PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 47?

terryt
01-27-2013, 01:56 AM
Hi:

I am looking at a Winchester Model 47 in mint condition. As I recall they were the only single shot Winchester made that cocked and the safety engaged when working the action. It has a Redfield peep sight on it. I do not recall if Winchester drilled and tapped these from the factory. I believe that these are the same as the model 67 except for the cocking and safety activator.

Is this basically the same gun as the model 67? The person selling this gun thinks it is more of target grade quality similar to the model 75. He says he measured the chamber and it is to target specs (what is the differences between target specs and standard specs?). Is the barrel any different that the Model 67? Any information would be aspirated. He is asking $ 200.00 for it witch seems like a fair price being in near new condition/

Thanks,

Terryt

wv109323
01-27-2013, 06:59 PM
They are both single shot .22's. The model 47 was made in 1949 to 1954 concurrently with the model 67. They had peep sights and blade type rear sights. Many of the the rifles of that era were drilled and tapped for the side mounting rear peeps. I would expect it to be original. In those days anything could be ordered from the factory and even delivered to your home.
As far as the match chamber, there is very little standardization with .22 chambers. Each manufacturer has their own dimensions on .22 chambers. There is a Bentz match chamber but it came along well after this rifle was made. Even today many custom rifle makers of .22 bench rifles have different dimensions for their chambers. It is common to cut the chamber to the target grade ammo you will be using. Long story short I believe he is blowing smoke about "the match chamber"
The model 47 is much rarer than the model 67. The bolt is much different that the model 67 and is square like the model 75 or 69. The model 47 was never called a" Match" rifle like the model 75, Model 52 or model 69.
Two hundred may be a fair price because it was not popular and they are much rarer than just about any of the Winchester models.

terryt
01-30-2013, 01:55 AM
Hi WV:
Thanks for the info. I am going go buy it.

Terryt