PDA

View Full Version : Lube for Mold

Namerifrats
07-17-2007, 08:10 PM
I read in one of my books that you should use bullet lube for the mold. I'm using an aluminum LEE mold. I don't have any of the stick lube, but I have some Liquid Alox lube that came with my sizer die. Would that work ok?

357maximum
07-17-2007, 10:21 PM
LLAlox will turn to varnish on your mold, and while it will work it is unneccessary aggrevation waiting for a home. A simple (SMALL) dab of any wax or any non food oil on the hinge pin will do you fine..I have been using a high quality 2stroke oil mixed with beeswax into a crayon shaped type stick for my molds lately and it works real well for the hinge pin...just remember very little goes a long long ways, you do NOT want it in the cavities...at all.

A small amount of graphite on the mold top and on the bottom of the spruplate will cure any other issues. I use an artists graphite stick for this. The most important thing on a lee mold is to make darn sure there is no rough edges to the sprueplate or the top of the mold. Give both a once over with a fine file on an angle to BREAK any sharpies. Give the line up pins and sockets a touch of lube too, just do not go crazy...A little dab will do ya.

keeper89
07-18-2007, 12:04 AM
I STRONGLY recommend you get in touch with Daniel (Bullshop) and order up a bottle of his excellent sprue plate lube. I've been casting for nearly 30 years and since I tried some earlier this year, I would not be without a bottle on my casting bench. Great people to deal with, too. The man got out in -40 degree weather to get my order out!!! Try it, you won't be disappointed!

dromia
07-18-2007, 02:44 AM
Ditto keeper89, Bullshops Bull plate lube is the dogs gonads. :drinks:

Link at the botton of the page.

Phil
07-18-2007, 07:12 AM
The Bullshop sprue plate lube is the greatest thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned. Gonna order some more of it when I get a few bucks ahead and make some of his formula bullet lube. GREAT STUFF!

Cheers,

Phil

Namerifrats
07-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Where do I find this Bullshop lube?

tomf52
07-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Link at the bottom of this page. Another fan of his lube here. Nothing even comes close to it in performance.

dromia
07-19-2007, 03:36 AM
As per my previous post, link at the bottom of the page.

John Boy
07-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Namerifrats, go to your friendly NAPA auto store and buy a 2oz tube of Pematex ANTI SIEZE. Does a great job lubing the sprue plate and pins