PDA

View Full Version : Which handgun for a wild pig hunt over dogs?

Boyscout
01-27-2013, 08:25 PM
My son is going on a wild pig hunt with dogs and wants to use one of two handguns: Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Rem Mag or a T/C 35 Remington 14". He wants to use the cast bullets I have loaded for him to try. Lee C240-SWC (21gns Win 296) in the Blackhawk or the RCBS 200 gn RFN in 35 Remington (23 gns Accu 5744-1600 fps). Both shoot very well out his handguns. Any preference? Both CB's are alloy #2.

dk17hmr
01-27-2013, 08:27 PM
The revolver is going to be nicer to carry. But with a good holster the TC isn't going to be bad either. I think its sixes.

Bulldogger
01-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Blackhawk is a faster follow up shot. TC is a great pistol, but only if the piggies don't come a runnin'
BDGR

Bulltipper
01-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Need to have a follow up for potentially dangerous game...

Blammer
01-27-2013, 10:58 PM
revolver

bronte454
01-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Definately the revolver . Have to have follow up shot rapidly

TXGunNut
01-28-2013, 12:33 AM
Depends on the dogs (and hogs). If they'll hold the hog tight I'd put a .22 in the piggy's ear and call it good. Even a good knife will work then. If there's any doubt about the dogs or if they tie into a real scrapper I'd want a big bore revolver...but my 35 Rem T/C Contender is no slouch in the freezer-filling department. I've had good luck with the Hornady 180 gr J-word in 35 Rem but suspect a 35-200 will do nicely with the correct alloy and shot placement.

x101airborne
01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Tell your son to ask the people who own the dogs. Most of the time, the owners dont want people shooting around the dogs and other hunters due to not only the ricochet factor, but you just dont know where everyone is at. I can name 4 hog hunter deaths around here that were due to accidental shootings while hog hunting. And two of them were girls sitting in the back seat of a pickup. I am not trying to scare anyone, but just make you aware of a possible situation you can advoid.

I vote for the revolver if he wants to carry. But a K-bar, or some other sticker like the F-Dick twin edge bleeding knife would definately be in order.

Larry Gibson
01-28-2013, 11:56 AM
The revolver would definately be my choice for shooting a pig bayed by dogs especially if the Contender is scoped. Easier to handle, quicker and availability of quick additional shots is why. Be careful of through & through shots with either if the dogs and pig are moving around a lot, don't want to inadvertently hit a dog. Should be a fun hunt, enjoy.

Larry Gibson

NVScouter
01-28-2013, 12:11 PM
I agree. if the T/c is scoped the FOV is going to be so small it would be easy to not see a dog lunging in.

The revolver would definately be my choice for shooting a pig bayed by dogs especially if the Contender is scoped. Easier to handle, quicker and availability of quick additional shots is why. Be careful of through & through shots with either if the dogs and pig are moving around a lot, don't want to inadvertently hit a dog. Should be a fun hunt, enjoy.

Larry Gibson

Olevern
01-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Open sited revolver - specifically Ruger Blackhawk or Super Redhawk.
In the blackhawk, prefer .45 colt with heavy boolits and heavy loads of H-110.
In the Super Redhawk, .454 Cas. or .480 (but .44 mag will do). Again, heavy boolits and heavy loads. (When I'm down on the ground, to a hawg I'm an identifyable problem and I want the power to turn or stop a charge)

If'n you're young and strong (I'm not so young any more) or not venturing too far from an ATV, ie; not walking or runnin for any length of time, I also like my .45-70 stainless steel revolver (BFR), but carrying that thing any length of time gets old, especially chasin' dogs N hawgs.

bfuller14
01-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Why not try both, and let him decide which is best?

David2011
01-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Agreed on the ability to make a follow-up shot.

I shot a pig with a .44 Mag using a cast boolit (straight linotype). The .44 boolit exited intact after traveling through her diagonally about 20". There did not appear to be any expansion but the boolit didn't disintegrate either. It was a hot Ruger/Contender only load pushing a 255 gr. boolit at 1600 fps out of a 14" barrel.

David

jhalcott
01-28-2013, 06:10 PM
I could not make the decision for you. I would take both, IF the shot was long and I was near a rest, the .35 rem. Up close amid the dogs , the .44 would be used. Carry the contender in a shoulder holster and the .44 in a hip holster.

41mag
01-29-2013, 06:21 AM
Like has been mentioned check with the dog owners.

I have hunted with plenty of dogs and quite a few different owners. Some are catch and tie, some are catch and shoot. The ones who tie don't want any firearms out while they are in the process of grabbing and tieing. The ones who allow the shot usually want you right on top so that your shot is down through the hog and into the ground to avoid hitting anything else.

Personally I would forget the TC and simply take the revolver. I have used both and the TC isn't going to be nearly as maneuverable when amidst a pack of baying hounds that are holding a hog, and if there is a catch dog involved the shot will almost have to be point black to avoid hitting it. They are usually some type of bull mix and when they are turned loose the hog has a world of things going on all at once. It can get pretty wild depending on both the dog or the hog.

