PDA

View Full Version : Browning Auto 5 questions

Finster101
01-27-2013, 04:03 PM
I would like to set up my Dad's Browning auto 5 for 3 gun. It is an older Belgian lightweight 12 with the gold trigger. I am not sure about what should be done to it or what is available for it. I purchased a used barrel that I can shorten so I do not have to molest the original. Should I have choke tubes installed, or will it be okay without them? Haven't decided whether to go with an optic or sights yet. I would like a 3 round mag tube extension as well, but I am getting lost in nomenclature and cannot determine which ones will fit. Good luck getting someone to return an e-mail or answer the phone these days. If we have a vendor or smith on the forum to supply what I need I will gladly use them. If I sound pretty ignorant on the subject, I am. I know that I could buy a Mossberg or something else for less money and aggravation, but I lost my Dad a few months ago and this is just something I want to do. Any info you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

James

W.R.Buchanan
01-27-2013, 07:40 PM
James: What year was your gun made? If it was in the 60's or 70's I have a Chote Mag extension that will work on it. It won't thread onto my '49 A5 but will go on my '65 A5 lightweight. It is a very rare thing as they are no longer made. It has been sitting on my desk for the last 4 years.

PM me if interested.

Unfortunately you will find very little in the way of aftermarket parts for your gun. You can find replacement stocks and foreends both in wood and fiberglass, and that's about it. Hastings used to make rifled barrels for them so you could use the guns for Deer hunting in IL and places where you can't use a regular rifle. These are again very rare and I haven't seen any advertised for many years. They also required fitting by a competant gunsmith. I would leave the barrel open cyl bore for shooting bird shot at close range, buckshot or slugs.

You can also install sights, (available from Brownells,) and I would recommend Open Sights attached to the barrel only,,, due to the reciprocating motion of the A5 barrel assembly during cycling. Any receiver mounted sight will go in and out of zero with every shot. With sights on the barrel this won't happen. Any optic mounted to the barrel will take a sever beating during cycling, but mounted to the receiver will be the same story as any receiver mounted sighting system. Open sights are the short answer.

What you want to do is fine,,, it's just that you will be limited to how much you can do. However to think that the gun is not up to the task is foolish. The Army used many variations of the A5 made by Remington and Savage for CQB roles in WWII and after. I have seen many for sale at gunshows. I have yet to see a Belgian made Browning Riot Gun however as those were made for after WWII and were always sporting guns. They would still work just fine, it doesn't matter what name is on the receiver an A5 is an A5.

You will have to learn how to run the gun, which will be slightly different than running a Rem 1100 or other auto shotgun, but not any significant amount different. You will have to reload more often, but that's half the fun.

Good Luck and let me know on the mag extension.

Randy

seagiant
01-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Hi,
I was going to do the same thing to an A5 and then found a killer deal on a Rem. 870 wingmaster! Here is a pic I came across. I know for a fact that ALOT of A5's were bought by guys fighting in the bush in Vietnam to use in heavy cover and were personal weapons! Recoil operation is pretty reliable!

Finster101
02-02-2013, 11:44 PM
Randy, thanks for the info. We have already spoken about the mag extention and I am anxously awaiting it so I can measure the barrel for cutting.

seagiant, thanks for the pic. It is definately one badazz looking shotgun!

I will do a couple of before and after photos and post them.