PDA

View Full Version : "Saddle Ring" Question

NVcurmudgeon
07-17-2007, 05:48 PM
A question for advanced lever action rifle collectors: Why are the rings on old lever rifles called "saddle rings?" In my very limited equestrian experience, I would hesitate to have a rifle dangling from a single point of suspension on a saddle. Seems like a wonderful way to start a rodeo to me! Now if somebody told me those rings were properly callled "sling rings," like those on Trapdoor Springfield carbines, I would believe that.

fishhawk
07-17-2007, 05:52 PM
seams like more of a hard point to tie it into a scaberd on the sadle to me

MT Gianni
07-17-2007, 07:34 PM
The explanation I heard was a loop of leather through the ring and over the saddle horn and the barrell under your leg was the use in pre scabbord days. Having said that I have been on some ponies that you could almost sleep on and a hurricane would not phase them. I have also had some rides that constant vigilence was the only thing keeping you in the saddle. Gianni

longhorn
07-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Gianni is right--I've seen pictures of that mode of carry--maybe one in Snooky Williamson's book? Once in a great while, you'll run across a '92 or '86 that was evidently carried that way: the forend's side is usually worn away just about to the magazine tube, even the side of the receiver is noticeably worn.

floodgate
07-18-2007, 01:09 AM
I worked out a possible history for the saddle ring some years back, after playing with several early carbines. Originally, the Cavalry carried their carbines slung from a heavy strap over the right shoiulder, with a big snap-hook over the ring. After firing off his one shot, the trooper could just drop the arm to his left and grab his saber. The early muzzle loader ring bars extended fore-and-aft of the balance point, so the carbine could be carried muzzle-up for reloading, or muzzle-down in rain or dusty conditions (with somne risk of shaking the load loose). The breech loaders (Sharps through the Trapdoors) were used the same way, but the bar was all the way aft of the GC, since there was no need (and some possible hazard) in carrying them muzzle-up. I think the sling rings mounted to a staple or screw in the later repeating cartridge carbines may have been kept, perhaps with a thong or strap and hook to keep the arm from being dropped, but mostly - I suspect - out of habit, or maybe nostalgia for the "good old days".

floodgate

Four Fingers of Death
07-18-2007, 02:35 AM
I have seen a few horsemen here carry the levergun in a scabbard and the leather thongswere placed between the cut out or flaps of the scabbard where it was cut in and then lashed to a part of the saddle.

I've never used one, but am, disappointed when I get a lever gun without one, because they just look 'right' on this type of rifle.

Mick.

Junior1942
07-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Mick, Brownells sells a 10-32 saddle ring for about $5. It's easy to install. I installed them on all of my woods rifles. If you lke to hunt in thickets as I do, a saddle ring sling is very handy. The handsome fellow below sure likes his.

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/swivel1.jpg

Bret4207
07-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Jr., that pic bring this to mind-

"You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say......."

ktw
07-18-2007, 09:32 AM
I carry a 94 Trapper slung like Juniors for still hunting. Very handy, very quick and very convenient. Almost like having it holstered.

-ktw