PDA

View Full Version : Pietta grip frame pin removal

berkmberk1
01-27-2013, 01:18 AM
I have a Pietta 1851. This particular model has two piece grips held in place partly by a locator pin on the back corner of the frame. Now, before I start banging on this puppy, I need to know.......is this a one piece pin thru and thru, or two short pins pressed in from both sides. I purchased a set of partially shaped one piece walnut grips, and the pin is in the way. I don't want to damage anything.

Mike

The Kid
01-27-2013, 03:31 AM
I have never seen a two piece arrangement in a grip frame. That said I haven't fit many grips to the Italian revolvers. The pin may be knurled to hold it in the frame making it hard to remove and it will loosen up if you remove and replace it very much.

Czech_too
01-27-2013, 06:41 AM
I'm curious about this one myself? I just picked up a used '51 Navy in the last month or so and I haven't taken the grips off yet. The schematic doesn't show a pin,
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/parts/pietta-parts/pietta-1851-navy-parts.html
so it's gotta be a design change somewhere along the line.

Dan Cash
01-27-2013, 08:48 AM
I believe you will find that it is a single solid pin and not too tightly installed. Place the grip on a bench blocik and tap the pin gently with a brass hammer. Bet the pin moves. If not, plan B.

bob208
01-31-2013, 09:58 PM
the 51 navy will have one pice grip.