PDA

View Full Version : DIY Custom Reloading bench for under $100... What I came up with

SheepDogAlpha
01-27-2013, 01:38 AM
Hey all! I just wanted to share my design I came up with for a reloading bench. I will draw up the schematics later on for anyone interested in seeing them. In all I spent less then $100 on it. All parts can be purchased at a lowes or Home depot. I got tired of watching youtube videos of people working on benches that would bend and grimace with every pull of the press or lube sizer. I find that to be dangerous so I figured I would share this design with you all. It is sturdy as hell and will fit atleast two pieces of hardware. This is what I came up with. If you have any ideas for improvement please don't hesitate to comment!.

P.S. The "workshop" isnt finished yet!

This is the bench after first building it. It was missing a few other pieces while I waited for the liquid nails to dry.
This is the workhorse of the bench. I sandwiched two pieces of 1x8 to create a super strong mounting point for the press's
A closer look will show that I bolted the two pieces of 1x8 together with four bolts. This would ensure there was no movement when operating a press.
Here is the finished product. Both the Lee classic turret and RCBS lube a matic are mounted side by side with plenty of clearance. When using them, they feel like they are bolted to concrete.

SPECS:
- This is a 6ft bench with 2ft dedicated to the presses and 4ft dedicated to any other instruments or work.
- There is a 2" edge around the whole bench preventing anything from rolling off the sides or the back.
- It has laminated wall board as a top for easy cleaning and doubles as a surface to use dry erase markers on.
- Plenty of storage underneath and room for leg clearance on press and non press sides.
- Power strip mounted inside lip for easy access.
- 31" high

Materials
- Eight 8ft 2x4 boards
- One sheet 1/2" plywood
- One 6ft 1x8 board
- One sheet of white wall board
- One box of 3" exterior screws
- Four 3/8ths 3" hex bolts
- Eight 3/8 wahsers
- Four 3/8 nuts
- One tube of liquid nails

Over all it is a very durable and versatile bench. You can create and add your own attachments to suit your needs. I also chose materials that would hold up in different weather conditions including moisture. Let me know what you think!

nhrifle
01-27-2013, 04:24 AM
Looks good! I especially like the power strip addition.

A pause for the COZ
01-27-2013, 09:12 AM
That will do. When you get rid of the flex from your bench, its like using completely different equipment.
looks good.

P.K.
01-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Nice budget build! Plenty of real estate up above for a cabinet or two for dies, tools etc.

hiram1
01-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Good job and i bet it works just fine

Recluse
01-27-2013, 05:02 PM
It's amazing what a solid platform will do to enhance a reloading press' effectiveness.

:coffee:

LUBEDUDE
01-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Looks good, Now the real fun can begin!

Remyvtr15
01-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Welp, I like it... I'm bringin' mah truck ova right now..... :)

1hole
01-28-2013, 01:34 PM
It constantly astonishes me that so many guys agonize over press choice, which hardly matters, but neglect bench design/construction as well as the ideal locations of the various mounted tools for a smooth work flow pattern.

SheepDogAlpha
01-28-2013, 03:24 PM
A lot of people forget that the bench is a piece of equipment too and your setup is only as strong as your weakest link. I also agree with flow. It need to make sense to you in how you go about doing things. We are still in the process of setting up the particulars.

o6Patient
01-30-2013, 11:30 AM
The camo is a nice touch..had to go get my glasses to find it. (lol
All the bench you really need, I loaded on a much smaller one for
years down in the "family" room. The good thing about it was
being small I had to keep it well organized.