PDA

View Full Version : My Handled Molds!

seagiant
01-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Hi,
Was putting handles on my latest 4-cav. MiHec and thought I would take a pic of the Family with Handles so to speak!

runfiverun
01-27-2013, 04:01 PM
you must hit all your molds with a stick.

seagiant
01-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Hi,
Who me???

Artful
01-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Hmm, is someone missing - I count 7 - that's odd - should be even number of handles, right
- one cooling getting ready to be dumped and on empty on the way to be filled so they go as pairs with similar sized boolits together
- you must need to buy another handle and or mold set to get evened up.

seagiant
01-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Hmm, is someone missing - I count 7 - that's odd - should be even number of handles, right
- one cooling getting ready to be dumped and on empty on the way to be filled so they go as pairs with similar sized boolits together
- you must need to buy another handle and or mold set to get evened up.

Hi,
I just bought 3 pair of LEE handles from Midway. They were on sale for like $11.50 or so. Should of got 4 I guess! I now have a handle for all of my NOE and MiHec molds. Need to get a lidded plastic box to store them in. The nice thing about aluminum and brass molds is you don't have to worry about RUST! That's a big deal in Florida!

41 mag fan
01-28-2013, 11:15 AM

Now that aint nice...insinuating someone beats their kids with a stick!!

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-28-2013, 12:26 PM

OK, I'll bite, what prompted that comment? How could you tell?

seagiant
01-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Hi,
I think by the way I have the mold in the handles, so I have room to swing! Also I am left handed!

runfiverun
01-28-2013, 02:58 PM
yep with the handles facing away from the sprue plate it's a dead give away.
i have tried to whack open a mold with the cutter handle facing the other way,and quickly learned to flip them around to get a better angle while i held the mold against the bench.

if you have them towards the handles you bounce the sprue open and leave a nib on the boolit [then you have to reclose the plate and cut them again]
flipping them around gives you a better chance of a straight cut.

that, and this ain't seagiant's first post i have read. :lol:

seagiant
01-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Hi,
I guess if you are a "Master Caster" you set the sprue plate towards you and open with a gloved hand! I tried that but never warmed up to it. In my younger days I was a framing carpenter and then blacksmithed as a hobby. All that to say I'm pretty comfy smacking something,but try to go as easy as possible with my molds!

I just started noticing that I had unconsciously rotated and or out right bought a few NOE and MiHec molds for various reasons!!!:-D

runfiverun
01-28-2013, 11:37 PM
i finally worked my way up to opening them with my thumb. :lol:

not sayin i don't have a couple of sticks of hickory with some duct tape wrapped around them on the bench.
and i have a ladle or two in the mold drawer too.

dragon813gt
01-28-2013, 11:40 PM
I open mine by hand and have the handles mounted the same way. I don't get what I'm doing wrong?

runfiverun
01-29-2013, 02:47 AM
nothing if it works for you.

when i open a 4 cav by hand i can use the handles as leverage to make them open easier for me.
kinda like opening a jar.
the sprue falls into my palm, and i can just slide it right back into the pot.
when i open a 2 cavity i use my thumb to push it open, and the cutter being right there makes it easier for me to do that.

warf73
01-29-2013, 03:30 AM
Dang it now I have to look at molds and see which way I've got my handles lol I use gloved hand on all my molds except the Lee 6 banger.

BruceB
01-29-2013, 04:33 AM
I'm also a left-hander, and I set my moulds up the same way as in Post #1....

AND, I use a hardwood hammer handle or light plastic mallet to cut the sprues....

AND, in casting upwards of 1/2 million bullets, I have yet to damage a mould with this technique.

seagiant
01-29-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm also a left-hander, and I set my moulds up the same way as in Post #1....

AND, I use a hardwood hammer handle or light plastic mallet to cut the sprues....

AND, in casting upwards of 1/2 million bullets, I have yet to damage a mould with this technique.
Hi,
Right on!!!

armexman
01-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Darn, now you guys are making me think I am left-handed! I started opening molds with left hand and have all the sprue plates set-up for hand cutting.
I found that with a bad right wrist, force can only be applied with left hand; to the point I find myself also using the left to shoot even the 41 and 44's with.
I would post a picture of my molds but I don't believe we have enough bandwidth!;)

mold maker
01-29-2013, 11:51 AM
I used to pound the sprue plate open, but that was before I learned, to use a gloved hand. Youthful inexperience was replaced with the first damaged mold
My first LEE 6 cav mold gave me a hint that my change was correct, and I've been doing it that way for well over fourty years.
Of course, whatever floats you boat, is right for you.

MT Gianni
01-30-2013, 02:49 PM
I am another thumb opener though I use a pin off of a utility crossarm to get things started til its warm enough.