware store, and one to the LGS, it looks like the set screw for the sprue plate pivot screw is a 10X36. My understanding is that, at some point, they transitioned to the 10X32 for the set screw, but this is an early one, I guess. It is a tough find. I called Erik at Hollowpoint. He didn't have any new production, as the 10X36 thread is no longer used. He said that to make some, it would take a couple hours of programming for his CNC machines. But, he checked his secret stash and found a couple old ones. He is mailing one to me at NO Charge. He is a generous man, and I hope I can send him some business someday.
Regards,
JR

P.K.
02-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Jeff,

Good on you man! Those are two excellent moulds and it sounds like you're getting there. The screw size you want is a 10x32 and yes it's an off the shelf item. The screw that the sprue plate swivels on for both those moulds is a 10x36. Very much not an off the shelf item and Lyman doesn't make them either. Erik at hollowpoint dot com can though.

Welcome to the site Jeff. If you ever get down to Iowa I'd be happy to help you with your learning curve.

Cat

Just got back from Lowes yesterday, they have nothing in stock that will fit exactly, the closest I could get was a 10X32-1/2 inch screw for the set screw. A grinder and thread saver will be needed for the "Trim to fit" but that's the "Shade Tree" option.

02-04-2013, 07:38 AM
You're going to love that 429215.