PDA

View Full Version : Broken Shell Extractors: The good, the Bad and the Ugly.

deces
01-27-2013, 02:02 AM
Hello everyone, This is more of a question than anything else, any input is highly appreciated. Recently I have been doing some "extreme caliber conversions" (in the words of Hornady's service dep.) and I know its only a matter of time before I have a case head separation. My question is who makes a tried and true high quality extractor for the 308.?
Thanks, D

wool1
01-27-2013, 02:13 AM
I get mine from Brownells

Artful
01-27-2013, 02:46 AM
I just use my rod and brush to get them out - usually they are not that hard stuck to the chamber.

deces
01-27-2013, 02:48 AM
What about when half a shell gets stuck in a sizing die?

zuke
01-27-2013, 10:17 AM
use more lube!

Artful
01-29-2013, 12:16 AM
And make a case checker before sticking them into the sizing die

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE0A5IsR1dA

Next put in some penetrating lube too get between the die and case. Let it work.

Then take something to cool it down, I've use the air/dust aerosol can then try the brush on the sizing die.
Remember your trying to shrink the brass so it will let go of the die - NOT freeze the die.

Artful
02-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Hello? deces, did you get it out?

deces
02-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Hello? deces, did you get it out?
I finally ordered a shell extractor from midway, still in the mail though. Everything has been on hold till I get it as for the pictures you can see why
I hope I dont blow my face off with my m1a while fire forming the hybrid cases. (better shut the gas system off):Fire:

Chicken Thief
02-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Your soldering technique needs a little tlc ;)

What exactly are you achieving with this "frankenstein" case?

deces
02-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Your soldering technique needs a little tlc ;)

What exactly are you achieving with this "frankenstein" case?
What is the .308 and yes, I need more practice.
I made sure to get enough solder in the joint and then wiped off the overflow. Thats why it the solder is all over the place.

BruceB
02-20-2013, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE:
I hope I dont blow my face off with my m1a while fire forming the hybrid cases. (better shut the gas system off):Fire:[/QUOTE]

My sweet Lord.

What on Earth are you trying to do here?

You're INTENTIONALLY creating weakened cases for use in a rifle that imposes severe stress on cases to begin with..... and THEN you worry about "blowing your face off"????

This may be one of the dumbest "projects"I've ever seen in almost fifty years of handloading. .308/7.62x51 cases are very commonly available; WHY try to make some bastardized adaptation to be fired in the standard chamber of the M1A? Like all semi-autos, the rifle demands care in handloading to make rounds that FIT and FUNCTION properly.

You are doing no favors to either the rifle or your future health.

Have you considered that the HEAT inflicted by soldering is further weakening a case that you have ALREADY weakened by creating a joint in the brass?

If you have some sort of 'reasonable' explanation for this trek into the unexplainable, I'd like to hear it. Broken cases are likely to be the very least of your self-inflicted problems.

deces
02-20-2013, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE:
I hope I dont blow my face off with my m1a while fire forming the hybrid cases. (better shut the gas system off):Fire:

My sweet Lord.

What on Earth are you trying to do here?

You're INTENTIONALLY creating weakened cases for use in a rifle that imposes severe stress on cases to begin with..... and THEN you worry about "blowing your face off"????

This may be one of the dumbest "projects"I've ever seen in almost fifty years of handloading. .308/7.62x51 cases are very commonly available; WHY try to make some bastardized adaptation to be fired in the standard chamber of the M1A? Like all semi-autos, the rifle demands care in handloading to make rounds that FIT and FUNCTION properly.

You are doing no favors to either the rifle or your future health.

Have you considered that the HEAT inflicted by soldering is further weakening a case that you have ALREADY weakened by creating a joint in the brass?

If you have some sort of 'reasonable' explanation for this trek into the unexplainable, I'd like to hear it. Broken cases are likely to be the very least of your self-inflicted problems.

Not to sound like a "Holiday express commercial" but, I got a copy of George C. Nonte's The home guild to Cartridge Conversions.
I started out with two shells one a 45acp & a 7.62x39, I cut the ak round just after the head, then reamed and then inserted it into the semi sized 45. in a 308. die with just under 1/4" overlap. Then flux and solder then full length re size. In theory the 45 case pinching the cut AK round with the solder should hold up, but I do not know.
I was just seeing if I could mock up a expedient 308. round if I must. By no means do I intend to use these exclusively and thank you for your concern and duly warranted warning Bruce.

Artful
02-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Deces, you got a great book George C. Nonte's The home guild to Cartridge Conversions, but even he would only use your case design in an emergency and not as full power loadings.

Go back and re-read that book

deces
02-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Deces, you got a great book George C. Nonte's The home guild to Cartridge Conversions, but even he would only use your case design in an emergency and not as full power loadings.

Go back and re-read that book
This is true.

SOFMatchstaff
02-21-2013, 01:24 AM
Goosebumps, BFGOOSEBUMPS. cant put the rest in print, just to dumb... If you really want to know what it feels like to blow up a firearm, go look into the side of a 50BMG muzzle brake and see if you can see the flash.

deces
02-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Goosebumps, BFGOOSEBUMPS. cant put the rest in print, just to dumb... If you really want to know what it feels like to blow up a firearm, go look into the side of a 50BMG muzzle brake and see if you can see the flash.
Must be nice to have that kind of money... no reason to be a douche bag btw

Oreo
02-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Yikes man! I hope you learned something. Please quit while you're ahead.

Fishman
02-24-2013, 10:00 AM
I hope for your sake and the sake of those who care about you, that you plan to remote detonate these grenades in an inexpensive rifle far far away from you.

Not an expert opinion, just common sense. Solder is used for stuff like water lines at 50 psi. You are using it to contain searing hot gas at 50,000 psi.

Chicken Thief
02-24-2013, 06:05 PM
I for one would like to see a fired case and i do give the initiative http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/score10.gif

PS. A wirewheel will remove the excess solder just fine.

deces
02-25-2013, 11:37 PM
Oh, man. I am never going to hear the end of it on my soldering skills.

deces
02-26-2013, 02:58 AM
A little update, I received my C.J. Weapons broken shell extractor in the mail, not very happy with the quality of the workmanship. I put Teflon tape on the threads and put a cut spring in the recess. Also it was was 20% rusted. (I bet someone is about to have their organ's harvested in china) Yesterday I came up with a preliminary test, In my mind I was questioning the strength of the joint and decided to do a simple crush test. As I applied pressure in my vise the Neck slowly collapsed. then the Shoulder, only then did the Body collapse at about where the joint is bond failed as seen in the picture.