PDA

View Full Version : 35 cal pb alum checks wrinkled?

gutpile
01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
ok I got some sample alum 35 cal pb checks from a member here to try, is it normal for the checks to have wrinkles around the bottom of the check? most do.....but the smooth ones go on slick as......*&^* the wrinkled ones tear and ripup
So I would like to buy 3-500 of the PB alum for testing if the one i can get are wrinkle free......Then after testing
see about getting an order in to Pat. Also has anyone tried the PB dies on copper or brass stock?

gutpile

Gunslinger1911
01-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Hi gutpile,
"Wrinkles around the bottom" , are we talking the disk that covers the base of the boolet ? If so, no - the check should look like a bottle cap. I make 40 and 45 pb checks, trade for 35's - havn't seen or made checks with wrinkles on the base.

Don't hear too much on copper or brass pb checks - sheet or strip would be pricy !

DukeInFlorida
01-28-2013, 11:14 AM
as described in a BUNCH of previous posts, wrinkled gas checks is usully an indication of using too thin of a metal for making them.
For example, if someone used soda can aluminum (very very thin) for 35 caliber gas checks, they would most certainly wrinkle, because there wouln't be enough structural strength in the metal to allow it to form. (visualize bending a piece of aluminum sheet metal in half......... now visualize trying to bend piece of aluminum foil in half, to make the same thing from it)... That's the basic issue with thin metal for making gas checks.

Generally speaking, the larger diameter the gas check, the thicker metal you would want to make it from.

Also, the gas check metal should be thick enough to fill the space/gap between the shank of the boolit, and the finish sized diameter of the boolit.

Even if the gas check snaps on tightly to the shank, if the outside diameter of the gas check doesn't also match the finish sized diameter of the boolit, there will be hot gases leaking past, voiding the purpose of putting the gas check on in the first place.

Wrinkled gas checks, made from metal that is too thin, would have the potential to fail to meet the gas sealing effect that you seek.

Be sure to check the final diameter of the outside of the gas check, after installing and sizing to see if it's going to properly seal. Wrinkled or not.

BTW, I like to use at least .014" thick aluminum or copper when making gas checks for 35 caliber.

reloader28
01-28-2013, 12:17 PM
He was talking about plain base checks not normal shank checks.

Swede44mag
01-28-2013, 06:52 PM
I make my 45 PB checks out of .009 Aluminum flashing with no wrinkles using my Ed Smith design Freechex III.
If the inside of the sizing die is tapered enough it will not tear the checks also a little lube in the sizer goes a long way.

fcvan
01-30-2013, 08:02 PM
I make my 35 and 45 plain based checks from thin soda can, thicker energy drink can, and from Amerimax flashing. The soda can checks look like bottle caps but swage smooth onto the boolit. I have had some tearing of the checks until I got better at seating them.

I use dies from PatMarlins to make regular and plain based checks. The thickest stuff I have used measured .0105 thick and they made pretty and I wrinkled checks. I'm going to buy some Amerimax 66006 which is advertised as .0078 thick. Lowes sells it mail order only, no in store pickup. Even so, it is about $19 after shipping and taxes for a 6"x50' roll. Oddly, that's what I paid for a 6"x50' roll of 68006 at Ace which is advertised as .0092 but measured to .0105 thick. 50 foot is going quite a long ways but soda cans are pretty much everywhere.

gundownunder
01-30-2013, 09:38 PM
The base of the check should remain flat but the sides will have to wrinkle because for a 357 check you are folding a .540" disk to a .357" space and the extra .183" has to go somewhere. Also there is not much structural strength in a .004" thick piece of coke can, so the wrinkles are probably what holds the check to the bullet.

If you're using a Lee push through sizing die to seat your checks it's advisable to push them through base first, and as already mentioned, use a bit of lube.