When everything goes according to plan you usually come up on the dogs and bayed hog, and when things get right you slip in and drop the hammer within inches of the action.

For a first timer it can get pretty hairy pretty quick if the dogs loose a grip or the hog makes a break.

Wishing him all the best.

blademasterii
01-29-2013, 09:03 PM
A knife for the kill and the revolver for protection. Something with at least an 8 in blade. Grab it by the rear legs, dog's have the head, lift up and put the blade in under the armpit into the heart. Quick, humane and helps the meat flavor. The gun is only if the dogs lose it and it decides you are in the way.

x101airborne
01-29-2013, 11:58 PM
And remember the heart is "taped" to the left side of the ribs just under the leg. Going from the right is the best way to get a good stab.

Olevern
01-30-2013, 11:34 AM
There are many ways to dispatch a hog; if'n ya can, wait until your sister gets there to do the deed, or just pop em in the ear with a .32; it all works if'n they aint slashin at ya at the time.
'Course the above two methods won't work for you if ya ain't a true Texan.:mrgreen:

TheGrimReaper
01-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Definately the revolver . Have to have follow up shot rapidly

I secong this!

smkummer
02-16-2013, 05:05 PM
A friend of mine ended up climbing a tree with my browning B92 44 out hunting hogs in Texas but did not have dogs. Trying to reload a single shot fast if needed would not be my choice over a follow up shot just in case. Pigs can and will run in any direction.

kenyerian
02-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Revolver. You have to be in very close and you have to be very careful not to accidently shoot one of the dogs. Hunting with dogs is very exciting. Have fun.

oldpara
02-16-2013, 05:25 PM
I've never hunted "wild" pigs but when I was younger I put down a fair number of porkers using a 22 rimfire.
Some well over 300lbs.
One or two in the brain pan does the trick, if you can overlook the kicking and thrashing around.
With a well placed shot disconnecting the central nervous system think most any caliber would do.
Ideal conditions apply of course.

TXGunNut
02-17-2013, 12:14 PM
A friend of mine ended up climbing a tree with my browning B92 44 out hunting hogs in Texas but did not have dogs. Trying to reload a single shot fast if needed would not be my choice over a follow up shot just in case. Pigs can and will run in any direction.

Wild piggies do indeed "run both ways" on occasion. Usually stepping aside at the last instant is all that's required but every now and then you have to stop one. I understand they're more aggressive in the southeastern states.

41mag
02-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Wild piggies do indeed "run both ways" on occasion. Usually stepping aside at the last instant is all that's required but every now and then you have to stop one. I understand they're more aggressive in the southeastern states.

Yep they do, and if your in their way they will run you over. Most are simply looking to get away but can slash as they hit you. Most of the ones I have been hit by were sows looking for another place to be in a hurry. Some came straight to me when I shot others were leaving the area where a friend was shooting. Either way in thick brush they don't know who's shooting or from where, and they really don't care, they are leaving.

Foxcatcher
02-21-2013, 02:05 AM
A knife for the kill and the revolver for protection. Something with at least an 8 in blade. Grab it by the rear legs, dog's have the head, lift up and put the blade in under the armpit into the heart. Quick, humane and helps the meat flavor. The gun is only if the dogs lose it and it decides you are in the way.

I have caught and killed a butt ton of hogs around the area sound east of Tampa and this is really good advice. I used a .44 mag starting when I was younger and went to a .357 Ruger Sp101 (or maybe 100) later. We caught most of our hogs live. If we had an order for one to sell we killed it on site with a good knife.

I guess what I'm saying is long story short........take the revolver and make sure your boy listens to every word the dog handler says. I'm sure he will.

Don

Artful
02-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Revolver over dogs, if Stalking the T/C would be OK but I'd want a backup.

2thepoint
02-24-2013, 10:12 PM
I agree with the revolver....especially in close quarters with dogs, handlers, & pigs! It's a ton of fun and the smaller sows are great on the grill!

timberhawk
02-25-2013, 04:02 PM
He'll be happier with the revolver. Easier to carry and additional rounds in the cylinder.

Griz44mag
03-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Me? My 45 Colt XSE loaded with +p 240gr flat nose in a 10 round CM magazine, with a couple of spares in the belt. We are talking hogs here, not aliens or Godzilla.
Contrary to legends, hogs are not that hard to kill. AND you are talking very close range. At point blank, a 22 will work just as well as a 44 mag. And 10 rounds of heavy 45 auto can be unleashed in a matter of 3 seconds, so even a charging 300# tusker is going to go down fast.

ACrowe25
03-07-2013, 10:49 AM
A good amount of people I know prefer the 44 mag Blackhawk. Seems like a gun you couldn't gun wrong with. Like others said, what to do (if using a TC) if one comes charging?