PDA

View Full Version : Need some stones

JSH
07-17-2007, 08:11 AM
I have several stones for action work and can't lay my hands on them. I was just wondering if any of you may have some extras. I did find my knife edge stone and it was in three pieces, )&^%&$!!!. Have no idea how that happened as it was still in the leather case in the 30 caliber ammo box.
PM me if you have any you would part with.
I priced them at Brownells and don't want to mortgage the house fro some rocks,lol.
Jeff

mike in co
07-17-2007, 02:25 PM
its all your fault....( arkansas and all) the cost of stones has gone thru the roof!

i needed two for the fixture i bought, but could only afford one....the other was 50-60 bucks!

danski26
07-17-2007, 04:05 PM
I just made one into a three piecer yesterday! #$%%#%!!!!

nicholst55
07-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Though I've never tried this, I have read about repairing broken stones in an old copy of the Army's FM on Hand Tools. This is from back in the days when Johnny could read, and manuals had words instead of just pictures.

IIRC, you align the pieces on a level surface and glue them together with rubber cement. I would probably degrease the pieces first, and then apply some clamping pressure once the glue was applied.

Once the glue sets, you true the stone on a hard, level surface, with coarse grit wet-or-dry paper. Now I have trued stones to restore sharp edges before and it works fairly well, although it is a tedious process.

Y'all might want to try it out on your broken stones, and see how it works. Not much to lose besides the cost of the rubber cement.

leftiye
07-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Yeh! I got that problem too. Need some stones! But for the kind we're talking about here, they show up a lot on fleabay in the gunsmithing section (hunting/gun accessories/ gunsmithing equipment). Use crazy glue on them!

JSH
07-17-2007, 07:17 PM
its all your fault....( arkansas and all) the cost of stones has gone thru the roof!

I noticied and that was why I had posted here. When I statrted looking for them and couldn't locate them I thought the heck with it, will just order from Brownells. Got a brand new catalog and looked through it, you would trhink they were ALL diamond stones for the price.
I did locate one from a friend that should do the trick, but would still like a good knife edge stone.
Jeff

KCSO
07-17-2007, 08:19 PM
For the most important work I like the ceramic stones as they seem to be a lot less fragile. I have trued bench stones but I sure wouldnt look forward to trying to true a stone so small I couldn't hang on to it in the first place. I figure that stones are like taps and any job i do with them is pro rated to the cost of breakage. I do order mine from MSC and they sre a lot cheaper than Brownell's and I think Midway is some cheaper also. I think Brownell's is like the gunsmiths Snap On as they seem to charge a lot for the yellow label.

Nobade
07-17-2007, 10:28 PM
If you haven't tried them, check out the ruby stones Gesswein sells. I've NEVER seen anything that worked so well on trigger jobs. They will also cut carbide, so you can sharpen tools with them. The only drawback is the price, but they last forever so it's a little easier to swallow.